Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga limited in Australia

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    luke

Sup gentleman,

My name is Luke and I’m from Perth, Australia. krav Maga has pretty much just hit our shores, but theres one problem… theres limited if any instructors here and the ones that are, are situated in the Eastern states… disappointing.
    Apparently theres a instructor’s seminar in Sydney soon but study is a priority atm so thats out of the question.

My query is…

a) How would one learn KM by ones-self
    b) With no partner for technique progression are there methods that are just as effective on an singular level

I’m curious because I was thinking of buying a few training dvds but thought, ‘what would be the point if theres no-one to train with?’
    you feel me?

Maybe the best bet is to come over to the U.S and train with you guys… will have to see.

holla.

andy-m

G’day Luke,

Just saw your post and thought that I would drop a quick reply. Krav Maga is progressing strongly on the East Coast of Australia (for non-Aussies, this is where 80% of the population is) and really took off in 2002 or thereabouts and Eyal and the Global Instruction Team make regular visits there for civilian, military, LE and VIP courses and updates etc. There are a stack of instructors over there. I understand that there are not too many on the west coast though. I used to live in Perth as well so I know how you feel about everything being on the east coast!!!!!! Anyway, I know there is at least one KM instructor, Michael Chan, in Perth who runs classes at Hammersly (three times a week) and Subiaco (twice per week). I don’t know him personally, but his number is 0403 782 539 (public listing).

With regard to the DVDs, the joint IKMF/KMWW ones are pretty good IMHO, but obviously there is no substitue for training with a partner/group under a good instructor.

Anyway mate, hope this helps some. Let me know if you want other Aussie-specific info and I will see what I can do to help.

Cheers,

Andy

giant-killer

Yes, the DVDs are good. There is also a new book “Complete Krav Maga” by John Whitman and Darren Levine, that shows all of the techniques up to Brown Belt with pictures. You could google it. Then there is a book by Imi Lichtenfeld and Eyal Yanilov “How to Defend Yourself Against Armed Assault”. That one shows all KM weapons techniques, also third party protection.

I hope you’ll find someone to train with!

luke

Thanks for the reply Andy/GK, I appreciate it.

Ill give Michael a ring tomorrow and sort out some training but yeah Perth is a beautiful place but unless your in the military it just lax in areas of tactical combat… maybe I’m not looking hard enough.

I heard theres a Colorado KM camp in February, looks very cool but intimidating at the same time. Id more than likely get hammered by the Americans, I can just see it now, LOL.

Andy could you please pass on instructors from the eastern states for me please.

thanks.

andy-m
    quote Luke:

Thanks for the reply Andy/GK, I appreciate it.

Ill give Michael a ring tomorrow and sort out some training but yeah Perth is a beautiful place but unless your in the military it just lax in areas of tactical combat… maybe I’m not looking hard enough.

I heard theres a Colorado KM camp in February, looks very cool but intimidating at the same time. Id more than likely get hammered by the Americans, I can just see it now, LOL.

Andy could you please pass on instructors from the eastern states for me please.

thanks.

G’day Luke,

In know what you mean about Perth being bereft of tactical training. I was there in the military though, so I was lucky in that regard! Anyway, to answer your question, there is a complete list of active instructors at http://www.ikmf.com.au . Just follow the instructor locations link. There is also another Aussie-specific site at http://www.kravmaga.com.au.

Don’t be intimidated by the KM fraternity. Everyone I have dealt with, irrespective of affiliation, both Australian and foreign (US, Canadian and Israeli for me)has trained hard but has been hugely welcoming to those who want to train. Anyway, hope you find what you are looking for mate, and safe training.

Cheers,

Andy

robbie-ross

Re: Krav Maga limited in Australia

Just thought I would suggest an online store for the books and DVD’s you are after
    http://www.kravshop.com

Pretty cool stuff

Peace

mara-jade

Gday Folks!

I apologize if I missed any of y’all before – just wanted to welcome you to the forum:wav:

I’ve got the books and DVDs GK mentioned – excellent stuff:D:

andy-m

G’day Mara_Jade,

Thanks for your kind words of welcome from the Lone Star state! I was down in Austin not so long ago and had a ball. Unfortunately I didn’t get to San Antonio but hear it is great. I agree with you and GK about the value of the DVDs and also the books by Eyal and Imi, and Darren and John. Hopefully Luke has found what he is looking for back home, and has started his KM training. Luke, if you are still on here mate, drop us a line and tell us how it is going for you.

Best regards,

Andy

mara-jade

quote Andy_M:

G’day Mara_Jade,

Thanks for your kind words of welcome from the Lone Star state! I was down in Austin not so long ago and had a ball. Unfortunately I didn’t get to San Antonio but hear it is great. I agree with you and GK about the value of the DVDs and also the books by Eyal and Imi, and Darren and John. Hopefully Luke has found what he is looking for back home, and has started his KM training. Luke, if you are still on here mate, drop us a line and tell us how it is going for you.

Best regards,

Andy

Hey Andy,

Shoot, you need to be in San Antonio for Fiesta in April – almost 2 weeks of partying(4/18/08-4/27/08):D:. Being a resident here, I don’t head downtown all that much but Fiesta’s pretty cool. As a matter of Fact, that’s around the same timeframe Darren’s coming here too:woohoo:

Luke – Let us know what’s up man :D:

andy-m

Hey Mara_Jade,

I would love to come down to San Antonio in April, but I am not sure if I can swing it. I am coming down to DFW in late Feb for a seminar with Avi Moyal, and am unlikely to be able to get there again so soon afterwards. Time is running out for me as I head back to Australia in twelve months. You never know though!

Hope you have a great Christmas and happy new year.

Best,

Andy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: