Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Mexico shooting video

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    joerussell

I am hesitant to share this video, but perhaps it will do some good. Although Monday morning quarterbacking may not hold much merit because of the situation… maybe people with the proper training can post comments on what this person who tried to help could have done differently.

Here is security camera footage of the Friday afternoon shooting on metro Balderas, a Metro police officer approaches a man who is scrawling graffiti on a wall. The man pulls out a gun and shoots the officer, killing him. The rush-hour crowd scatters instantly. In the confusion, a second man attempts to subdue the shooter, but he stumbles several times, and the assailant eventually fires into his head, ending his life.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f7_1253336499

Re: Mexico shooting video

Intense video,

The civilian who got shot certainly wasn`t lacking in the bravery department – what a battle!

The biggest mistake people make in an `untrained disarm` is they tend to go for the person and not the weapon, and secondly if they react to the weapon it tends to be ineffective like trying to slap the weapon to the side.

KM firearm defenses focus on the main immediate threat which is where the gun is pointing – so work as follows: redirect (barrel), control, counterattack (devastating)..in quick following order.

There`s no guarantee of a positive outcome with a KM disarm but there`s much improved chances as compared the untrained style I would think.

kravmdjeff

Seems like the biggest problem was the civilian’s footing…every time he tried to burst forward, he slipped. Almost every single time. Also, while it seemed like he was working hard to try to get a hand on the weapon, I couldn’t tell if he ever tried to strike the gunman. I know in classes we talk to some extent about environmental concerns like footwear, slippery surfaces…but again, like JoeRussell said…I don’t intend to question the civilian’s decision to act. I commend him for it. I do think those who choose to watch the video can use it as an encouragement to train harder and more accurately on handgun defenses.

karmaok

Helluva effort when everyone else was running away. Sir you have my respect and I commend your bravery and fighting spirit. Sometimes things just break bad and death is rarely ever fair. RIP

quote KravMDjeff:

Seems like the biggest problem was the civilian’s footing…every time he tried to burst forward, he slipped. Almost every single time.

Have been thinking about this clip recently & indeed, maybe he would have prevailed if he had footwear with more grip. Pretty sad that a little detail such as shoe treads might have spelled the difference between life & death. Definitely a lesson in there. Really was reminded of this doing some recent travel through airports wearing flat-sole dress shoes. Seriously thinking of switching to Dr Martin’s with more traction soles.

jrodf4

Being a LEO the only advise I can give people under attack by a person with a gun/knife/weapon is to TRY to stay under control (as far as emotion fear/aggression) :OhMy: think about what you are doing. FIGHT SMART, I know it is easier said than done and no matter how much training you have it will be VERY SCARY!!!!

Think about the situation before you get in to it, are you just gonna be another victim :dunno:.. Call for help!!!!

Dont bring a spoon to a gun fight…..

That being said the man in the white shirt had lots of heart,bravery & courage and those are traits you can NOT teach. You either have that or you dont….

jrodf4

quote Chocolate Soldier:

Have been thinking about this clip recently & indeed, maybe he would have prevailed if he had footwear with more grip. Pretty sad that a little detail such as shoe treads might have spelled the difference between life & death. Definitely a lesson in there. Really was reminded of this doing some recent travel through airports wearing flat-sole dress shoes. Seriously thinking of switching to Dr Martin’s with more traction soles.

It dont matter how ready you think you are there will always be something that you wish you did different or done better..

I have tactical boots that are water proof and oil/water resistant soles with great traction BUT with the floor full of blood, pepper spray, toilet water it is still very slick and you will end up on the floor/ground:Surprised:
    if you aint carefull.

krujoe

quote Chocolate Soldier:

I think the main problem is this guy went chasing after the guy with the gun. If you’re not in the gun fight, go the other way. He was also shot in the face right away, I’m sure that definitely affected his footing, along with the other debris on the ground.

jamesh-d30

It’s a good thing Mexico has strict gun control laws, or that guy may have had a semi auto instead of a revolver. (sarcasm, for those who don’t know me)
    Prayers for the cop and the hero. I say hero because even though he died in the process, he did occupy the gunman long enough for others to escape, and force him to spend time reloading.

jstrauss

I saw this video a few months back when it was released, and I agree with Chocolate Soldier that the mistake people seem to make is to go for the person, not the weapon. I’ve never defended against a gun outside of the training room, so I can’t begin to criticize the defender’s tactics, but I’m sure that, as Jrodf4 mentioned, in a real-life scenario, the ****’s so deep and scary that it could be hard to get your head together; I suppose that’s what good training is for.

That said, from a KM perspective, a gun-threat-from-the-front defense (including aggressive striking) would probably have made the difference. Regarding the slippery shoes, Jarret Waldman from KMWW Sherman Oaks has a video on YouTube explaining a gun defense from the front with the defender on his knees. A tactic like that may have helped the defender in the defender in the video a great deal. Sad as it is, videos like these allow us to analyze real-life situations and help us train better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: