Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Martial Arts (JiuJitsu) in real world

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kazak4x4

Even though this is not directly Krav, but close JiuJitsu, I found this story quite amusing and rewarding.

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/37069754.html

I am a Krav student and have my 5 year old boy taking classes from the same trainer. So I am excited to see that all this training pays off for other kids.

sdkraver

Re: Martial Arts (JiuJitsu) in real world

quote Kazak4x4:

Even though this is not directly Krav, but close JiuJitsu, I found this story quite amusing and rewarding.

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/37069754.html

I am a Krav student and have my 5 year old boy taking classes from the same trainer. So I am excited to see that all this training pays off for other kids.

Nice to see a real world example of “defense against a dog” which seems to come up once in a while in this forum, and usually not very seriously.

I take my 5 yr old son out for walks in a nearby canyon, and we frequently see unleashed dogs and their over-confident owners.

We were charged once by an unleashed pitbull that was chased by its two humans, who were shouting “stop!” “stop!” and “heel!” to no effect whatsoever. Thankfully, the dog seemed curious and friendly rather than aggressive, but it opened my eyes to the “what if” scenario that we hear about so frequently with pit bulls.

Anyway, on these walks with my son I carry a can of pepper spray and have one hand around it when I see an unleashed dog. I’m told this will have little effect on a pit bull but I will use it anyway, with, I guess, stomp kicks to keep it out of range, then hopefully there’s a rock nearby that I can pick up to attack it with.

Anyone have any experience/tips on fighting an aggressive dog?

kazak4x4

I came across an angry german shepard once. I froze in place and haven’t ran due to fear. When the owner showed up, he told me that was the only thing that saved me, was not running. I have heard that dogs can sense fear and chase after the prey.

I don’t know what happened that day, because I had plenty of fear to go around, but I stood my ground and the dog never came close enough to attack, just barked and left me along as I stood frozen.

don

First, kudos to the kid! thumbsup

I just wonder how accurate the story is (and how big the dog was!) – 20 minutes is a LOOONG time to maintain a hold! bow1

stevetuna

quote SDKraver:

Anyone have any experience/tips on fighting an aggressive dog?

First hand experience. Or, more accurately, right forearm experience. My advice is to fight the dog first and the owner of the dog second. Do this by moving so that the dog is between you and the owner. Kick the dog as hard as you can as many times as you can wherever you can.

I hope that I never get to test this theory against a pit bull…

clfmak

There have been some threads on self defense from dogs, you could search for them. I had some stories in the last one.

smart11222

Child stops pit bull attack

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/37069754.html?video=YHI&t=a

Watch this, would like to hear opinions.

tks

speedsterz

Re: Child stops pit bull attack

my opinion,
    that’s one brave kid.

of course the responsible thing might have been to run and get help but the girl might of been injured even worse by then.

reminds me of a conversation i had with an IKMA instructor years ago who was telling me that there are Krav techniques that can be applied to dogs, one of them being going for the dog’s neck. guess he wasn’t kidding. haha

don

Re: Child stops pit bull attack

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=3581

can we merge the threads?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: