Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Lucky to be alive… Looking to stay that way.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john28nc

I am looking for KM instruction in the Raleigh, NC area…

I used to be reasonably fit and studied judo, jujitsu and karate about 8 years ago. Life took me into a more sedentary lifestyle and complacency nearly cost me big-time.

The backstory:
    I live in a fairly bad neighborhood. Usually I am more situationally aware, but my father passed away last Friday and I was tired and upset and I let the time and place (my own driveway) and the fact that people were about defuse my normal wariness (probably insufficient anyway).

Often times people will come to the door running scams, and I usually don’t open to anyone I don’t know. In this case it was someone who had done yardwork for my neighbor and myself over the summer, fairly non-threatening guy. I go outside to talk to him, my neighbor is in his yard, people out, etc.

Next thing I know my neighbor is gone inside, yard-guy is coming towards me and into my 5-6 feet of space. I step back. Next thing is a set of burly arms snake around my neck from behind, forearm across my trachea and the other across my neck, tilt my neck forward and pulled back off balance.

The other guy kept towards me, and I was fighting back pain and panic…

From judo I knew that I would have tapped out at that point, pretty hard to do much given the time constraints and letting him complete his attack fully, so I used my free arms to relinquish my wallet’s cash contents. Figured that money might distract them enough if not end the encounter (which it did). If they kept up I was going to try for an eye or two but it would have been very doubtful.

I got stupid and I got lucky. A little lesson in situational awareness and being prepared and it only cost $40 or so.

So I’m looking for good KM lessons based on my research it meets the practical and realistic needs and would likely help with situational awareness development.

Anyone know of any in NC (preferably Raleigh) with good reputation?

Thanks,
    John

mara-jade

Re: Lucky to be alive… Looking to stay that way.

Welcome to the forum,

Sorry to read about what happened to you..

Looking here there are a few centers but not directly in Raleigh
    https://kravmaga.com/ncarolina.asp

I’ve read great things bout Ryan Hoover’s center(rhek.com). You may want to see about heading out there, even if only for a few lessons. He just came to my center this past weekend for a seminar and he’s the real deal.

You can also buy Complete Krav Maga by Darren Levine & John Whitman. Ryan’s also co-authoring a beginner KM book with Darren that should be out next month.

You can also get the DVDs – granted they don’t replace a class but these and the books are definitely great references.

If you need anymore help, please ask and best wishes on your training:wav:

michaelmall

Hey if you can’t find a school to go to the ‘complete krav maga’ book is a good start .You will have to find a partner.

kvmorl

You got a Regional Training Center in NC, rhek he’s frequent around forums too.

kmcat

quote mara_jade:

… I’ve read great things bout Ryan Hoover’s center(rhek.com). You may want to see about heading out there, even if only for a few lessons. He just came to my center this past weekend for a seminar and he’s the real deal. …

Ryan & his compadre Jeff out of NC are very good! I got to have some instruction from them back in February at the Winter Camp seminar in Broomfield Colorado.

cav

Sorry to hear about your experiance. So was the Lawn guy involved voluntarily? Were you able to identify the other guy or is there a concern of retribution?

michael

Situational awareness is key, particularly at times when we are upset about something else or otherwise let our guard down. We have to guard against this at all times. You survived, which is the most important thing.

Ryan is a great teacher and has a really good school. Maybe you could arrange to spend a few days there for a “crash course” in KM.

Hello everyone. I have excellent news: After a little searching I have managed to rent some space and will start teaching Krav Maga classes on October 13th! If you want more information e-mail [email protected] and I’ll fill you in on the rest of the details. Group classes and privates will both be available. I look forwards to hearing from anyone who wants to train!

Ken Richstad

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: