Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Personal Gear Discussion Mouthguard for small faces

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    skibum

Looking for suggestions for a good mouthguard with the following requirements:
    1) must be not too hard
    2) decent protection
    3) not impede breathing too much during sparring
    4) be comfortable for small faces (I am 5’3″, 130)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

don

Re: Mouthguard for small faces

quote skibum:

Looking for suggestions for a good mouthguard with the following requirements:
    1) must be not too hard
    2) decent protection
    3) not impede breathing too much during sparring
    4) be comfortable for small faces (I am 5’3″, 130)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

All your requirements are pretty subjective. You may have to try a few different brands/models before you find something you really like.

Right now, I’m using Shock Doctor (I’ve got 2 different mouth pieces) but I don’t have the latest model (shown here)

http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/power-gel-ultra.aspx

I have this model

http://www.everythingfitness.com/pr-mo-041.html

and the version before it.

Many of these types of guards are re-heatable/re-formable and easily customized (trimmed/snipped).

In case you take some good shots to the chin/jaw, I also recommend you keep chewing gum in your gear bag… thumbsup

kirsten

Second on the ShockDoctor… It’s all I recommend. Go to your local sporting goods store to get one or variety store. I wear a childs size mouth guard. I would suggest you try one of these first.

skibum

Thank you both Don and Kirsten. I will try ShockDoctor youth size.

Don, how will having chewing gum in my gear bag help? Am I missing a joke?:Surprised:

don

Re: chewing gum – actually serious. If I’m sparring in “instructing mode”, I often do quite a bit of talking to my sparring partners/students while we’re mixing it up. Unfortunately, that also means I sometimes take some good shots to the face/head/jaw in mid-sentence. I have found that chewing gum (keeping the jaw muscles moving/not letting them stiffen up) immediately after sparring helps reduce the severity of ache/pain later (jaw and/or inner ear). YMMV…

skibum

Don, I see. The logic seems similar to walking instead of sitting down after a hard run, so the muscles have a chance to recover a bit and stay pliant later.
    As far as getting clocked in the jaw while talking during sparring – I am not an instructor yet, so it is not an immediate danger for me now. I am just trying to survive when bigger guys using their long range fists from safe distance… :box:

geary

What company makes the best clear colored mouth guard? I am buying one for my wife tonight and she insists on clear….

huginn

Just go to your dentist and ask for a custum made mouthguard. I have done this and I¥m very pleased with it. It is of course more expensive, but it makes breathing much easier and I can easily talk when wearing it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: