Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    collegegurl

Hey guys,

I myself am very new to KM although my brother has been training for a few months. I have been considering training for some time now but am a little hesitant because I am a music major at college. I am a little worried that I could injure my hands during training and be out for as much as a semester. I was just wondering if any of you knew of musicians who has success with KM and were able to train without hurting their careers later on. Also, I have recently had some trouble with tendonitis in my hands and wrists, do you guys think that KM would aggravate and cause more damage?

Thanx!

runnergirl

I’m not a musician, but I have a family member who is a professional symphony violinist, so I’m somewhat familiar with the protective measures some musicians take.

I’m a runner and am very protective of my legs in Krav, instructors are generally willing to accomadate special needs in training.

As long as you are careful to learn technique before putting power into the move, and properly wrap your wrists, I don’t think it would be a problem. Hooks are the only thing that hurt my wrists, and that’s because I don’t take the time to line up my wrist and elbow first.

kneeander

collegegurl, I¥ve been playing guitar for about twenty years now, and I¥ve also studied music at M.I. in L.A. I¥ve been training Krav Maga now for three years and I haven¥t injured my fingers yet. Sometimes though, I alter certain techniques to limit the risk of hurting my fingers. Also to be focused at training on what you¥re doing, helps limit injuries.
    About the tendonitis problems you¥ve had, do they have anything to do
    with that you pratice to long without breaks? A lot of my friends who practice
    on their instruments for hours on end, without taking breaks, have this problem to. I¥ve had those same problems before. Now, after three years of krav, my wrists and hands are much stronger and it has actually improved my playing. Remember, stretching your wrists and hands after
    practice is very important. I think you should try a couple of Krav classes, and if anything seems to be to hard on your hands or wrists, just tell the instructor that you can¥t do that drill. But remember, as you will gain strength when you train, you will be able to do things that might have been
    painfull or uncomfertable,(sp.?) before, just start easy and build strength, then I think you will enjoy Krav Maga just as much as I do. There¥s a lot of musicians doing Krav, and still work as musicians.

guerriere

Hi

I play viola but I limit my playing now because of wrist problems. I’ve had tendinitis in my right wrist/arm/shoulder and carpal tunnel in that side too. I have experimented with the hand wraps to come up with a way that supports the wrist. You really only need a layer or two over your first two knuckles (or second two if you play piano 😛 ) so there’s room to play with different ways of wrapping.

If you’re having trouble in general, that’s a bad sign for your career to begin with. Have you seen an orthopedist? Have you considered different techniques, or even *gasp* a different teacher? Do you take frequent practice breaks to avoid overuse?

But back to krav… the main thing that I’ve found painful is holding the pad for a partner who’s practicing the crotch kick. Ask your teacher for help making sure you can handle that, and if you can’t, ask if you can be exempted from that.

On a seminar in Budapest I trained with a French guy who was a professional piano player for 15 years if I remember correctly.

He played for us in a club one evening. If you want to contact him you’d have to ask Eyal Yanilov at http://www.krav-maga.com for contact info.
    He’s an instructor somewhere in France now.

I think training in krav maga for the most part is as stressfull as you make it yourself. Ofcourse the instructor can try to motivate you to punch harder and faster etc. but in the end it’s you who decides how far you go and how much force you apply.

some techniques can be stressfull to your fingers. a soft technique against a bear hug from behind with your arms not caught implies grabbing two fingers and push those backwards. if you do this carefully nothing will happen. if you do this roughly an accident can happen easily.
    you might want to be extra careful with these type of techniques.

In general i think there has to be no problem at all during training.
    just don’t get crazy while you train.

rosie

I’ve played the violin all my life, and even though I’m no longer pursuing it as a career, it’s still an important part of my life and I play as an amateur.

I’ve been in Krav for over a year and so far nothing I’ve done in Krav has impacted my violin hobby, except for cutting into practice time! There’s nothing inherent about Krav that would damage your hands or fingers, as long as you do the techniques correctly.

If you’re going to do Krav, be careful with plucks and being plucked. Just try to keep your fingers from splaying out and you should be ok. I have seen a couple of people get their fingers jammed when doing the pluck kick defense and there have been a couple times when I was attacking with a choke that I thought my partner would hurt my fingers, but it turned out ok, just keep your fingers together.

I’m a bassist. I’ve been training in Krav for about 4 years and never hurt my hands. But you could make the argument that bassists aren’t really musicians :-). I’ve actually never really thought about it.

dannyp

screwed up hands

collegegurl,

I’m a musician too and I’m jammed my fingers 2x in Krav. Both times touching shoulders. My only recommendation is to wear gloves whenever you use your hands to hit or spar. Since then, my hands have been great. The times whenever they were injured, I didn’t wear any protection, thinking it was just a warm up exercise. Boy was I wrong. One injury was for 6 months, and the other 8th. I was able to still play guitar, but I was not very fluid.

kravron

To reiterate what some others have said about the training. Krav workouts will actually make your wrists and hands stronger. Your body will adjust to the workouts and muscle in that area will follow. Who knows it may actually help you decrease the amount of pain you feel from tendonitus (sp).

mara-jade

collegegurl,

I’m a systems analyst and I do alot of typing when I’m developing applications. KM does make your hands and wrists stronger but when it comes to classes like Extreme K.O and KM classes where we do focus mitt work and/or punches, I have no problem wrapping up and/or using gloves.

Even though I just made it to level 3, I will use wraps/gloves as often as needed to protect my hands. 😀 . Our instructors always tell us never feel bad if you want to protect yourself during class. That’s just my 2 cents for what it’s worth. 🙂

saxman314

music

A buddy of mine and I both just graduated from Berklee, and we’ve been doin Krav for a while. Hasn’t gotten in our way. Just be sure to use your wrist wraps! Not just for punches, but for pushups and anything that might strain them. As for a preexisting condition, I’d ask a doctor.

jblackend

I’m a drummer where i use all limbs, i have been doing krav for almost two years and never had any problems with the training and my playing. dont even worry about it and enjoy krav

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: