Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gwalsh-d92

Should I let student train above their current rank?

Attachments:

longroad

Re: Krav question

gwalsh

This is an interesting question for it implications on the ranking system, need to test and individual school mentality. Since I do not see any feedback yet, I will throw my lot out there.

I think it is OK to teach lower level students advanced material if done the right way. Let me try to elaborate. I would NOT allow a Level I student to take Level III classes without having adequately tested to that level. This would undermine any ranking system and need to test for advancement. In addition, any student you do not allow to train higher up may get pissed and would piss off the higher rank students. That being said, exposing a Level I class to a Level III technique may be beneficial. When people think Krav, they think about the weapons, multi attacker and modern combat scenarios. They really are not thinking about doing straight punches and groin kicks for months. Giving them a preview of higher levels will keep them interested and show them how basic material pertains to higher techniques. It will also keep the classes fresh and fun for the students. For instance, showing how straight punches and the initial gun defense from the front are really the same. So have them train straight punches then relate it to gun and have them work gun. They will probably walk out of class that night, thinking they did some cool stuff.

Of note:
    Obviously know the higher material before you teach it.
    Mix it in, do not focus on it and do not do it every class. It should be a teaser.
    If there are a small subset of student you want to train higher material with, have a special class or training time to work with them.

Just some thoughts

Respectfully
    LR

parishd

In addition to specific rank-level classes, our school offers several “all” classes each week that cover more advanced techniques and can be attended by people of any rank.

I see two benefits to these classes beyond allowing people to see what’s coming in the future. First, when I train with someone (far) above my level, I can observe how the techniques I’m currently trying to master look when executed in a relaxed, smooth and natural way. Second, when I train with someone below my level, or simply less experienced than I am, I am forced to slow down and really focus on doing the techniques “correctly”, which turns out to be as helpful to me as it is to my less-experienced partner.

Cheers.

gwalsh-d92

quote gwalsh:

Should I let student train above their current rank?

This wasn’t a serious question.
    Here’s the picture again:

Attachments:

smokelaw1

Ha! I could’t see the picture in the first post. All I have to say….is I think I have found a sparring partner for my daughter!!

Attachments:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: