Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pfsfan

Hello everyone. I found this website a few weeks ago and really enjoy all of the information you all provide. Now to my post. As my screen name indicates, I train in Progressive Fighting Systems/RAT, which incorporates a lot of Krav Maga. Right now I am getting private lessons once a month. In between lessions, a friend and I are training together. We both have experience in grappling. What we do is practice what we learned in class on each other. We also use a Muay Thai strike pad and heavy punching bag. What we are doing thus far seems to be effective in that we are learning new things, seeing where different areas of the body will be during an altercation, what tools to use etc. Do any of you have any suggestions or recommendations for us? We will also be taking various workshops throughout the year, which does include a Krav Maga workshop.

Thanks for your time

neilm

Re: Looking for direction

I’m a little jealous – I don’t have an out-of-class sparring and training partner! If I did however, and to answer your question, I would probably try and train according to situations rather than techniques. Ie: imagine a random scenario where you would have to defend yourself and act it out (making sure you and your partner are safe, of course.) That way you can start to build experience and learn how the building blocks between different techniques all come together. The worst thing to happen on the street would be if someone attacks you and having not trained a particular technique for the situation you panic or freeze. Understanding the system as a whole will let you figure something (always better than nothing) out and react.

pfsfan

Re: Looking for direction

Thanks for the reply. Thats actually what we do. Also, we try and simulate a fight by sparring pretty hard considering the tools we are using. During the sessions, we include takedowns, clinching, Krav Maga/PFS techniques, and whatever else we can think of. We switch off on who is the aggresser. It seems to be working thus far. The Muay Thai strike pad has been a nice addition as well. In the near future we will be purchasing head gear. I also just ordered the Complete Krav Maga book.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: