Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Level Testing Eligibility

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dckm

How do instructors determine who’s ready to test?

reason I ask is I’ve been taking krav maga for 7 mos. I’ve missed some time due to various reasons, however when I’m not there I still practice, hit the heavy bags at the gym, hit the gym etc. when in class I give it 150% and go all out. I know every move in the 1st chapter of the yellow book – choke defenses, combatives etc. yet I haven’t been told that I’m testing at the next test coming up. Honestly, I’m pissed and slightly offended. there are guys testing and I know my technique is better than theirs. WTF. hell, there are level 2 students at my school who’s technique is butt ugly.

jburtonpdx

Re: Level Testing Eligibility

Have you asked the instructors at your gym?

udjat

Have you asked your instructors about it?

peterako

If you feel confident in your abilities, then just show up to the test.

dckm

i asked him could i test a couple weeks back and he didn’t give me a straight answer. he just said keep coming back. he also said my technique was good so i thought i was in the pocket. his exact words were “i love your punches. keep it up” yesterday at class he didn’t mention anything about the test. normally they pull you to the side and let you know if you can test or not.

i wanna know how do they decide who can test and who can’t? is it the number of classes taken? is it some algorithm that they run? i’m confused. there are people testing who’s technique looks like ****.

Maybe broach the subject in a non-volatile way eg: perhaps ask ‘what should I be working on to be considered for testing?’ etc…
    Obviously, you might not want to say you feel your skill level exceeds some of the other students who are up for testing or that you feel you are ready.

In our group, the instructor lets the individuals know who they feel are ready are to be tested. A few weeks before a round of testing they’ll usually say tests are looming and for potential candidates to demonstrate, while training, their effort level, skills and general desire to be tested. Usually there’s already some obvious candidates and some who get asked at the last moment, based on their performance in training.

The only thing that annoys this particular instructor more than students asking or demanding to be tested, are those who show up for testing unannounced, basically inviting themselves.
    These figures have pretty much always ended up failing the exam.

Hope this helps..

mara-jade

Before you jump the gun, approach your instructor and ask what he thinks as in what he’s observed in your techniques.

Don’t take this wrong as it’s happened to me. You THINK you’ve got a move down but come to find out it’s off in some fashion. Getting mad because others test and you don’t is irrelevant. You’re supposed to be testing for yourself and not anyone else. Unless you’ve got proof there’s favoritism going on, choose your words carefully.

If it happened to be you need some more tweaking, so be it. Take it as more time for you to perfect your moves, not as anything bad. The test will be there.

It’s been awhile since I tested but we would just sign up and during the review, if the instructors saw you weren’t ready, they wouldn’t let you test.

voodoo

I’m in a similar situation. I’ve been training for a while and my technique is pretty good but I’ve not been invited to test. Yet.

Although getting tested is good feedback, I’m not concerned about the lack of it in my case. I’m part of a small group of guys, mixed levels, and we all train the same techniques. Gradings only happen twice a year. I’m learning the basics as well as stuff well beyond P1 and, most importantly, I’m enjoying my training.

I’m doing Krav for my own safety (and those I love) so it’s exposure to the techniques I’m after. If the lack of testing was preventing my Krav development, then I’d be disappointed. In my case, fact is that it isn’t.

Put simply, the ME of today would beat the crap outta the ME of 12 months ago!

-Voodoo

peterako

Perhaps my advice was not the most sound. However, I was just speaking of experience, as from what I have seen publicly in my school, you go to the test on your own initiative.

But as you have explained that the instructors let you know if you are ready, I would support the approach of Chocolate Soldier and mara_jade. Subtlety inform your instructor of your feelings by asking how you can improve.

dckm

quote mara_jade:

Before you jump the gun, approach your instructor and ask what he thinks as in what he’s observed in your techniques.

Don’t take this wrong as it’s happened to me. You THINK you’ve got a move down but come to find out it’s off in some fashion. Getting mad because others test and you don’t is irrelevant. You’re supposed to be testing for yourself and not anyone else. Unless you’ve got proof there’s favoritism going on, choose your words carefully.

If it happened to be you need some more tweaking, so be it. Take it as more time for you to perfect your moves, not as anything bad. The test will be there.

It’s been awhile since I tested but we would just sign up and during the review, if the instructors saw you weren’t ready, they wouldn’t let you test.

i appreciate the advice.
    i definitely wouldnt mention anyone else’s technique in the conversation, but i do plan on asking him about it. my main issue is not knowing how or why they pick people who are eligible for tests. seems to me there’s no objective criteria. if it is, why’s it a secret? i pay good coin for krav maga and i’m taking it for my safety and those who i may be with, i’d appreciate a little more openness in this regard. i saw him mention testing to a guy who hadn’t been there in a month or so. i don’t know how long he’s been at the school but there was a gap in his attendance. how do i know? at the time i was going to level 1 classes 3 times a week and taking a basics class here and there. i would’ve saw him over that span of time.

also another reason why i’m ready to move up is, i live in a fairly dicy area where there are robberies, assaults etc. i need to learn more advanced techniques ASAP. alot of guys carry knives and no attacker’s gonna say “i’ll hold off on attacking you since you’re not on level 4”
    now i do go to every seminar that i know of, and train as much as i can schedule permitting.

thanks for your responses.

Going to be blunt here — just cut thru all the “bs” and ask him point blank…can I take the next test? If he says yes, case closed. If he says no, ask if you can pay for and only take the workshop portion of the testing process — that way you will get to see and practice all of the material and you can get yourself ready for the next test.

mara-jade

If you’ve gone to training regularly, the instructor should be able to tell you whether you’re ready to test or not.

Our center has changed the testing somewhat – the workshop is now 1 week before the actual test. Hubby and I went to the workshop and saw we weren’t quite ready yet. We just keep training right now.

Hope it all works out for you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: