Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Learning Krav Maga Questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hektor

Greetings!

I’m researching Krav Maga, and considering studying it. But, I have some questions.

1) If Krav Maga was designed to be learned quickly, why does it take 4 months at level 1, 6 months at level 2, 9 months at level 3, etc.? How long does it take to reach \”black\” belt level?

2) From what I gather reading the KM site, and from talking to others, it does not take long to become certified as a KM instructor. It looks like it only takes 1 week of training to become certified. How is that possible if the levels take months?

Thanks!

andre

If this is a legit post, then answering your first question, in juxtaposition to traditional martial arts, Krav gets the average practitioner up to speed faster in terms of Self-defense. So, within about 3-4 months, you have the basic skill sets necessary to defend against basic SD threats. Like anything else, you improve the longer you engage in the act. To tell the truth, this topic has been covered ad nausem on this board, and can be found by searching the previous posts.

But to answer your last question about instructor certification, within that week, you log more hours then you would in a several month period, if you were training at a rate of 2 hours a week. The training is also quiet intensive.

klem

After one week of instructor training, you are not certified to teach all levels of KM. Initially, you are only certified to teach Level 1. You must go back to be certified to teach other levels. And it is very very very intense and intensive.

johnwhitman

The question about instructor training is always a legit question. Yes, it’s come up a lot, but it’s reasonable for people to ask.

As has already been said, the instructor course is very intense — you have to come with significant prior KM experience, years of other training, or be an exceptional athlete/instructor. You’ll train for approximately 210 hours just to get certified to teach the first half of the system, and about 30% of the people fail.

By comparison, if you train in a regular class, you’ll probably go twice a week. Do that every week for a year and you’ll have trained 104 hours.

topitbull

got your local KM school, and try to choke, stab, punch, headlock, kick, knee, elbow, or even point a gun at the instructor.

I’m pretty sure you will feel very comfortable that the guy knows what he’s doing

hehehehehe

beachfront71

ONLY FOUR MONTHS FOR LEVEL 1????

I must be a slow learner.

😀

andre

I understand what your saying John about the legitimacy of the question, however, it can’t be ignored that there tends to be a flare up every couple of months by someone trying to poke the hornets nest by asking asking some tongue-in-cheek question.

la-revancha

\”every couple of months….someone trying to poke the hornets nest.\”

Kinda the reason why I don’t post here anymore.

Sup, Andre? Been too long, compadre. We’ll see you in about 3 weeks 😉 !

andre

I almost forgot. 😀

mara-jade

Hektor,

It really depends on how much time you can spend inside and outside of class. Some people just adapt more quickly to some moves than others, at least the way I see it. I started April last year. After 2 months, I took my level 1 test and passed. Level 2 I couldn’t take until January since I had twisted my ankle and severely twisted the fat pad in my right knee (right after I got my level 1 certificate too 🙂 ). I don’t think that I took too long – I’ m just happy I passed each test the first time. I’m in NO hurry to test level 3.

Also, remember that just because you pass your next level DOESN’T mean you won’t get tested on that level again. Level 2 test included 2 AND 1 PLUS some sparring. I’ve been working more now on losing some more weight so I’ve been taking more conditioning classes.

I haven’t forgotten my KM so I also go back and take the lower level classes. Just the other day in the 1/2 classes the instructors were showing us the basic moves (forward, left, right, back) and also DIAGONAL. That last one wasn’t in Level 1 when I first started, but I know I have to know those new ones also.

You get out of it whatever you put into it. Just my 2 cents 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: