Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    freelancer

Training in a pool. Not sure why but….

[url]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7041808517735823325&q=krav+maga&hl=en

lotar

Pool training is a Kapap training method. I have never seen it used in KM,
    Someone must have seen a training session of Kapap, and used the idea.

maskedkat

Interesting. I can definitely see how practicing kicks and punches with the added resistance would be great training. The chokes and stuff? I don’t know….

but hey, this could be a whole new realm… \”AQUA-KRAV!! The hot new kardio kraze! This ain’t your grandma’s aqua aerobics!\” 😉

anonymous

Damn, there we go again with the cardio angle… 😉

Unfortunately I couldn’t see the video. Is it on youtube? What does it show exactly?

We had a thread a long while back about fighting in a pool. I’ve never done KM techniques in the water, but I’ve tried some punches and kicks. One advantage, in addition to the added resistance, is that the water keeps you up and it’s much easier to keep your balance that way. So you can do kicks very slowly, hold the position, and get a feeling for how to do it correctly.

This works well for spinning kicks, too. One thing I’ve tried (in a Vegas pool), was a scissor kick takedown. For that, you usually have to jump into the air, get one leg in front of your opponent and one leg behind, then scissor both legs to take him down. Really hard to practice in the gym, because you can’t do it slowly if you have to jump up. But in the water you can kind of float into it and get a good idea about how it is supposed to work.

I’ve also done light sparring in the water. It’s kind of like slow fighting, but forced slow fighting, because it simply isn’t possible to go fast in the water (when your limbs are below the surface).

I’d be interested to know how KM techniques would be adapted for fighting in the water. If someone chokes you and pushes your head underwater for example, or headlock, pushing you down, below the surface. Would the technique be similar to the regular one? For example, would a pluck work in the water (where your movements will be naturally slower, so you will be less explosive with your technique)? How about counters (such as groin shots for the headlock from the side defense)? Seems as though it would be hard to hit with any amount of power under those circumstances, so one might need to try and squeeze/pinch instead, also a groin pull instead of punch may work.

Are there any specific KM water/underwater techniques?

beachbum

I wouldn’t want to find out first hand.

I suspect Newton’s laws of physics pretty much rule out many of the combatives, including the pluck (your arms coming up is going to send your body down, every action has an equal and opposite reaction after all). It may work in a pool or shallow water that you can stand in, and the ground will provide the requisite normal force, but open water fighting (or even the deep end of a pool potentially), ugh.

As you state, it’s likely a matter of strength and pressure, going to be more grappling and maybe very short range strikes.

clfmak

If the 60s have shown us anything, its that it may also be a matter of knives, spearguns, and crazy guns that shoot electricity.

clfmak

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1136524052238639795

I remember seeing this a while back. From time to time in San Diego I’ve seen fights between surfers in the water (on land, too). Territorial locals and such.

maskedkat

I was thinking about that… I’ve heard surfers can be ungodly territorial.

Hard to see with all the bystanders, but it looks like that guy got some well-placed elbows and hooks in there.

whatever

Pool training is not Kapap method, simply we train KM in the water. This is not unusual in Israel…Close to the beach…

anonymous

What kind of training do you do? Do you actually do the techniques in the water? Do you have exercises where you are pushed underwater and then have to defend from there (choke for example, or headlock)?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: