Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

I’m pretty sure I remember a few people here are also involved in MMA fighting. I’m about to start a Hiraido program at Ultima in Tucson, so I want to know if you guys or gals have any helpful advice to pass along.
    Thanks.

edmundich

Re: MMA advice

Make sure you have a year or two of BJJ and /or Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing or Krav level 3-5 🙂

quote Nickolas Cook:

I’m pretty sure I remember a few people here are also involved in MMA fighting. I’m about to start a Hiraido program at Ultima in Tucson, so I want to know if you guys or gals have any helpful advice to pass along.
    Thanks.
    clfmak

I’ve seen people go from a strictly self defense program to a MMA one, and when they get caught in submissions or get hit with kicks, they say that they could have won if they could gouge eyes, kick groins etc. This train of thought can really limit your progress.

I have some boxing background. Here’s my plan. I was thinking of dropping KM for a bit, pick up BJJ, while also doing Hiraido. The Hiraido instructors all advise me there will be no need for BJJ because their program will have plenty. Since I’ve never taken Hiraido before, I have no idea if this is true or not. I sure don’t like the idea of dropping Krav, though. I still have a vast passion for it and it’s fun.

Nickolas,
    I am a Krav instructor and I’ve had a couple MMA fights as well… What are your goals with MMA? Are you planning to fight or just looking to train? I looked at the description of the Hiraido system and it seems to be a pretty thorough ground fighting system. As was mentioned, you will want some Muay Thai training or some kind of kickboxing to complement what you do. If you have the time (and funds) there is no reason to drop Krav from your training, as long as you can turn rules on and off in your mind when you transition to and from Krav training to sport fighting. Aside from the actual fighting techniques, the aggressive mindset of Krav is a great thing to have going into an MMA fight… Maybe split training by weeks if time is an issue…

jesse

Fred! This is “Jon”. Thanks for the workout on Tuesday night and welcome to the board.

Fred, I want to fight. Thanks for the advice. I’m online now, looking for a school near me that has either Muay Thai or kickboxing to supplement the other training. And since I know size counts…I’m 6’1″ and 265 lbs. Any other training you guys can think of for my size that would make a huge difference? Any stuff I should avoid?

nixxon

Nick,

I took the Hiraido class at the Ultima. Its pretty much a standard MMA class but with the Japanese structure. Bowing in, bowing to opponents etc. They are structuring it to be respectful and eliminate those punk kids who wear TapouT and wanna just go brawl in backyards.

That being said, in the class I took we did a warmup, did takedowns, strikes (kicks, knees and punch combos) and then worked on a submission.

Im not sure if that was designed to be a beginning sampling of the class, or if it will be like that completely, but it’ll probably give you a decent dabbling of every aspect.

I myself am taking pure BJJ now, not doing any Krav or Muy Thai and after a year or so of that I might start taking an MMA class. I may or may not fight, but if I do I would rather have a really strong ground game. Rage in the Cage (Which I’m assuming your going to want to get into) seemed to be just a bunch of brawlers who wanna stand up and strike, none of them looked comfortable on the ground really. I would go for the easy submissions.

Yeah, Nixxon, you called it: Rage In the Cage. So Hiraido and BJJ wouldn’t be a bad idea then, I take it. Apparently Mark bought the Ultima on my side of town and he has George Ropp and some others coming in to help teach the class. When I watched the class last week, I noticed there were a lot of small guys. No one near my size. Then I found out Dan Lutz is also going to be working with us. That pretty sold me on it.

One little piece of advice I would pass on, and it’s not my own but comes from my friend Jeff Jimmo, is to forget about your size while you are training. It is an obvious advantage, but not one you want to come to rely on. Train like a small guy and perfect the techniques without muscling your way through them. Then when fight time comes and you add in your natural strength to the well-practiced techniques you are that much better off…

Yeah, I got my ass handed to me by someone half my size as soon as we hit the ground. Hence, why I started getting very apprehensive about my lack of ground experience. We’ve done some in KM, but not nearly enough.

jonj480

Nickolas, I have been interested in Rage in the Cage as well. They have an MMA program that I have been doing along with Krav for quite a while now at my Krav school and Rage in the Cage is one of those things that I think I gotta do once. I am coming up on 35 so I know my time is limited and I wont make a career out of it, just need to do it once. I’m curious to hear how you prepare for it, etc. I’d even be up for makin a drive to train with you if you have time. I am alot smaller than you (6’3″, 185) but my reach is pretty sick and I like to train ground with guys who are bigger than me.

Have you trained much ground fighting?

quote Jesse:

Fred! This is “Jon”. Thanks for the workout on Tuesday night and welcome to the board.

Hey Jon… more of the same tonight:)

JonJ, I’m with you on the age thing. I’m closing in on 39 in a couple of months. But, like you, I want to give it a shot before it’s ‘too late’. HA! Part of it is to test myself, to push myself further physically. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year around this time, sitting at around 300 lbs. Since then I’ve lost 40 lbs and put on some solid muscle, gotten my glucose levels and such down to almost normal again, to the point of almost being able to get rid of the drugs I have to take. The MMA training alone would be worth it just to move to the next step in the ladder of physical potential.
    I have a Myspace blog I’ve been keeping for a while now that has postings about my past and current training. Look for many more blogs to come about my move into the MMA arena.
    And anytime you’re down this way, man, let me know. Shoot me an email [email protected] and we’ll get together for some training.

jesse

Quote: “More of the same tonight.”

It’s what I come for. Ryan hammered us this morning and it was great.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: