Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics looking to start training

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    paddy

Having just turned 37, I’m considering starting Krav Maga.I’m concerned,though, that as I’m approaching middle age I would be at a disadvantage compared to younger students & should therefor think of trying something with less emphasis on conditionog & heavy contact such as wing chun.Any comments would gratefully received. ❓

ryan

Paddy, what are the goals of your training? What do you hope to accomplish? Let’s start there.

anonymous

Hi Paddy, I am 44 and just started Krav Maga. I haven’t encountered any Heavy Contact, and I do think heavy sparring is optional. I joined Krav Maga for the conditioning AND the reality based concepts. I’ll tell you, Krav Maga kicks my butt! But I know I’ll get in shape soon. Don’t worry about those young pups in the class just focus on doing your best and doing it for you. I would say if you want to get conditioned and learn a fuctional, practical MA, take Krav Maga, if you would rather take it easier and learn more of a traditional MA take something else.

paddy

Thankyou for your replies.My goals is this; to achieve a level of competence in a realistic self defense system,but one that wont take many years to master.Equally, I would like something that I could continue to practice effectively into older age & not feel that significant parts of the syllabus are closed to me.

ryan

In that case, KM is for you. While conditioning is important, the system needs to work for everyone. Don’t worry about what everybody else in the class is doing. Set your pace–compete with yourself. You’ll improve pretty quickly, if you’re training consistently. Good luck.

bradm

Paddy,
    Don’t worry about your age. Like Ryan said, don’t worry about what others are doing in class, work at your own pace. Take what you can get out of it and work to improve on it. I’m 63 years old and have been training in Krav for about 3 years now. You will be surprised how fast you learn the techniques and get in shape.

siayn

There are 5 regulars at my school that are 45+. Four are men and one woman. They all do fine.

mmottster

Age is not relevant in KM. Enthusiam and willingness to \”get into it\” are all you need. I started taking KM about 8 months ago, shortly after turning 38. One of my classmates is 56, he’s doing great! Don’t worry about trying to \”get into shape\” before starting. KM will do that for you. Go at your own pace. One of the best things about KM is that you are not pressured to keep up the best in the class. If you have an injury, the instructors and your classmates will work around it. If you are not in condition and get winded, they encourage you to do your best, but take a rest if you need it.

See if you can take one or two classes before signing up. I’m sure once you do, you’ll be hooked!

anonymous

I will turn 40 this week and have always kept in shape, but I do have to say that not in the shape I am in now.

I have lost appox 25 lbs in the 7 mos I have been training and look\\feel better than I have in a long time.

Just do it, you’ll be glad you did.

🙂

g-v

Re:

quote \”BradM\:

You will be surprised how fast you learn the techniques and get in shape.

Very true.

guyk

Age 45 here. Work at your own pace, take breaks if needed, recover before the next class, eat right and you’ll do fine. Don’t give up while overcoming initial soreness when the classes begin to get you into excellent shape. Hang in there and you’ll be glad you did. It’s a dangerous world out there and seems to be getting more dangerous all the time. It’s an excellent workout and you won’t miss out on anything because of age.

ffdo

OK, first of all, 37 year olds ARE the young pups, second, you people that are all in shape and all make me sick, go smoke a cig have a beer, then attend class the next day and kick butttttttttttttttttt……

OK, in all seriousness, take KM for what it is worth. It is a fun workout. It is hard. You compete only against yourself. You get out of it what you put in like anything else. Most of all, if you want to learn SD, at any age, KM is for you.

JC

jl

age and Krav

Krav is a great SD no matter the age. That is the beauty of it. You will train under your own pace, but you will be encouraged to test yourself as you get into shape.
    I’m one of the older guys in class, but get a lot out of working with the \”young\” students as well. Many of them have experience in other forms of MA. BJJ, Kenpo Karate etc. I learn at an excellerated pace because of some of the similarities in moves. And they keep me from \”thinking old\”. Their words not mine.
    Give it a shot. If there is a SD out there for you, I think this one will impress.
    However if you want a program that is easy and doesn’t test your salt, stay away from Krav. It’s challenging to both young and old. Nobody walks away without a soaked shirt. It’s a BLAST. JL

tami90211

Paddy…you crazy?

Have you lost your mind…or is it that you’re not taking care of yourself, because 37 in not even close to becoming \”middle age.\” I’m 35 and have never looked or felt better in my life. Krav Maga plays a huge part in that, and also taking care of myself when I’m not training with the \”young pups.\” Paddy, It’s all in the attitude. You are a young diva! Now..get out there and train like one:} You’ll be glad you did!

keeiii

Your not in the ultimate fighting ring with these younger guys. Your training partners. Key word partners. You help each other

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: