Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    sittingdog

Is the level 1 vs level 2 anything besides a financial decision on behalf of the dojo? The only difference I can see is that the higher level classes only focus on technique, where as the “level 1” is a bit of movement then a proper workout then a few drills building up to some sort of stress drill. My question is the level system just a way to keep the fatties away from the higher skill guys?
    I can’t see myself committing to 6 months of squaring off against house wives and people who nearly pass out from the more intense drills just to get into the biweekly “level 2” class which is where defense is actually taught. Krav Maga centers are very limited where I am, but do I have the basic format down or any other options? I want to negotiate my way into the level 2 really.

kmyoshi

Re: level 1 vs level 2

Level 1 lays out the groundwork of Krav Maga with the fight stance/movement, punches, kicks, ground fighting position/ground kicking position, chokes and stress drills. That’s a lot of stuff just for level 1. Imagine if they started combining level 2 techniques into level 1, especially for people just starting the system: escape from mount and guard, buck trap and roll, bear hugs from front/rear, and many other techniques. Level 1 is the foundation for the upper levels… and the tried and true saying of you have to learn to crawl before you can walk holds true.

Question is can you keep up with the drills without getting really winded?

sittingdog

quote KMyoshi:

Question is can you keep up with the drills without getting really winded?

Yes I come from a solid fitness background (xfit, kettlebells, ect I don’t tire easily) and that is what really bothers me about the class. Its only 1 hour with at least half being a workout that is below my level of fitness. I make it harder by doing things for time like instructor calls out 20 squats then rest, so I keep going until the last person quits and get closer to 40. But with only 30 minutes of “actual” combat drills that is not a lot of time to learn this at a 4-5 time per week basis.
    Is this the norm for Krav taught at a MCdojo?

kmyoshi

I think that might just be how KMW structures their level 1 classes. The first 10 minutes of class is designated to warm up/stretching which involves running, squats, push ups, sit ups and whatever else the instructor wants to get your heart rate up, then about 5 minutes to stretch. The next 15 minutes is usually kicking/punching drills on the kicking shield/tombstone or sometimes even the heavy bags. The last 30 minutes is designated towards the technique of that day/class (self defense against chokes, ground position, etc.). This is at the national training center (NTC) in LA so the other licensees might just be following the same format. Another thing to note is that since it is level 1 and at least for the NTC, it is not a cycling curriculum. So any student (1st class or 39th class) can hop into a lesson and not need to go to the last class necessarily to know whats going on. This is good because it helps build muscle memory through repetition but if you’re wanting to go straight to the gun/knife disarms, you’ll find it boring really fast because if you go 5 times a week, you might find yourself doing the same thing twice or sometimes even three times. You’ll also find that in level 1, they always review the fight stance and proper punching technique before you even get a chance to hit anything.

The way I alleviated this was taking 4 level 1 classes a day (4 hours) but I’m not sure if your center even has that many back-to-back classes offered… Does your location have a fight program?

Did you talk to your instructor first? They are going to explain their reasoning best and possibly help you.

quote Sittingdog:

Is the level 1 vs level 2 anything besides a financial decision on behalf of the dojo? The only difference I can see is that the higher level classes only focus on technique, where as the “level 1” is a bit of movement then a proper workout then a few drills building up to some sort of stress drill. My question is the level system just a way to keep the fatties away from the higher skill guys?
    I can’t see myself committing to 6 months of squaring off against house wives and people who nearly pass out from the more intense drills just to get into the biweekly “level 2” class which is where defense is actually taught. Krav Maga centers are very limited where I am, but do I have the basic format down or any other options? I want to negotiate my way into the level 2 really.

Take a look at the level one curriculum, it is fairly large and you can’t be successful at level two without doing well at level one. Between combatives and defenses, 4-6 months is the norm before moving on to level 2. Most noobs think they can master the curriculum faster, but the truth is, they can’t. You might be able to pull the techniques off at training speed, but it takes time to condition yourself so that the techniques are reflexive and you don’t have to waste time thinking under stress, you just react.

Further, you come on to the forum and blast your classmates as “fatties”, claim to have the “format” down without making mention of whether or not you have have the techniques down, accuse your studio of being a McDojo that only exists to profit, and want to “negotiate” your way into level two. How about you get into level two like the rest of us did? Master the level one curriculum, take the test, and EARN it.

sittingdog

quote KMyoshi:

The way I alleviated this was taking 4 level 1 classes a day (4 hours) but I’m not sure if your center even has that many back-to-back classes offered… Does your location have a fight program?

The need for practice is my main complaint and it would be better with a skilled opponent, but no one seems to hang out there for more practice. Hence the desire to get more classes in per day, but there is only one offered per day. So with only an hour class I guess I should just take more classes (possibly from other centers) and make a buddy. Thank you for aiding in my understanding. I believe I have found a good center wish there were more classes though.

jjbklb

..” Its only 1 hour with at least half being a workout that is below my level of fitness.”..

Why don’t you go for an hour’s run just before class to take the edge off your excess fitness energy?

jjb

My friend, I think you should take it down a few notches. Your attitude shows you haven’t been sufficiently humbled by level 1. Therefore you are not ready for level 2, regardless of your fitness level.

Fitness simply enables one to practice Krav better, it is not the goal. The goal is to defend yourself well. There are plenty of techniques to focus on in level 1. Where are your feet when striking? Are you moving with a lowered base at all times? How is your footing during kicks? Are you properly thrusting your hips forward when delivering a knee? There are blackbelts in this system that still participate in level 1 from time to time. Do you have them all mastered?

And stop disrespecting your classmates. They are there to improve themselves as well. Maybe invest in them and help them along. Krav is for everyone. We wouldn’t be the rebellious red headed step child of martial arts if it wasn’t.

sittingdog

I reread what I wrote and I am being overly harsh, but this is important and time is limited. I know the results of training failure, reinforcing bad technique commits it to muscle memory which is a big problem.
    I don’t mean disrespect, but when you are partnered up with someone who gasses out after a few seconds of a longer drill you won’t learn much just standing there in front of a panting opponent. What should I do in this situation?
    Or during a blocking drill and the partner refuses to throw a block able punch (as in the are nearly a foot away from hitting me no chance for connection) How can I make those monuments better?

esquire32

quote Sittingdog:

I reread what I wrote and I am being overly harsh, but this is important and time is limited. I know the results of training failure, reinforcing bad technique commits it to muscle memory which is a big problem.
    I don’t mean disrespect, but when you are partnered up with someone who gasses out after a few seconds of a longer drill you won’t learn much just standing there in front of a panting opponent. What should I do in this situation?
    Or during a blocking drill and the partner refuses to throw a block able punch (as in the are nearly a foot away from hitting me no chance for connection) How can I make those monuments better?

I’d suggest you act as a good team member, mentor, and facilitator. You learn not just through your own training, but also in helping others come along at whatever level they may be at. Maybe you learn compassion and a bit humility more than a good combo, but they are all valuable assets. In fact, IMO that level of mental training and dare I say ego check, is more likely to save your ass in a heated encounter than a perfect knee to the head. The point being is sometimes not all learning is physical, there is an attitude and mental aspect as well. So think of it in those terms. And yes before you know it, you’ll have a new friend who will always remember you helping him along and these partners may even surpass you requiring you one day to seek their mentorship and compassion.

don

How long have you been training in KM?
    Where exactly are you training and is it KMWW?
    Who is teaching the class(es)?
    Have you spoken to the instructor(s)?
    If so, what did he/she/they tell you?
    If not, why aren’t you asking him/her/them?

stickfig13

Nothing is more amusing than a Level 1 student complaining because they think they are above Level 1 curriculum. I’ve been training for a number of years now. I occasionally drop in on a Level 1 class. I’m humbled every time.

Take the test. Prove it. Move on

kmman

Do crossfit right before your class. Good problem to have in my opinion. You should breeze through the L1 test 🙂

“No poop, there I was, waist deep in my unskilled opponent’s butt when an equally unskilled opponent I didn’t notice came in from behind me and knocked me out with a ketchup bottle.”
    True story of an L1 student who thinks they’re above L1 training.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: