Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics My first Level 2 class…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    lennykravist

So please tell me you guys were as lost as I was at my first Level 2??? Had my first class earlier this week and still recovering! All kicks and checks, but everything was dynamic. No “defender holds the pad and attacker kicks,” it was more “attacker is kicking either leg and you pad-defend accordingly!” And that’s for starters. I was getting mixed up attacking when I should be defending and vice versa, and absolutely ruining my partner’s flow as well as my own. Ugh. Even with shin guards, you feel the hits. Shin and muscles sore, and my partner was being nice! I just felt so sloppy, floppy and NOOB while everyone else was well experienced and flowing. Clearly a rookie. Sure, I bet with time I’ll become more relaxed and I sure as hell ain’t giving it up. I’ll keep going, keep trying to learn until I won’t be as floppy. But did you guys experience an adjustment period? Or did you guys just jump right in and know what’s up???

don

Re: My first Level 2 class…

Don’t worry about it! It’s good for people to train with different skill levels, abilities, energies, etc! It’s not bad to practice with someone who “fights weird” – e.g. broken rhythm, off timing, awkward movements, uncoordinated or unorthodox attacks/defenses, unpredictable motions, “floppy”, etc. If it was “that” pretty, you’d be ballroom dancing… thumbsup

lennykravist

Thanks, Don. I do appreciate the insight. I know I’ll get used to it in time. Level 1 didn’t come easy for me when I first started, after all! I’ll have fun taking my bumps! Thanks again! :beer:

magpie

So far I’ve been lucky with my L2 classes (I’ve only done 2 so far) because my instructor also taught some of my L1 classes, so I was familiar with his instructional style. This instructor occasionally would teach L2 techniques to his L1 students, as kind of a “preview” for things to come.

There were also a couple of other noob L2s in my classes, so I think the instructor purposely kept things simple so we wouldn’t be overwhelmed. We covered bobbing/weaving, inside defense/counter, hook/uppercut combos…all pretty familiar stuff. He did, however, teach us a couple of cavaliers, so that was pretty cool.

I haven’t used my shinguards yet, but I’m sure it’ll be pretty interesting, to say the least.

Hoping to start doing two L2 classes/week, with maybe an L1 in between in order to keep honing the basics, if my schedule permits.

Hang in there, LK! I’m right there with ya.

lennykravist

quote Magpie:

So far I’ve been lucky with my L2 classes (I’ve only done 2 so far) because my instructor also taught some of my L1 classes, so I was familiar with his instructional style. This instructor occasionally would teach L2 techniques to his L1 students, as kind of a “preview” for things to come.

There were also a couple of other noob L2s in my classes, so I think the instructor purposely kept things simple so we wouldn’t be overwhelmed. We covered bobbing/weaving, inside defense/counter, hook/uppercut combos…all pretty familiar stuff. He did, however, teach us a couple of cavaliers, so that was pretty cool.

I haven’t used my shinguards yet, but I’m sure it’ll be pretty interesting, to say the least.

Hoping to start doing two L2 classes/week, with maybe an L1 in between in order to keep honing the basics, if my schedule permits.

Hang in there, LK! I’m right there with ya.

Thanks Magpie and Don. I think the part of my initial rant I forgot to mention was that I stacked the classes on my first Level 2 day (Level 1 followed immediately by Level 2) so I was in no way prepared. Got gassed surprisingly quickly! If I’m going to stack, I’ll do Level 2 then Level 1. So tonight I’ll start with a Level 2, where my focus can be since it’s all new, then follow up with a Level 1 class. Like you, my goal is Level 2 classes at least twice a week, but stacking them by taking a Level 1 afterwards. 2 straight hours of Krav 2-3 times a week? Sign me up! I’ll just keep on keepin’ on! I’ll settle into it, I’m sure, and I won’t be such a scrub anymore!

Thank you both for the encouragement! One of many reasons I love coming to this forum!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I find taking L2 classes to be one of the most fun depending on who’s teaching. I actually TAKE them. Its a great high paced work out. Just like when you started level 1 it took a little time to acclimate, your body will catch up!

Enjoy your training guys~

magpie

Stacking classes? You go, LK! My schedule doesn’t permit me to do that. I doubt I’d have the stamina to go that distance, either.

lennykravist

quote Magpie:

Stacking classes? You go, LK! My schedule doesn’t permit me to do that. I doubt I’d have the stamina to go that distance, either.

Yeah it’s actually pretty common at my school for the advanced students to stack. Not just the Levels, but also with the fitness and bag classes too! I told myself once I passed my Level 1 that I’d do the same. But instead I’ll start with Level 2 first, get that focus done then finish with Level 1. I didn’t think I’d have the stamina either, but I know I’ll adjust! Understood on the schedule though. I’m lucky I have that kind of time.

quote CJs Dad:

I find taking L2 classes to be one of the most fun depending on who’s teaching. I actually TAKE them. Its a great high paced work out. Just like when you started level 1 it took a little time to acclimate, your body will catch up!

Enjoy your training guys~

One thing I told myself is just because I passed Level 1, I’m not going to stop taking Level 1 classes because I can always get better at the basics. So now since I’m going to begin stacking, I’ll pace myself better until I’m conditioned to go hard in both classes. You’re right, my mind and body will catch up!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: