Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    petra

I’ve been doing Krav Maga for about four months, and I’m thinking I’ll be ready to move up to level 2 at some point before the new year (seven to eight months after starting).

Problem is… What I figured out through talking to the higher level students at my school is that most, if not all, seem to spend over a year at level 1, and they get told when they’re going to be testing about three months in advance.

I have no doubt in my instructor’s judgement, but I do have a good idea of how his tests are run, and I think I’m a bit more of an expert on what my body can handle.

So I’m trying to figure out how best to approach him about testing, and how I might persuade him to let me test the next time it’s offered (I expect he’ll be hesitant because it’s not how he normally does things). Any ideas would be appreciated.

kravjitsu

Re: Level 1 Testing

A year at level 1??? Seems to me that 6 months is more common. Is this a smaller school that does not have a lot of upper belts (let’s say orange and up)?

One year just seems way to long to learn how to punch, kick, do some choke defenses, etc.

If I were approaching my instructor about testing earlier, I would ask him if he would ever consider someone testing early. If he says yes, then ask him what would he want to see in that person. If you feel you have those things, you could ask about how he sees your progress but let him know that you feel very comfortable doing those things. He may think about it and agree with you or point out things to you that you are not aware of.

oldkmdude

I don’t really get the point of waiting an excessively long time to test. If you think you can pass the test (so that you don’t waste your time and money), you should take it. There is no need to be perfect. That will come later. I’ve been doing Krav for over 3 years and I still take L1 classes sometimes (and occasionally learn something new from them). I think it’s really worse to be stuck at a lower level for too long and start getting bored than to start a higher level a little too early. The only exception to this is if you feel that it’s really not safe for you to train at a higher level. In most places I’ve seen, passing that first test allows you to spar, which I think is a crucial part of the overall training. Anyway, just my opinion. In the end, you have to talk it over with your instructor and find what works for you.

tzrider

As Krav is designed to be easy and quick to learn, something seems off in a school where the average time to do a level 1 test is a year.

doublestrike

@Petra
    – Normally, testing and advancement in Krav is up to the discretion of your instructor(s). I know that for KMWW, they do have minimum # of class requirements one has to fulfill before advancement for Levels I, II, and III. Even after having met the pre-requisite of classes, one must have an instructor actually sign you off saying that you are ready to test.

Case in point, I had 10+ years of martial experience before I started training in Krav. I too thought that Level 1 classes were for beginners and didn’t really apply to me since I thought I was an “expert”. But when it came time to take the Level 1 test, until that day, I had never gone through such a grueling, physically exhaustive, and mentally taxing challenge in all my life. To this day, I still attend Level 1 classes for the intensity and to keep me humble.

In your situation, I would casually inquire about you taking the Level 1 test but don’t insist on it. Simply put, a good Krav instructor (and good Krav school for that matter) will not advance someone they feel that they are not ready. If you are turned down from taking the test, approach it constructively and ask what you need to work on to become ready for the exam.

Contrary to popular belief that Krav is not a true classic martial art, teacher and student relationships still play a major role in training.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

magpie

I agree that a year seems a bit long to wait for the L1 test. I tested after 6 months, and only because I just had a gut feeling that it was time to do so. That being said, it was definitely the most exhausting thing I’d ever done in my life (even more than when I ran a marathon several years prior).

I am about 2/3 thru the required number of classes for the L2 test, but plan to wait until at least January of next year to test. This will have given me 11 months at L2. This may seem like too long of a time for some, but last week one of my instructors mentioned how he took his time and spent a year at L2. Prior to hearing that, I felt like there was something wrong with me if I wasn’t stacking classes like crazy and getting thru L2 in 4-6 months.

I agree that a year at L1 is excessive. I tested after three months attending class three to five times a week. My instructors also took our fitness level into consideration when deciding to let us test.

L2 took me longer because I was scheduled to test twice but my asthma acted up the week prior and was told to wait.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: