Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics missing class, getting lazy, needing motivation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    david-b

I’ve been taking Krav for about 2 months, going to class 3 times a week. A few weeks ago I strained a tendon in my elbow pretty bad doing a technique wrong. It’s been progressively getting worse and my wife who is a physical therapist, said it would be a good idea if(I’m sure most married men know what it actually means when a wife says \”it might be a good idea if…\”) I take a couple of weeks off from Krav. Well, it’s been a week and I’m already feeling more lazy and have less energy. I’ve still been running, but I can’t even do bag work. I’m afraid that next week when I am well enough to go back to class my head won’t be back into it. Any ideas on keeping motivated waiting out an injury?

gary

I was out for 2 months last summer. I bought the 5 series DVD and it sparked the fire till I was ready to get back to class again!!-

mara-jade

Hi David,

I hear ya! I’ve been out almost a month myself due to a new schedule (getting up earlier and being too enery zapped to train) and I’ve been sick. The videos are great to watch.

It’s great to want to get back into class, but don’t do it before your body’s healed up. It’ll just take longer to get back.

There’s also a new KM book coming out in November you may want to take a look at.

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=2044589

This has happened to me before due to injuries. I twisted my knee pad really bad last year. I couldn’t take krav for at least a few weeks and was limited in which cardio classes I could take.

My motiviation – I still want to learn and I’ll be damned if I gain the 20 pounds Krav helped me lose 😀

veganmark

My friend,

One of the things you may want to start doing is some bodyweight exercises or gentle stretching. Definately not the hamstring because it needs time to heal. However, the rest of the body can be exercised regularly. A website that I found through bodyweightculture.com is http://www.elasticsteel.com. This guy knows what he’s talking about. He is a martial artist with years of experience and I just bought one of his books to enhance my own bodyweight program and learn how to do a split properly. He is the man that can show you how. Of course, you’re not trying to stretch this area now but he has a great book on upper body exercises and that should definately motivate you until you’re all healed up.

la-revancha

Bas and yoga. Obviously, tone the Bas intensity to suit your rehab.

calicogirl

If I was your instructor I would tell you to wrap that elbow and arm, and get your a$$ to class. There are drills with legs, feet and your other arm. Anything that involves the use of that arm you don’t do, and then start to do lightly after healing.

I know women that still take class with injury, they just know boundries. Why are you out?

david-b

ordered the DVD;s today

I’m out because I saw an orthopod Saturday afternoon and he put my arm in a sling. I’m doing some leg work, but it’s amazing how much your arm is invloved with those. It’s not that it hurts when i try to extend my arm, I’m actually unable to do it (muscle guarding). It’s not frozen, because someone can grab it and straiten it. It hurts like hell, but I\”m not going to let it completely atrophy from being immobiliezed.

david-b

plus I really don’t want to risk surgery. Being kind of a wuss now may save me a few months in rehab down the line

kravmdjeff

David, I’m with your wife on this one, for a slightly different reason. Worsening or making permanant an injury works AGAINST the goal of becoming safer. However, you expressed this fear:

\”I’m afraid that next week when I am well enough to go back to class my head won’t be back into it\”

I would suggest that you recognize there’s a certain degree of choice in whether or not your head is in it. When you’re healed up and ready to go back, PUT your head back into it. You’ll be fine.

mara-jade

Re:

quote \”David B\:

plus I really don’t want to risk surgery. Being kind of a wuss now may save me a few months in rehab down the line

I can’t blame ya there 😀 . When I first hurt my knee pad, I thought I just sprained it so I ignored it. First class 2 days later we were going to the ground. Um, no this AIN’T NO SPRAIN.

It still wouldn’t hurt to do some exercises not involving your arm. If you’re doing some and you’re not in pain, great for you!

Hope you get back in soon 😀

david-b

I got cleared to start training again. I got reminded that \”discomfort is okay pain is not\”. I\”m excited about getting back to it, I’m surprised how much i missed it!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: