Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Miesha Tate teaches Women’s Self Defense

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    maddogmean

Has anyone tried the bear hug defense demoed here?

https://youtu.be/5QGRMMpOC7s

five04zog

Re: Miesha Tate teaches Women’s Self Defense

BJJ white belt level (maybe 1st or 2nd stripe, don’t recall). One of the first standing self defense moves in BJJ.

don

It’s one option but IMO you need a lot of things to go “right” in order for you to be successful – e.g. your arms have to have enough movement/freedom, you need to be able to bend forward, you have to have time to execute the technique, the BG’s leg has to be available/accessible for you to grab, you have to have enough grip and strength in order to pull the leg, and the BG has to be surprised enough to let go, etc. It wouldn’t be the only defense I show a student…

The good thing is that the BG’s hands are dedicated – he’s not gonna be able to hit you or deploy a weapon while he’s holding you. The bad thing is that most BG’s are probably not gonna just sit there with his arms around you posing for a prom picture – be prepared for an immediate pick up and body slam or a rear trip takedown among other things…

five04zog

quote Don:

It’s one option but IMO you need a lot of things to go “right” in order for you to be successful – e.g. your arms have to have enough movement/freedom, you need to be able to bend forward, you have to have time to execute the technique, the BG’s leg has to be available/accessible for you to grab, you have to have enough grip and strength in order to pull the leg, and the BG has to be surprised enough to let go, etc. It wouldn’t be the only defense I show a student…

The good thing is that the BG’s hands are dedicated – he’s not gonna be able to hit you or deploy a weapon while he’s holding you. The bad thing is that most BG’s are probably not gonna just sit there with his arms around you posing for a prom picture – be prepared for an immediate pick up and body slam or a rear trip takedown among other things…

I agree with Don. I never liked this bear-hug defense. I feel Krav Maga teaches better standing self-defense responses to most common attacks.

Don’t get me wrong, if you have seen some of my other forum posts, you know that I’m pro-BJJ/MMA, but (in my humble opinion) Krav Maga seems to have the overall most simplistic, systematic and simple response to all common street attacks.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

You lost me at “Miesha Tate teaches Women’s Self Defense”

five04zog

rofl2

quote CJs Dad:

You lost me at “Miesha Tate teaches Women’s Self Defense”

:OhMy:

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

The only thing worse than someone born in Israel claiming to be a Krav Maga expert is a celebrity trying to stay relevant by doing a fitness/self defense video.

five04zog

But…. David Carradine was a real Kung fu master. But only in slow-motion.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

My grandmother taught me the ancient art of underwater basket weaving and although I don’t have an actual scuba certificate my ancestors did climb out of the water onto the beach to become the first land animals. Which means being in the water is genetic.

So I got that going for me

catapult

Wow, I don’t think Meisha Tate is THAT bad. She couldn’t beat Rhonda Rousey but she managed to hang with her for a couple of rounds before getting nailed by the patented Rousey armbar. And Rousey was a legit Olympic medalist in judo before she started MMA and she’s gotten a lot better since.

don

Honda Housey is an MMA goddess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRhK9bM4XgU

:D:

catapult

Rousey – Tate, UFC 168

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1e63g7_ufc-168-roussey-vs-tate_sport

Only one where Rousey has had to go more than a round.

five04zog

Generally speaking, woman’s MMA has been more exiting and fun to watch.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote five04zog:

Generally speaking, woman’s MMA has been more exiting and fun to watch.

Totally agree!

Still woman’s MMA isn’t reality based self defense.

BJJ white belt level

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: