Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga in the Movies & TV?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I was curious how many movies/TV Shows we can come up where actors are supposed to be KM practitioners. Now I donít mean in a bio I mean more a long the lines of Jason Bourne or Jennifer Lopezís character in the psycho boyfriend movie. Where they actually mention KM or DO KM in the show.

Heres my list off the top of my head

Jennifer Garner in Alias
    Tony Almeda in 24
    Jenifer Lopez in ìEnoughî (was that the title?)
    Jason Bourne
    The TV show Numbers the FBI woman is supposed to be an instructor
    Leonardo Dicaprio Blood Diamond
    Geena Davis movie where she was a hitman who lost her memory

Any more?

krav8541

Tom Cruise in \”Collateral\” does a perfect counterattack and takeaway of a baton weilding bodyguard in the nightclub scene. Textbook stick defense. Check out the \”extras\” and the making of/director’s commentary by Michael Mann. A real education on movie making. Cruise underwent 3 straight months of h2h, CQB, Combat Pistol, weapons training before filming even started, so as Michael Mann stated in an interview, paraprasing, Cruise would be an actor who also happened to be proficient in being a hitman, would have the tools of the trade, and could react without thinking about it, instinctively. One of his instructors was Israeli as well.

unstpabl1

Why does Jason bourne come up. I remember Damon talking about the 1st one and it was Kali. He was trained at Inosantos. did they mention Krav in a latter movie? Any way krav shouldn’t be mentioned with Bourne because in the book it takes place in the70’s as Bourne was setting up Carlos the Jackal.

Though we gave France The Jackal, Billy Waugh an American found him, pretty much in the same place Osama started spewing his rhetoric. Great book called \”Hunting The Jackal\”. Billy is the real deal He spent his 71st or 72nd birthday with an Ateam hunting AQ and the Taliban in Afganistan in the mountains,late 2001 early 2002

giant-killer

Yeah, I don’t recall Bourne doing KM or talking about it. I know Matt Damon has a professional boxing trainer, who was also mentioned in the credits, but I didn’t see anything about KM.

Tony Almeida is supposed to be a KM expert according to the website, but I don’t recall seeing him do or mention KM in the movies. There are some KM moves in John’s 24 book, though.

Even in \”Enough\”, did J-Lo mention Krav Maga? I honestly don’t recall. Anyway, I don’t think all of the things she did in the fight scenes were KM moves, but some might have been.

krav8541

According to the extras on the Bourne Identity, \”Making of a fight scene\”, Matt Damon is trained in Kali. J-Lo trained with a private KM instructor, complete with Level 1 pad drills, eyes shut, then getting hit hard with a pad and attacking. The guy training her had a KM shirt on, and the pad (if memory serves) had the KM symbol on it, good old fashion shameless advertising 8) . The training scenes in \”Enough\” were realistic, but then she goes looking to fight her ex, something NOT taught in KM, and debated on this forum some time ago.

nd6171

The American Pie girl studies Krav Maga.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Michael Clark Duncan just startedÖ now that is a very big man.

glenngordon

We trained Leonardo di Caprio for Blood Diamond, Brandon Frazier for the Mummy 3, two characters for and episode of The Gilmore Girls, and some others that we are currently training that I can’t mention yet….

la-revancha

What about Wade Allen: MI-3 and Munich?

For shame, people.

giant-killer

Yeah, but he was only a stuntman in those, right? By the way, was there KM in \”Munich\”? Would make sense, but not sure I saw any.

Glenn, why can’t you mention the celebs yet? Are they too shy to admit to their newfound skills? Reminds me, Jim Belushi was in our ground fighting class for a while some years ago. Not sure if he took KM, too.

glenngordon

Giantkiller,

Chuck told me a story about Jim Belushi a long time ago. Apparently he saw Sam Sade and thought it would be funny to walk up and push him….Sam didn’t know who he was and didn’t think it was funny….

Anyway, we can’t mention them because they are still currently training here.

Wade also worked on the Batman Begins set as a stuntman…Apparently he got to drive the Batmobile around Chicago. For some reason he won’t change jobs with me although I tell him the kids are a lot of fun….:)

ryan

The actress in the new Bionic Woman show is being trained by Troy Straith, owner of one of the RTCs in Canada.

la-revancha

\”Yeah, but he was only a stuntman in those, right? By the way, was there KM in \”Munich\”? Would make sense, but not sure I saw any. \”

No. There are scenes in both were you get a clear shot of his mug. I recall telling my ex, who has met Wade, during MI-3 how funny it was that little Tom Cruise proceeds to thrash big, burly Wade in an elevator.

glenngordon

Wade got his head cracked numerous times in the big Swat scene at the end of Mr. and Mrs. Smith….I think he said they reshot that scene 20 something times and Brad would just smile at him real big after every take….

giant-killer

Yeah, I remember seeing Wade in the elevator with little Cruise. I didn’t even know he was in the movie ’til I saw him. So, I was thinking, \”hey, isn’t that…\” and then he was already getting beat up… 🙁

Whatever happened to Jim Belushi by the way? He was nice. I was surprised he would take the regular ground fighting class with all of us ordinary folks, most movie and TV guys would take only privates I would assume. Yeah, there are a couple of guys at the NTC whom I think it would be funny to push, but, thankfully for me, I’ve so far been able to supress those urges… 8)

Glenn, take all of the kids, throw ’em into the Batmobile and give them the ride of a lifetime… 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: