Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Martial Art top 10 list.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    smart11222

Krav Maga is # 8. Should it be higher?

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/sports/top-10-martial-arts.html

mara-jade

Re: Martial Art top 10 list.

Oh cmon now..you’re asking THIS forum if it should be higher??rofl2

smart11222

I know alot of people who take Krav Maga also take other Martial Arts. Just want opinions on is this list way off.

mara-jade

Those kinda polls in general I take with a grain of salt. They’re just opinions, nothing scientific or anything.

saruotoko

Well….I’ll say this. And I think its a lesson all instructors get when we go through Phase training. I know our Phase group got it, and the lead instructor during Phase has taught instructors more than a few times.

Krav Maga isn’t necessarily better than any other martial art. What we DO better than other martial arts is get you from ZERO (i.e. no self defense abilities) to being able to take care of yourself & loved ones on the street FASTER than any other martial art.

I mean…seriously….how long does it take someone in jiu-jitsu to learn how to sink a triangle choke with your legs well enough to really use it instinctively? How about throwing a killer TKD-style spinning heel kick? Now, compare that with how fast you learn to throw an elbow effectively, or get out of a bearhug….or get out of a headlock.

Does that make Krav BETTER? Nope. But it does make our students CAPABLE….faster. In the end, I’m happy to go with that. 🙂

Who knows why the person put Krav so far down? Maybe the author took a classic martial art. TKD or Karate? I can’t say. But having taken classical martial arts myself, and earned a pair of Black Belts in two of them….I know for sure my Krav students could handle themselves in a fight faster than my Kuk Sool students could, at the same level of experience/training.

Just my own (humble) opinion in these matters. 🙂

Mario

clfmak

Judo got 10th? Lame.

nakmuay

Wow. Muay Thai is number one….I didn’t see that one coming. I have trained in Muay Thai for over 10 years and Krav for less than 6 months. I have spent some time with BJJ and Judo, but not much. I think of Muay Thai as more of a ring sport.

Nothing I ever did in Muay Thai prepared me for being choked, having a gun or a knife pulled on me or dealing with multiple attackers. I have used elements of Muay Thai, Judo, and BJJ in Krav and it pulls them together nicely. I think that perhaps Krav is the newest of all of those listed has something to do with the ranking.

vinman

Muay Thai is a nice compliment to Krav

gabriel-rizk

Krav Maga isn’t a martial art in the traditional sense.

Most other martial styles involve some highly effective techniques, but may be bogged down by ritual or inefficient movement.

My inexperienced opinion – Krav is combat. Martial arts are sport.

ffdo1234

I don’t know how to quote people yet, I am trying. (I am pretty old and didn’t grow up with computers.)

What Mario said is true. Nothing goes zero to sixty as fast as KM in my opinion. I have trained in quite a few “martial arts” but the problem with all of them is it takes SO long before you are engrained with anything usefulllll….

I am not saying someone that is a master in Kung Fu won’t hurt me bad. Kenpo or Shotokan blackbelts may well have their way with me. TKD blackbelts might, as well….. IF the are over twelve and weigh more than 90 pounds. IF a BJJ guy takes me to the ground, he/she might choke me out. but then, if I double tap, will they let me go?????? IF my twelve friends kick them in the head will they let me go??????

MT, no WAY I am gonna beat my bones to make them grow, over a long LONG time, but then, it is a ring sport, a VERY violent ring sport, but a sport none the less. I still am not fighting any MT guys or girls…. WORST bruises I ever got in KM was a small MT woman getting her instructor course in KM….

Aikido, if you know it well, I am not messing with you, but takes a while to learn the circles…. (It is what I recomend to my troops if there is not a KM place near by…..)

KM offers the most bang for the buck. It is the simplest to learn. The most instinctive to use and the most street wise system I have seen.

I am sure it was on a thread while I was off-line, but go download the “Human Weapon” series on Nat Geo Chan and see what they say about each.

JC

:):

jsf

TKD and kung fu are way too high.

A distinction should be made from sports and self-defence though. In ANY topic like this.

My background is more BJJ, and have been taking some Aiki jiu-jitsu classes (cuz there’s free classes in the basement of our building). A lot of the techniques I personally (secretly… cuz I don’t want to offend anyone, and am trying to keep and open mind) find useless in real combat. When people in my BJJ class found out, they ridiculed me.

What I find useful in Aiki jiujitsu is learning the wrist control, finger manipulation, pressure points. Using that stuff is illegal in BJJ competition, so it doesn’t transfer over.

But if I was being choked on the street, I know some “BJJ-illegal” techniques that can break the hold.

I’ve also used some pressure points “accidentally” in BJJ (in wrestling it’s called “Jonesing”) to break posture and such, or get people to make a move at times. And I got the best armbars and kimuras and keylocks in the class, because I also manipulate the wrist, by grabbing the hand, which is something I learned outside of BJJ.

bracius

I am not proficient enough in all of these martial arts to judge which one is better.

kpalena

Uh…it lists Frank Dux as a “famous” practioner of ninjitsu.

bracius

quote kpalena:

Uh…it lists Frank Dux as a “famous” practioner of ninjitsu.

LOL, don’t start :Deadhorse:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: