Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Level 1 testing questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    magpie

Noob question time: How does the whole testing process for L1 work? And is there a required number of classes I should have under my belt before I apply to test? I’ve heard that 40 is the magic number (currently I have 22), but want to have my technique as polished as possible before testing.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Re: Level 1 testing questions

quote Magpie:

Noob question time: How does the whole testing process for L1 work? And is there a required number of classes I should have under my belt before I apply to test? I’ve heard that 40 is the magic number (currently I have 22), but want to have my technique as polished as possible before testing.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Know the curriculum inside and out. Clean. Practice slowly and perfectly at home, ideally for 10-15 minutes per day.

Work on your conditioning starting now. If that doesn’t mean bag classes, maybe it means jumping rope at home or P90X or Krav Maga classes 4-6 times per week. Maybe it means two Level 1 classes in a row if you train at West LA.

Work on your breathing starting now. You’ll won’t tire/gas out as easily. In through your nose, out through your mouth. I’m a green belt and I’m still working on this. I wish I had worked on it earlier.

When you have around 30 classes/3 months, ask your Sensei* when they think you can test.

In the weeks leading up to the test, train harder/more aggressively than you think you can (try not to injure yourself or others in the process). Ask to work on your weak points. Ask for drills. Focus mitt, multiple attacker, A/B spinning/eyes closed stuff.

Stop all training a few days before the test. Stretch everyday. Carb up, drink gatorade/pedialyte/water, make sure you get enough iron and protein, fruits and vegetables. Avoid booze and caffeine and junk food.

Test when you want after 4 months/40. I tested at something like 5 months/50 classes and was confident.

Enjoy yourself during the test. They’re fun. Have fun.

Pace yourself during the workshop (85-90%), then blast during the actual test (which doesn’t mean be an a-hole and injure your partner, just go hard).

The test isn’t hard. All it is is long and physically exhausting. Be mentally tough. Be aggressive and clean. Be a gamer. It’s more mental than anything.

Bring several bottles of water, a bottle of gatorade, a bottle of pedialyte (drink this if you cramp), a large towel, several t-shirts (change t-shirts at least twice), an extra pair of shorts, an extra pair of socks, an extra pair underwear for after the test (hopefully not during).

You may or may not cramp. You may or may not puke. You may or may not get a runner’s high. Be prepared for anything.

Last thing. Look at the picture of Imi when you think you can’t continue. Think about him. Then think about you. Then continue.

Good luck.

*BOW TO YOUR SENSEI!!

magpie

This is excellent advice! I was strongly considering waiting until I’d attended 50 classes too, just to be sure.

Yes, I do train in West LA, so I just might start hitting an extra class here and there to up my game.

Thanks! If anyone else has other suggestions, I would love to hear ’em.

—-
    “We deal in lead, friend.”
    – Steve McQueen as Vin Tanner in THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

cinnamongirl

I agree with everything Metta has said. A couple of things I’ll add:

Find a training partner you work well with, and if it’s possible, test with them. I don’t know if you can choose your test partners in West L.A.? Even if you don’t get to choose your test partner, if you can train with other people who are also testing, it will really help.

If, during your test, you find yourself making a mistake, (or forget a defense) don’t stop – keep going and try to correct accordingly.

Most importantly – DON’T GIVE UP!!

Good luck – let us know how it goes!

P.S. – Not sure if this actually did me any good during my L1 test, but I made sure to tell my instructors that they looked ‘especially handsome’ that day 🙂

kmman

Why are we calling an Israeli system instructor “Sensei”? Thats for Japanese arts.

doublestrike

Hi Magpie,

I second another poster when I say that Metta has pretty much covered all of the basics bullet points for the Level #1 exam. Here are some of my personal observations + experiences when I took the test:

1) Cardio / Stamina = This was by far the most lacking aspect of my training coming into the exam. My test took a little over 7+ hours and I was totally gassed about halfway. Be sure to hydrate and carb up before and during the exam.

2) Aggression = Maintain a high level of aggression and intensity throughout the entire exam. Follow through w/ every single strike (i.e. do not relax between techniques). Remember, you are being graded as soon as you enter the door.

3) Never Give Up = Keep on moving even though you may be gassed or cramping. Show the instructor who is grading you that you will not give up for anything and that you want it.

4) Ask Questions during the Workshop = The workshop (session before the actual exam) is meant for the instructor(s) to critique the students AND for the students to ask for clarification they may have on any technique. This is critical if you are unclear about anything, since once the exam starts they cannot assist you.

5) Nothing is guaranteed = Just because you may have taken 50+ classes and a super star every other night of the week, and already pre-paid for the test, does not give you an automatic pass for this exam (or any other KM exam for that matter). Don’t take the exam lightly. Also bare in mind since KM has a reputation for being realistic self defense training, most instructors and schools want to keep their reputations and standards high. Instructors are not afraid to fail students – period. They grade on that exam day alone and not by the past. Always remember that.

Let’s face it, the KM Level #1 exam humbles most everyone who takes it. It’s that way by design – to effectively weed out those who don’t take it seriously. The main goal for this first test is to exhaust you both physically and mentally and to see if you can still effectively perform the techniques. Not to be cliche, but Level #1 is the foundation for the entire system, therefore it is crucial that you know the techniques inside and out – no matter how simple or trivial they may seem. Since the likelihood of a perfect scenario + environment for you perform your technique when you’re refreshed and alert is not realistic. You’re more likely to have the wind knocked out of you, twisted ankle, and can barely see out of one eye all the while a maniac is attacking you with full force.

Sorry for being a little long winded in this post and in my explanations. Before taking up KM, I thought I was in relatively good shape and was proficient in the fighting / self-defense arts from my prior training in marital arts. Nothing could be farther from the truth since after I took my first class and my Level #1 exam.

Best of luck, and please update us all on his forum on your progress. 🙂

magpie

Thanks, DS. Great 411 from you and everyone else. I’m already starting to map out a plan to improve my cardio/stamina over the next 3 months. My goal is to test in January, or even February if need be.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote Magpie:

Thanks, DS. Great 411 from you and everyone else. I’m already starting to map out a plan to improve my cardio/stamina over the next 3 months. My goal is to test in January, or even February if need be.

Jump rope is your friend, lol ask Metta 🙂

quote CJs Dad:

Jump rope is your friend, lol ask Metta 🙂

YES! What would I give to be able to jump rope right now! (Few more weeks…)

Magpie — what DS and CG said about not stopping in the middle of a technique and finding a good partner early on is great advice. As is jumping rope. I’m naturally a little clumsy/flat-footed so the weighted one is more helpful for me in terms of technique. They sell regular ones at the front desk for like 10 bucks.

KMMAN — Forgive me. I was being a little flippant when I used the term Sensei. No disrespect or confusion was intended. I know we don’t call our instructors that in Krav Maga (unless of course you happen to train with Roy). The whole “Bow to your Sensei!” thing is a joke from the movie Napoleon Dynamite.

magpie

Thanks, Metta. I used to jump rope for a boxing class; looks like it’s time to dig it back out.

I got the ND reference. How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains? 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: