Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    johnwhitman

Hey, everyone. I’m posting this here and in the Law Enforcement section as well. This is a reminder of why we’re doing the work we are doing. The following was sent to us by one of our top Force Training Instructors:

\”Here is a edged weapon defense story for you from the Denver Police Department told to me by the officer himself:

A Denver PD officer is doing traffic enforcement and pulls over a drunk driver. The guy is totally uncooperative and drunk, cussing saying he is not going to get out of the car. The officer opens the driver door and uses a twist lock to get the supsect out of the car. As he exits the car, the officer feels the suspect start to spin on him and sees him making a punching movement towards his head. He had just gone through a KM edged weapon instructor course so he blocked what he thought was a punch and used an elbow strike to the head as a counter. The officer heard something metal hit the ground and saw a large folding knife laying on the ground next to them. He immediately followed up with knees strikes and the suspect collapsed to the ground. When he took the suspect to jail to book him they noticed that he had large scares and cut marks across his chest (the officer said they were in the shape of X’s). He asked him where he got those scars and he said that he had been in alot of knife fights. When they ran his rap sheet they found he had been arrested 17 times and most of them for ADW with a knife. This guy was a knife fighter.

The officer has a backround in Tai Boxing, JKD and Mixed Martial Arts and he told the class that he liked the KM but he thought he would use something else in the field. He said it came out of him so naturally that he didn’t even thing about what he was doing and he never saw the knife, only the punch. He ended his story by saying that is TOTALLY sold on KM and for them to take the training serious.

Let everyone at KMW know that KM is saving lives!\”

mara-jade

Wow – that’s awesome 😀 . I’ve been sold on KM since I started doing it.

anonymous

Another Story

One of our student is a security guard at an Embassy. Once a visitor arrived with an envelope, which he wanted to take in. Our studen told him the regulaion is no closed – that was a big envelope – envelope van be taken in. The guard told him 3 times. THe guy was very agressive, told the guard he has an appointment in the Embassy.

This went on and on, and finally, the visitor pulled a knife very fast. THe guard grabbed his arm, hit him on the face, took him down to the floor. Then police arrived, and took over the situation.

Finally turned out, the visitor just wanted to open the envolope with the knife, as the guard told him, no CLOSED envelope can ban taken to the Embassy. But what we know – and our student realised – the technique works, and very effective.

leftie79

Boy am I glad I am learning KM! Never know when I will have to use it (hopefully I will never will).

markx3

Hereís another cool story. When I was going through the security check point at the Denver airport last Friday I was wearing a Krav Maga shirt. A Denver Police officer working the screening area noticed my shirt and immediately approached me. He was very excited to see the shirt since he told me he trains in the Force Training curriculum. As I was getting all my stuff together he told me that he was just training with Londale Theus who was just out in Denver. He couldnít stop talking about how good of an instructor Londale is, and how much valuable information he teaches. The officer told me 2 stories of how he had to use Krav Maga in the airport; one story was defending against an upward knife attack. The officer told me heís been training in Judo all his life and during the stress of a violent attack he was never able to use it on the job. The officer said once he started learning Krav Maga, he was immediately able to apply what he learned in real world situations. The officer told me he only gets to train when either Landale comes out to Denver, or when he goes out to L.A, so I invited him to train at my school which isnít too far away from where he lives. It was really cool how a t-shirt can make people instant friends.

siayn

Hey Mark, they disabled PM’s on this board so I have to post here:

I am in Denver too. I attend Competitive Edge over in the Highlands Ranch area. What school are you at?

Frank

markx3

The Aurora school.

anonymous

Hey John,

Great story!!

kmman,

You said the guard GRABBED the other guy’s arm? Was that a Krav Maga defense? Sounds a bit more like Haganah.

kmsf

The guy wasn’t stabbing him – just pulled the knife – and according to the story wasn’t planning to stab him. So what else could he do but grab the arm? It wasn’t in motion. This isn’t exclusive to HaganaH or to Krav, it’s just common sense. If you wait till the stab is comming in all cases you may just be too late.

anonymous

I was just wondering, because I know that in Haganah they grab the knife arm instead of blocking it the way we do. But you are right, since he wasn’t actually stabbing it would probably be the same defense in either style.

eddie-c

I’m in Denver also(I train in Broomfield) and as of yesterday finished and was certified as a Force Training Division Instructor. The class was in Boulder County and was also taught by Londale Theus, assisted by the DPD staff.

DPD, from all accounts, has been VERY enthusiastic with the transition to KM and more and more Colorado PDs seem to be following suit (Boulder County, Englewood, Lakewood, Glendale, Golden)…It’s effectiveness speaks for itself.

On a side note, if you ever get an opportunity to train with Londale Theus, I strongly recommend that you do. The week long course was fantastic and Londale is an outstanding instructor who brings nothing but passion and enthusiasm to the classroom.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: