Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Liberate yourself from Traditional Krav Maga!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    psyops

I just thought that some of you may enjoy this article. Please feel free to be as critical as you wish. I always enjoy the feedback.

http://kravtalk.blogspot.com/2011/07/liberate-yourself-from-traditional-krav.html

yli

Re: Liberate yourself from Traditional Krav Maga!

Oddly enough, I have not heard Imi Lichtenfeld’s name mentioned once during my Krav training unless we were talking about the history of Krav Maga. I always thought Krav Maga was about practicing effective techniques and my training bears that out.

jeanbean

Interesting perspective, and worth contemplating. I do get what he’s saying. But I’d respond that (in my limited experience) my Krav instructors have consistently stated in class that Krav is a welcoming system that evolves and they do make changes and incorporate outside techniques if they find them better, or a technique that better fits more situations. They’ve demonstrated the “shelved” technique, what replaced it and most importantly explained why it was replaced.

From what I deduce, I think he’s talking about changes at the higher levels? (My two cents, and maybe not worth much since I just passed the level 1 test, last week.)

jjbklb

quote jeanbean:

Interesting perspective, and worth contemplating. I do get what he’s saying…..or a technique that better fits more situations. They’ve demonstrated the “shelved” technique, what replaced it and most importantly explained why it was replaced.

Could you describe what the “shelved technique” is?

stickfig13

You spend an awful lot of time on that blog bashing traditional martial arts. Without them I’m not sure you would be around doing what you do. Spending time debating which type of traditional martial art is the best is why MMA/KM is even around today.

Ironic huh?

rick-prado

quote jjbklb:

Could you describe what the “shelved technique” is?

When someone throws you into a shelf!

Just kidding, he means shelved as in, put it on a shelf because it’s been replaced by something more efficient/practical, etc….

mara-jade

Well, lookiy who’s come to play? Psyops, Plantman-long no see folks! Hope things are well:wav:

psyops

quote stickfig13:

You spend an awful lot of time on that blog bashing traditional martial arts. Without them I’m not sure you would be around doing what you do. Spending time debating which type of traditional martial art is the best is why MMA/KM is even around today.

Ironic huh?

StickFig,

Without the horse and buggy, we would not have the automobile. Guess what? I don’t have a horse either. Traditional Martial Arts are fine for pagentry, history and cultural contributions. They also serve as a launch pad for combat systems. However they serve very little purpose for real self defense. They don’t teach self defense they teach techniques ,forms and katas. None of those things have anything to do with self defense.

My disdain for “McDojo” martial arts is well documented. Traditional martial arts have their place and their importance to the development of fighting systems is noted. I have trained in traditional systems and they have nothing to do with self defense. I am respectful to the arts and the cultural influence that each style has, but that is where it stops for me.

Most schools are not traditional at all. They masquerade as traditional but they are after school daycare centers that hand out belts like they hand out candy. Drive around and take a look into the windows of these places. See who’s teaching. Watch who’s training. It’s pathetic. So for every authentic traditional dojo I can show you 30 crappy Tae Kwon Suck facility. Belt factory has ruined martial arts.

psyops

Much of the problem with KM and Martial Arts has to do with the students need to blindly follow their instructors teachings. They don’t question for themselves. They do not use logic or even see the failures in some of the techniques that they are being taught. They simply become robots.

Organizations are also to blame for this robotic mindset. They falsely believe that their way is the only way and it trickles down to their instructors and permeates the entire organization.

stickfig13

quote Psyops:

StickFig,

Without the horse and buggy, we would not have the automobile. Guess what? I don’t have a horse either. Traditional Martial Arts are fine for pagentry, history and cultural contributions. They also serve as a launch pad for combat systems. However they serve very little purpose for real self defense. They don’t teach self defense they teach techniques ,forms and katas. None of those things have anything to do with self defense.

My disdain for “McDojo” martial arts is well documented. Traditional martial arts have their place and their importance to the development of fighting systems is noted. I have trained in traditional systems and they have nothing to do with self defense. I am respectful to the arts and the cultural influence that each style has, but that is where it stops for me.

Most schools are not traditional at all. They masquerade as traditional but they are after school daycare centers that hand out belts like they hand out candy. Drive around and take a look into the windows of these places. See who’s teaching. Watch who’s training. It’s pathetic. So for every authentic traditional dojo I can show you 30 crappy Tae Kwon Suck facility. Belt factory has ruined martial arts.

I think people with something to prove has ruined martial arts worse than “McDojos” ever will.

ryan

NOTE: I’m posting this at Darren’s request…

“I rarely ever post; however, if you are training in Krav Maga with ANY legitimate organization, that organization will always focus on improvement and changes that will result in building students for street survival, period. The number one priority is to make people more safe during a variety of violent confrontations. It has never been about sticking with techniques merely because they originated with Imi or during his era.

Imi saw the future. Examine every approach and improve..that’s all Imi ever stressed to us. That’s all Imi ever wanted. It was NEVER about Imi. Imi was always clear…the system must be ever evolving and flexible. To that extent, he openly welcomed improvement and created an environment where his top cadre of instructors felt comfortable to be creative and to institute changes in order to make people more safe, that’s it-it’s that simple.”

Darren Levine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: