Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Maximizing class benefits

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jdr-stw

Hello all,

My name is Jennifer, and I am new to KM. I have been taking KM1 classes since April. I started because my husband and I live in a very remote location on an 1800 acre ranch. We have a four year old daughter that I frequently take hiking here, but border patrol seems to think we occasionally have drug/human traffickers passing through. I want to be able to defend my daughter and myself should we have the unlikely situation of running into them.

My problem is that I have a four hour round-trip drive to get to my class, and as a result I only attend once a week. What can I do to maximize what I am getting out of this? Can anyone recommend especially good books, dvd’s, training plans, etc as a supplement?

I am currently trying to use the Livestrong HIT training series at least a few times a week, but if there are better conditioning programs that reinforce KM training I would be happy to do that instead. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Jenn
    PS…that should be Jdr_stw…have a typo I’m not sure how to fix yet

maddogmean

Re: Maximizing class benefits

If you’re taking class at a KM Worldwide school, Darren Levine and John Whitman’s book The Complete Krav Maga is an excellent supplement to your training.

For conditioning, get a nice heavy bag and possibly Bas Rutten’s heavy bag workout CDs. They’re great too.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote MadDogMean:

If you’re taking class at a KM Worldwide school, Darren Levine and John Whitman’s book The Complete Krav Maga is an excellent supplement to your training.

For conditioning, get a nice heavy bag and possibly Bas Rutten’s heavy bag workout CDs. They’re great too.

Totally agree with both comments, the books are great to break down techniques and you can’t go wrong with a bas cd for cardio and reps.

PS name fixed, welcome~

jdr-stw

Thank you both very much. I do have a bag and a small workout room, and I will order a copy of the book asap. Checking eBay for the dvd’s now 🙂

By the way, I have no idea whether any of these are worth reading, but Amazon Prime offers quite a few Krav Maga ebooks for free in case anyone is interested. I will try to attach a pic, but I’m still learning how to work with forum settings so we will see.

don

If you haven’t done so already, I would recommend getting your entire family on board with training. Bags and non-MA/MMA workouts are great but nicer to have an experienced training partner to work on stuff that you might actually be doing (fighting/defending) – doubt you’re gonna win many fights or fend off many attacks wall balling or getting up turkish style… That remote, also consider weapons training, especially longer and closer range firearms…

jdr-stw

quote Don:

If you haven’t done so already, I would recommend getting your entire family on board with training. Bags and non-MA/MMA workouts are great but nicer to have an experienced training partner to work on stuff that you might actually be doing (fighting/defending) – doubt you’re gonna win many fights or fend off many attacks wall balling or getting up turkish style… That remote, also consider weapons training, especially longer and closer range firearms…

I would love to get these guys on board, but my husband runs the ranch and can’t take off to San Antonio with us on Wednesdays. He also has a torn rotator cuff (that he should have fixed years ago) and just had knee surgery last fall. The good news with him is that he is a retired Marine sharpshooter (has a lot to do with all the injuries) and not only knows his way around weapons but even without any Krav experience he knows many of the basic techniques for good punches, kicks, etc. He has agreed to go with me one Saturday and partner up to help me troubleshoot. Getting him to do it on a regular basis is a different story. I try to review with him when I get home but a lot of times I can tell he is worn out. We have a pretty big age difference and he is in this heat on the ranch all day…it takes a lot out of him.

My four year old is too young to take KM, but we have had her in Taekwondo since she was two. I take classes with her (older class group) once a week during the school year so I can reinforce what she is learning. I plan to get her in at minimum age (8 years old here). So I guess we are all “kind of” on board?

Weapons I def. need to do, but truthfully they make me nervous…especially because my daughter is wih me. We have a shooting range on the ranch and my husband just bought an expensive gun for me a few months ago, but the wee bit is attached at the hip and I am scared to have her up there with us. Sitters are hard to come by out here…so the gun sits – unfired. We got a ridiculously big dog for now instead – they use these guys to defend sheep from Wolves in Turkey, and he will be about 150 lbs when he is fully grown. Sorry for the book…lying around on a Sunday morning and obviously needing more social interaction lol.

Thanks for the suggestions.

maddogmean

JDR.

I also train at STW. I sent you a PM if you have any questions.

jdr-stw

Thank you. I sent a pm to you too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: