Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Muay Thai and Krav Maga

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kmman

I have one open day in my schedule and KM is closed so I can take a Muay Thai class locally.

Im sort of thinking that MT and KM may cover many same things.

Can anyone tell me if MT is a good compliment to KM or would that be overkill? Im sure BJJ would compliment but not sure on MT.

Also, if anyone has MT experience can you give me the details of a typical class training I should expect?

Otherwise, Im perfectly happy to do KM only but figured I can get a day of exercise in this way (dont like gyms).

leejam99

Re: Muay Thai and Krav Maga

IMHO more knowledge you have in any subject…the better off you are as long as your smart enough to know how to digest it and use the information correctly weather its in self defense or how to cook pasta 🙂 You should think of additional training as just adding tools in your tool box. it doesn’t mean you have to use it…but its always good to have that tool.

As far as MT being a good compliment to KM, MT is used as a primer for stand up technique in most MMA camps so yes i think MT is a very good compliment for any type of fighting/self defense art. Again…as long as you can intelligently use the information you’ll learn…its all good. Just don’t go to either gym and try to inject the other form into it. that is just plain disrespectful.

typical class will vary by what type of MT it is and how that instructor has been taught. 2 major styles are Thailand MT and European/Dutch MT like Mejiro Gym. either case, there should be lot of heavy bag kicking and thai pad hitting and sparring…….oh..lots of absorbing kicks to your legs especially in Dutch style.

nakmuay

I have just started KM- all of my experience has been in MT. They seem to compliment each other nicely. I am still getting used to wearing shoes, widening my stance and not swinging my arm during roundkicks.

Anyway, most of the different places I have gone to have been fairly similar in training, even Master Toddy’s in Las Vegas. The typical session is usually for around 2 hours or so. EVERYTHING we do is by the bell. Three minute rounds, 30 seconds rest. A lot of what we do is repetitious and doesn’t change up a whole lot. From what I understand, this is somewhat typical in Thailand as well- every day there is pretty much the same starting out with a 10-12k run 6 days a week.

So here’s a snapshot of a typical session:

Warm up
    -Jump rope 5 rounds (straight through rest periods)
    -Shadowbox 1-2 rounds footwork
    -Shadowbox 1 round with punching
    -Shadowbox 1 round with punching and elbows
    -Shadowbox 1 round with punching, elbows and knees
    -Shadowbox 1-2 rounds with punching, elbows, knees and kicks
    -Shadowbox with partner 1-2 rounds (usually spacing of about 2-3 feet between)
    -Push kicks with partner 1-2 rounds (yes, taking kicks to stomach)
    -Light roundkicks with partner for timing 1-2 rounds (yes, taking kicks to shins, thighs and sides)

Bag work
    -clinch/knee drills 2 rounds
    -1/2 combos 1 round
    -3/4 combos 1 round
    -5/6 combos 1 rounds
    -Burnouts- 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min
    -low kicks 1 round
    -mid kicks 1 round
    -higher kicks 1 round
    -1/2 combos with kicks 1-2 rounds
    -3/4 combos with kicks 1-2 rounds
    -Burnouts- 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min

Pad Work / light sparring
    -basically rotate out every 3 rounds between light sparring (20-40%), neck wrestling and individual padwork- each person usually ends up with about 3-4 rounds of individual padwork
    -number of rounds vary

Conditioning
    -3×50 situps, pushups, burpees (without the pushup)
    -pullups to exhaustion
    -Sit ups with partner dropping medicine ball on stomach 1 round each

Those are pretty much the staples as far as I have been exposed to in MT. I don’t have any exposure to the MMA gyms that offer MT, so they could be different.

BTW- it’s a total different mindset than training in KM.

kmman

Im puking just reading your post!

Wow, I definitely now realize the difference. Pretty much like western boxing training.

Thanks for the responses NAK and LEE!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: