Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    unstpabl1

On Rossboxing.com, my favorite combat strength and conditioning site, A question was asked about what to take. He had been in MT for 4 months and liked it but was considering Krav. Things like the watered down Krav crap came up, but after I posted I think they understand it better. I told him he has to decide in the end what the purpose of his training is. To fight in the ring or SD.. Though MT is great in the street its focus is the ring. I told him to stick with MT at this time, for about a year. My reasoning was that In a year Of THai you pretty much have learned the system. I thought the structure of MT would translate easily into krav. That they were totally compatable. Not being a Krav guy, I’m wondering if you guys would concur? The other reason I didn’t tell him to just jump to krav was that 4-5 month point is a place where you kinda hit a plateu. You don’t know crap, but ya think ya know sumptin’….know what I mean
    mike

kmcat

Basing any conclusions off watching a martial arts move is probably not advised — Howvever, about Muay Thai; This week I watched \”The Protector\” with Tony Jaa in the movie he was doing Muay Thai, and it was surprising how many of the moves looked very \”Krav Maga-ish\”.

My interest in Muay Thai was tweaked.

In addtion one of the senior instructors at our school has also mentioned Muay Thai in a favorable way and also taught us a Muay Thai head lock hold for a variation of the hold with knee strike.

sean-akrav

I don’t know much of the history of Krav Maga but the muay thai clench is pretty familiar for me from Krav.

Also I thought there were two different MTs, the ‘traditional’ type and then the sport type. Either one I think are brutal.

clfmak

As I understand it, there are like three types. There’s the popular sport version we’re all familiar with. Then there’s krabi krabong, the old military style using weapons. Then there’s muay boran, which is called the old style muay thai but I’ve also heard its more like the pro wrestling of Thailand. The run up the leg and elbow the head type stuff would lead me to believe the last characterization is at least a little apt.

In my opinion controling the thai clinch/necktie is completely essential if you plan on using knees for self defense, even if you plan on using hair pulling and such for head control for self defense. Also, the kicks, elbows, knee strikes, punches and defenses are solid and trained in good ways in muay thai. All these elements can be modified just a little to be even more street effective- round kick delivered to knee joint, kicking the groin, adding thumb jabs into the punching arsenal, web hands etc, plus you’re already used to working with a live opponent. Granted there are areas not adressed in muay thai, but it excels at the ranges it works within.

anonymous

I think the Muay Thai sparring is probably similar to the sparring we do in KM fighting class. We even used to have a Muay Thai class at the NTC.

However, I don’t think takedowns or grappling are addressed in Muay Thai and neither are weapons defenses. So, if your goal is to learn self-defense, KM would be a more complete system.

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

I
    However, I don’t think takedowns or grappling are addressed in Muay Thai and neither are weapons defenses. So, if your goal is to learn self-defense, KM would be a more complete system.

That was what i told the kid on the Ross’s board.Your right about grappling in MT, though there is a very strong focus on clinch work that isn’t addressed in most systems, working the clinch for throws ,knees ,elbows and in the past head butts. I know you use the thai clinch to set up your knees, the mechanics of your round kick and elbows are at least thai inspired.

kpalena

Remember that Krav is not it’s own art per se. We tend to \”borrow\” techniques fron other arts. If it is effective in the street it is a part of Krav Maga. Because of this many of the strikes in Krav Maga look very much like MT, but the two arts have a different goal. MT is a sport that works on the street. KM is a street art. I think that KM would greatly add to a MT practioners SD ability. It just depends on what his goals are.

clfmak

Good muay thai training should have a good deal of upright grappling. In a muay thai fight where one man is clearly outclassed, you often see takedowns although not a part of the rule structure. For instance, snapping the head down from a disbalanced position can cause a takedown. Not much in terms of sprawling and such though.

unstpabl1

I thought points were awarded for certain types of throws in MT? Not like San Shou, but i think its part of the scoring structure. Could be Wrong Though.

anonymous

They also do sweeps, don’t they? I remember I saw a match once (not 100% sure it was Muay Thai, but it was a type of kickboxing), where one guy kept sweeping the other, so much so that that guy’s legs where flying high into the air. He even did a scissor sweep at one point. But those things may not be very practical in the street.

unstpabl1

That sounds more like SAn Shou a recent style of Chinese kb based probably on MT. I think The Chinese started it cause they got tired of their fighters getting their butts handed to them by the Thais. Cung Le is a good one to look up on youtube. He’s the only San Shou name I know, but he’s fum to watch

Guys, this is a big recommendation. Go to youtube and search \”iron mike zambidis\”. There is a greatist hit type thing on his fights. I think you’ll enjoy. I’d do it for you,but i consider it a hi tech computer skill to turn it on. Mike is 5’6\” and always looks like he’s fighting a giant
    mike

kpalena

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

They also do sweeps, don’t they? I remember I saw a match once (not 100% sure it was Muay Thai, but it was a type of kickboxing), where one guy kept sweeping the other, so much so that that guy’s legs where flying high into the air. He even did a scissor sweep at one point. But those things may not be very practical in the street.

With all due respect….

I have used inside sweeps more than once when some fool tried to start something. Once someone is on their ass and you are casually sipping your beer….the confrontation is over.

nick-d

Krav Maga and Muay Thai complement each other very well. At a technique level, the strikes are almost exactly the same. Squared stance, round kick, knees, punch combinations, and elbows are all taught pretty much the same in Muay Thai as they are in KM. if you’ve been doing Muay Thai before starting krav maga you will be way ahead of the curve, even if you’ve only been doing it for a few months. In muay thai, you’ll work on a lot of conditioning of the legs, arms, ribs and abs. Hands are held a little bit higher and there is a lot of absorbing strikes to the body and legs, which creates a more aggressive mindset in that taking a few shots becomes no big deal and allows you to focus on the counter as opposed to the defense.

What you don’t get in muay thai is the self defense techniques. the striking TECHNIQUE that is perfected in muay thai transitions seamlessly into the defenses we learn in KM. You also get the aggressiveness and attacking mentality that is sometimes lost in training that takes into account rules of the ring.

everyone should do both!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: