Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Months-old hand injury healed by skiing?!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lalupta

Hi folks,

Here are the facts, and I hope you’ll make something out of them… I’m kinda puzzled.

1. Three months ago I did a 360 block with my left arm, wrist to wrist. The other guy was much bigger, or I didn’t block correctly or something, and the side of my left palm opposite the thumb, started hurting. It seemed like the pain was llcated from the wrist to the pinky knuckle, in the bone and muscle.
    2. after that event, I felt the left hand pain during various types of motions. I avoided as much as possible using that area during training.
    3. for a while, I applied Arnicare gel. That did not seem to have any effect on the pain.
    4. one month ago during training we did hammer fists. I forgot about my injury and struck the punchbag… OUCH. Since then I stopped KM training completely.
    5. yesterday (Saturday) I went skiing for 4 hours. The temperature was around 40F. I skied downhill on some gorgeous blue slopes at Heavenly Tahoe, using ski gloves and poles. I felt the pain in my left hand as soon as I hit the snow with the ski pole. (it was one of those types of motion).
    6. today (Sunday) I spent about an hour in ~35F temperature without gloves.
    7. Tonight I found out to my big surprise that the pain was largely gone! I had to push hard into the side of the palm with the other hand to feel any pain. The motions that used to cause pain, now no longer cause much or any.

So, what do you think happened here?

magamike

Re: Months-old hand injury healed by skiing?!

No fun to start a thread and get no reponses. :(:

I really have no idea medically speaking why that would happen. But I can relate. I’ve had that kind of thing happen to me before too. I remember I slipped on the ice one time crossing a frozen lake and I got the most hideous pain a few days later – like sciatica (sp?) or something. I couldn’t sleep and couldn’t get comfortable. OTC pain meds did nothing. Then, I was laying on my side on the floor trying to get in a position to get any kind of relief one night, elongated my body, rolled over slowly onto my back and immediately felt all the pain subside. I sat up. Good. I stood up. Still good. It was over! Why? Our nerves are really goofy. I think sometimes something gets pinched maybe and you do some weird movement and it gets unpinched and then it stops hurting. Who knows.

neuf08

Definitely a very weird occurrence. I’ve never heard of anything like that, and maybe it was the cold that really helped your wrist. I’ve used arnica is the past with some success, but my favorite is the Arnicare cream. I find that works pretty well with injuries and bruising, and even sore muscles. You just apply it right to the affected are and it really works. It helps things heal so much faster. The company also says it can be used post-surgically, although I’ve never tried it on any wounds before.

kirsten

Nature did its thing I guess…?? Time probably healed it and the cold was just coincidental. But again, I am not a Dr.

Either way, I am glad to hear you healed.

silas

I had a similar injury from kick defenses, at first I thought it was the wrist but after alot of probing and massageing i found it was linked to muscle/tendon along the the outside blade of my forearm (even though the place it was hurting was wrist and side of palm). I just kept massageing every day and after a couple weeks it was all gone. But after rereading this if it happens again im going strieght for the ice see if that works better.

thinkmike

Non Scientific reply.

Dude
    (Hill)
    (Hill)
    (hill)

————–
    (hill)dude *bump*
    (hill)
    (hill)
    ————-
    (hill)
    (hill)dude *bump*
    (hill)

————
    (hill)
    (hill)
    (hill) dude *bump*

———–

All the bumpiness of your skiing probably compressed (and help to release) pressure in your vertebrae. You went to sleep, body naturally elongated. Problem solved.

You can always try yoga next. 🙂 I have found that it really helps with all those weird tingles from bad computer posture. Now if I can just get back into it. I need some more flexibility for class!

baptist

I have RSI in my right hand because Im training to be a carpenter in college so now and again my right hand is very weak….

Last time this happened I wore a splint for the day then took it off and went to Krav class, coulda been a stupid idea but the next day it felt a lot stronger, mystery haha

good to hear the pain has gone though

I’d hate to not be able to go

rfc

Maybe gripping the ski poles strengthened the muscles.

About 6 weeks ago, I badly jammed the long finger of my left hand to the point that it seemed the knuckle closest to the hand might have been broken. I avoided punching as the whole hand was very sensitive -it even hurt badly to punch lightly with 16oz gloves. Since Krav activities were limited, I went to my regular gym and while lifting dumbells etc, the grip gradually strenghtened. It was helpful to ice it down after a work out. I can punch at about 70% now. Another couple weeks and things should go back to normal.

… Just like most injuries, the first couple days needs ice and massage. The next week or two needs ice, heat and massage -and after that, gradual build-up to normal use. Plain and simple, injuries take time and care to heal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: