Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Level 2: Gloves or no gloves?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    magpie

So I had my first L2 class yesterday and noticed that about 2/3 of my fellow students were not wearing hand protection. The other 1/3 (inc. me) wore the usual MMA-type gloves seen in L1.

Am I supposed to ditch the gloves now that I’m in L2? The instructor never said anything about the issue (I suppose I could’ve asked him). I don’t mind wearing them but don’t want to look like a wuss. Image is everything, ya know.

kmyoshi

Re: Level 2: Gloves or no gloves?

Not quite. In L2 (and up) you end up using the boxing gloves more than the MMA gloves, but you will occasionally use the MMA gloves, so I recommend keeping them in your bag.

As far as wearing gloves go, that is personal preference. I will once in a while not wear gloves, just to practice maintaining good punching technique without the support from the wrist wrap and gloves but for safety reasons, I wouldn’t do this all the time.

wiccaman

We tend to leave it up to individuals to decide what kit they wear.

Most people wear MMAs most of the time, but I think that’s habit as much as anything. Sometimes we’ll ditch them though. For example, when doing choke related stuff, gloves can get in the way when you’re trying to pluck for the wrist.

cinnamongirl

That’s interesting. I have not seen anyone wear MMA gloves in class – the most I’ve seen anyone wear is hand-wraps. For L2 classes, we all have our boxing gloves with us in case our instructor has us working on sparring, or with mitts. A few people will wear bag gloves or MMA gloves for a bag class, but that’s about it.

doublestrike

In KM LVL 2 classes, hand protection (i.e. hand wraps, MMA-style fingerless gloves, etc.) are optional. You are however required to wear boxing gloves during specific drills / exercises.

People choose to wear hand wraps / gloves for added protection. I know some people who are doctors and surgeons that use their hands for a living, so they protect them as best they can. Other people’s hands tear up easily with the slightest abrasion.

It’s all personal preference really. If you’re not punching a heavy bag and only using the Tombstone shield and focus mitts in class, then using bare hands should be fine. Besides, I think one should condition one’s hands in KM to a certain degree.

Best of luck in your training 🙂

wiccaman

Surely everyone on this forum spends two hours before breakfast each day punching buckets of hot sand anyway.

Why would we need gloves?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: