Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics MMA fighter critical after stabbing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ryan

Very sad. And sobering. While it’s not clear whether Lee has experience with weapons defenses, it’s exceedingly clear that he was a man who ‘knows how to take care of himself.’

Be careful out there, tough guys.

kmsf

Without knowing the specifics like did he square off with the perp first or if his back was turned and as he turned towards the guy with the knife if then he was stabbed and had no chance for a defense. Maybe he was the instigator and punched someone that feared for their life and stabbed him in self defense. Spin will be put on it for sure. Lawyers will be involved. Keep the knife scenario training up everyone it may pay off in the end.

problem-bear

This is terrible! I wish all the best to Lee and hope he pulls through. He is a warrior!

clfmak

Not only was it a knife attack- it said that it was a mass mob fight of 25 people. If you’re in the middle of that many people, no martial art I’ve experienced will save you. Unless you have a gun, and with that many people, they still might jam you up too much.

ryan

No \”martial art\”, but maybe some good scenario training and common sense tactics. I hate to \”judge\” in a situation like this, but to say this couldn’t be avoided is likely a farce. From all accounts (including his own), Lee was prone to fighting outside the ring, and he was at a club at 2 or 3 in the AM. If you do that enough, sooner or later it’s likely to get the best of you.

clfmak

Yes, but I’m sure somewhere, people are going to use this to market their self defense crap. I saw it happen with Alex Tao. I can see it now.

\”That mixed martial art stuff may look pretty good, but IT CAN GET YOU KILLED IN THE STREET! Just look at that Lee guy. Learn my secret style that counts in the street, where all that leg kick and flying armbar garbage won’t work.\”

jt

CLFMak- I think you mean \”Alex Gong,\” not \”Alex Tao.\” That was definitely a sad loss… But to Ryan’s point, that was another scenario where cooler heads may have prevailed. If there was one thing that 4 1/2 years of Krav taught me, it’s that I don’t want to fight anyone. I’m more than happy to brutally defend myself or loved ones, but when you get cocky enough to think that you can beat someone up because you know (insert Martial Art X here), that’s when you get into trouble. It’s especially funny to realize how many guys half my size (i.e. Ryan or my instructor in Denver) could kick my ass from here to Sunday. Stories like Lee Murray’s, and practicing KM should give you the resources to make intelligent decisions about your safety.

ryan

Great points JT, and unfortunately, Alex Gong is another \”good\” example. He chased a guy who sideswiped his car, while wearing Thai shorts and boxing gloves. That’s why you pay insurance, and that’s why training purely in a sportive environment is simply not the same. In the ring, he was the man, no doubt, but that doesn’t always translate in the \”real world\”. We should also take from this that even a world class athlete, trained to fight at the highest level, can’t handle every situation. From what I understand, Lee had a propensity for \”street\” fighting, so he was likely a tough SOB in that realm as well.

Oh, and I’m not marketing anything, just giving some opinions. 😉

anonymous

I guess in both of these situations (Gong and Lee) there was not a whole lot either one of them could have done to defend himself (other than staying away from the situation in the first place). In the fight Lee was involved in, looks like it was a huge brawl and at some point someone had a knife and started stabbing him. He probably never even saw the knife until it was too late. In the Alex Gong situation the assailant fired from inside the car. Even knowing gun defenses might not have helped him in that situation.

clfmak

Right, Alex Gong. Alex Tao is an iron palm guy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: