Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sdewitt10

Hey guys I’m new to the forum,

I’ve recently watched all three of the “Bourne” movies and was very impressed with the fighting styles I was told were used in it(Krav Maga and Kali).

I just have some general ?’s
    1. How does it fair against multiple simaltaneous attackers/weapons?
    2. How does it fair in regards to other fighting styles (what does it matchup well with and have problems with)?
    3. How do Krav Maga and Kali differ?
    4. Would bjj be a better option overall as I heard 95% of fights end up on the ground?

Thanks again,

stuartf

Re: Krav Maga/ Kali

1. How does it fair against multiple simaltaneous attackers/weapons?

Krav is designed to handle multiple attackers and weapons.

2. How does it fair in regards to other fighting styles (what does it matchup well with and have problems with)?

This question is almost impossible to answer. I recommend reading the wikipedia page on Krav Maga at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_maga to get an idea of the history and principles of Krav.

3. How do Krav Maga and Kali differ?

I’m not as familiar with Kali, but I’m pretty sure they don’t have gun disarms 😉
    Based on their wikipedia page it also looks like they don’t have any ground fighting.

4. Would bjj be a better option overall as I heard 95% of fights end up on the ground?

BJJ is a great art, but Krav emphasizes keeping the fight off the ground. We’re training from the perspective of a real fight, you’re very vulnerable on the ground to a second attacker or improvised weapons (rocks, bricks, bottles). We have techniques for the ground, but the emphasis is different from bjj (get out, get up).

oldkmdude

If you are planning to only fight 1-on-1 without any of your opponent’s buddies stomping on your head once the fight hits the ground then, yes, BJJ is better.

It’s kind of like asking, who’s better at running: a triathlete or a marathoner? Well, the marathoner of course. The triathlete can do a lot of things well, but not as well as someone who specializes in doing one thing well.

In a 1-on-1 fight, you’re probably better off with BJJ or Muay Thai. Sure, there are some people who will tell you that Krav Maga’s magical groin kicks will overcome all, but I kind of doubt it. The emphasis in KM is on being able to handle a wide variety of situations under less than ideal circumstances.

unstpabl1

There is no ULTIMATE Magical martial art that will allow you to kick azz like Bruce Lee in Enter The Dragon

Kali is an awesome system with a lot of fluff. Krav is not the end all of self defense that will allow you to beeat everyone up. In the end it’s not what you train in but How you train it

Kali/Eskrima is a weapons based system. you learn weapons first and develope those offensive and defensive attributes. Then learn empty hands. Usually there is not a lot of empty hand focus. They also tend to knife duel. Not sure how often that happens but it’s useful as it is translated from or to the stick and improvied weapons. Krav teaches improvised weapons

johnny0k

Krav Maga incorporates ground fighting and counterattacks to some of the most common ground attacks and submission style moves. If Krav did not have any ground defense, I don’t think it would be as effective… especially now with popularity of UFC. You may come up against someone who thinks they are the next champ.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: