Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge My first MMA experience

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    edmundich

I want to share my experience in MMA. As i mentioned in previous thread I am level 1 Krav student, have been taking Krav for about 6 month now. I have also done a year of boxing when i was 10. 2 days ago I decided to experience something different and went to MMA class. I asked my instructor if it was “OK” for me to go there and he said that it’s an open class. First thing I noticed was that all four students in a class were experienced Krav fighter: 2 were level 3, level 4 and level 5. Warm up was to do light full contact striking and blocking. I think i was doing fairy well until I failed to block a punch and I was hit right in the eye. The pain was unimaginable, i almost went blind for 15 min. After a little while the pain became easier and tolerable and I went back to class. Naturally, I was hit several more times. Long story short, after the class I spent 4 hours in emergency with cornea scratch. When I told this story to a friend of mine, experienced jujitsu fighter, he laughed at me and said that it was insane to go to MMA without a solid experience in either jujitsu (2 years+) or Krav or Muy Thai. So i recommend people who are going to go to MMA class, make sure you are prepared :). Or may be it was my bad luck. I don’t know. What do you think?

jernstad

Re: My first MMA experience

Accidents happen, but it also sounds like your instructor didn’t do a very good job controlling the class. If no one was wearing gloves and headgear, which is what it sounds like, they had no business allowing you to even set foot in this class.

mara-jade

Dang – hope your eye gets better. In our classes with sparring we always wear gear. Being an open class, I would expect some type gear protection for the benefit of everyone, seeing how it’s mixed levels.

dkatman

Man! Sorry to hear that.

I know I have taken intro to fight. That might have been a better place to start. If the idea of fight interests you still, you may want to have a look there.

It is a much slower start into getting to an MMA class. It builds well on the experience you are already gaining in KM and taking it to a fighting mentality as opposed to defense and counter mentality. You might like it. And it is much safer to begin.

Just the same, thanks for sharing your experience. It could really help someone else ease into things or keep a heads up as they go for it.

Dave

quote DKatman:

Man! Sorry to hear that.

I know I have taken intro to fight. That might have been a better place to start. If the idea of fight interests you still, you may want to have a look there.

It is a much slower start into getting to an MMA class. It builds well on the experience you are already gaining in KM and taking it to a fighting mentality as opposed to defense and counter mentality. You might like it. And it is much safer to begin.

Just the same, thanks for sharing your experience. It could really help someone else ease into things or keep a heads up as they go for it.

Dave

coming from a guy who i couldnt’ get into a mma class even if i paid him…

nate

I’m going to echo what Dave said and recommend to take an intro fight class next time you feel ready. Jumping straight into an MMA / Fight class without prior experience (at least recently) can prove difficult.

I’ve gotten gacked in the eye before doing light sparring, but usually it was on accident by my partner. If you’re doing light sparring, it should be with loose, semi open fists and possibly not even at full speed. You getting a cornea scratch and blinded for 15 minutes sounds pretty nuts. Usually if you’ve got a partner who’s experienced and sees you’re green, he’ll lower his intensity to your level (hopefully).

Hopefully your eye heals quick and you can get back into it.

safetyal

Were you wearing any protective equipment? Sounds like at the very least you should have had a mouthpiece and headgear.

clfmak

I think its good to get really comfortable getting punched with boxing gloves before dealing with bareknuckle strikes (at least to the face, for body punches its not as bad). I used to spar with some guys from the highschool near my house- I saw them sparring one day and joined them. They wouldn’t wear gloves and would spar at a fairly light intensity. I noticed that sparring that way makes for some flinchy movement and a fear of being hit (and a fear to hit others hard). I would wear my kempo gloves, headgear, shin guards and mouthpiece. Eventually I convinced them all to get gloves and mouthpieces.

kirsten

hmm.. was it a Krav Maga Fight class or an MMA class?

Mouthguards, some sort of gloves and at the very least grappling shinguards are a must, and a cup for the boys. The rest should be optional… we don’t have a single student that wears a headgear. But if a headgear is what it takes for you to get in there and go, then wear it. I would echo the earlier advice to take an intro class or some private lessons first. Don’t stop whatever you do… hang in there and keep trying.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: