Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums Krav Maga in VB?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I just happened upon this forum, found through google. I am currently in VB and trying to find a training facility. I did a little bit of the basics while living in Colorado Springs with instructors who taught el paso county sheriff’s department, and thoroughly enjoyed it. After i moved to VB i looked up places to train, but was slightly miffed when i saw almost all of them were done at ATA stuidos. To start, let me say i have nothing against ATA or its practitioners, but i have heard that they practice using touch sparring, something that does not fit with what i understand of Krav Maga, and my biggest worry is Krav Maga taught at a facility where ATA is taught might be influenced by it. If there is anyone here that is from VB and trains in one of the studios and can tell me my worries are unfounded, or trains at a fully Krav Maga facility that isn’t listed online (you should tell your instructors to get a web page :-S )please let me know.

Also, if you’re a moderator and there are other threads for VB i’m sorry I couldn’t find a previous one and I also apologize if this is in the wrong topic. I’ve been on other forums that use vBulletin and i know it tends to be a topic of grivance.

-Thank you kindly

bradm

Re: Krav Maga in VB?

I trained in Krav maga at two different ATA schools. Sparring in the Taekwondo classes are point sparring or touch sparring as you mention. However, I’ve been clocked pretty hard during some of those sparring sessions, especially in the Black Belt classes. And punching to the head is not done, kicks to the head are okay.

When we sparred in the Krav classes, it was a different story. We punched to the head, kicked to the legs, body and head. For safety reasons, we did not use 100% power. Usually we hit with 25% to 50% power at the most. Have you ever been it by a 250 pound man at 25 – 50% power — it can hurt. The Krav at some ATA schools is very good. And then, at some it is not so good. I’ve experienced both. Good luck.

I train at an ATA/Krav Maga/MMA school and each class is taught to the principles it follows. That is TKD tournment sparring in TKD class, Krav sparring in KM class and full MMA rules in the MMA class. Don’t let ATA stop you from at least trying a class. Any reputable school should let you try or watch a few classes before signing up for anything.

aseamomma

I am a Krav student at the ATA located on Princess Anne Road in Virginia Beach; I am also a TKD student there. Just so you know, when we spar in Taekwondo, we wear full padding (by the way there isnít any ìtouchî sparring going on amongst the adults because of all the gear). However in the Krav Maga classes, I can tell you it is totally reality based. Comparing sparring in Taekwondo to that of Krav Maga is like comparing apples to oranges. There is no comparison!
    Master Thomas is adamant that we train like we are defending ourselves on the street so much that he purchased the High Gear suits for the class. If you are familiar with those, then you know we really can go at the person attacking us. Each class I walk away having received an awesome workout but more importantly I have worked on my ability to protect myself.
    Honestly the bottom line is thisÖtry a class at the ATA facility and see what it has to offer, that is what I did and it protected my ass when I needed it to.

timebandit

I have been a student of the Princess Anne ATA Krav Maga for 6 months now. I was looking for a reality based combative style of martial arts that pushed me physically. I have been very pleased with the training I have received at the Virginia Beach ATA location. They train with the High Gear suits. These have the added benefits of being able to strike as hard as I like while not hurting the other students who are also working on their combat skills. I have been happy with the Krav training and will continue to train with them. I recommend basing your decision on what you do in your free trial class, not on what you have heard. Like BradM stated: “The Krav at some ATA schools is very good. And then, at some it is not so good. ” Good luck with your decision.

krujoe

I’ve trained at the ATA academy in Chesapeake/VB and they have one certified Krav Maga instructor. He does not teach full time. The other “KM instructors” are “certified” under his ATA Combatives system or some other crap. Besides myself, I know of one other KMW certified instructor. I’ll PM you with the details of the other instructor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: