Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav training and wearing glasses.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    smart11222

Was wondering for those who wear glasses. Is it better to wear them while training or take them off to train?

don

Re: Krav training and wearing glasses.

Depends on things like just how bad your vision is and specifically what kind of training you’re talking about…

smart11222

Level 1 training. Some times heavy bag or pads. Some backward falls.

smart11222

Also the glasses are for distance like driving. Am ok seeing up close. Was wondering is it best to wear them every other class to get used to training with and without them?

Thanks for your advice.

I wear the **** out of glasses, so I feel uniquely qualified to answer. First thing is the the more time I spend training, the less I find I actually wear them during class. I usually take them off during any full or simulated contact drills (gauntlet, weapons, chokes, shark tank, punch/kick defenses, getting punched/kicked during warmups in Christian’s class, etc.), for grappling/groundwork and sparring (ground, standup or both), for focus mitt and Thai pad warmups, for anything that might accidentally get me hit in the face (pad holding during defensive front kick for example), and of course anything involving headgear. I almost always keep them on the rest of the time, especially when I need to see what the instructor’s demonstrating. Make sure you find a safe place for them near to where you’ll be working so you’re not a distraction to the other students.

Next is I tend to sweat a lot in class and they get slippery and foggy and drippy on the lens. To keep them on my head I wear a Kurt Rambis style glasses tie from Big 5. You’ll need to wash this at least once a month. To keep them dry make sure you have a non-scratchy lens cloth with you. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be much you can do about the lens fogging. (If there is, someone please let me know.)

Last consideration is if I were ever in an actual fight (and/or self-defense situation/engagement/entanglement), I imagine that if it all possible, I might try to take them off fairly quickly so no one could strike them and try to get glass in my eye, as I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to do to someone if 1) they wore glasses and 2) were putting me in danger. So hone your other senses, and make sure that having them on is always a benefit and never a liability, especially when it comes to your eyesight and safety.

seraphs-coal

I wear contact lenses, yet its no advantage over glasses as they get knocked out or move on your eye just as easily. I would wear the glasses because if you want to simulate a real situation likely you would be wearing them then. I would go along to your optometrists and see if they can supply you with a suitable strap to put on the back so they don’t fall off, failing that if you need to train with the aid of glasses because of poor eyesight and are sick of them falling off, your optometrist can supply you with prescription swimming goggles which would likely do the job if you can handle the feel of them with sweating and so on.

Aside for training purposes, you have to train for the real world scenarios. You are going to have to learn to fight with no eyeglasses to get a better idea of what would happen, gauging distances with punching & kicks so you are not taken by a surprise sucker punch. Do that once in a while to keep your skills fresh from time to time. thumbsup

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: