Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics My instructor is leaving any advice on another style to take?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    happyloaf

I train at a school that mostly teaches TKD and has a krav class at night. I don’t do TKD and have no interest in it. The instructor who teaches our krav class is great and has been teaching us thai boxing and BJJ in our fight class. He is great but him and his wife have decided to go to a different area and we are getting a new instructor.

The school chain I train at is not noted for being very reputable with its krav training (search Karate America on this board) and I am afraid the new instructor will not be as good or will teach a watered down version of krav (as was taught at this school prior to the current instructors). My contract is up at the same time my old instructors are leaving and I don’t want to sign a year long agreement in case I do not like my new instructor and there are no other krav schools in the area (probably because Karate America has a license for the area).

Does anyone have any advice on other styles to take that train hard and focus on real world tactics like krav?

PS. I am trying to see if I can get a one month membership to see if I like the new instructor but I have had to negotiate hard to get a 5 month contract instead of a year contract before and doubt they will do a one month deal.

aviatordave

Re: My instructor is leaving any advice on another style to take?

I don’t know about Florida, but it may be similar to Texas in that you have 3 days to break a contract like that without penalty. See if you can time it right so you at least get a class or two with the new instructor. Or just wait until he starts and show up one night and just observe the class.

At least give them a chance, you may like them as much as the other one.

happyloaf

I figured I would give the new guy a chance but I don’t want to get shoehorned into a contract for a new instructor I might not like. I think since I’ve been training here over a year and half that I should have the option of getting a one month trial contract extension to see if I want to stay at the school or not.

If they don’t offer that then I will have to sadly take my business elsewhere. I don’t want to be an ass about it but I don’t want to pay for 5 months of training that I will not enjoy and won’t benefit me.

garddawg

Negotiate. Ask the owner/manager to explain the up side to you, the client, of a contract. There generally aren’t any.

dckm

if you are considering another style in case the new instructor isn’t up to par i’d recommend arnis/kali which is a filipino martial art. it’s very practical and useful. i’m seriously thinking about taking it in addition to krav maga.
    muay thai is good too.

happyloaf

We don’t have Kali locally sadly and no dedicated muay thai. Just kickboxing that doesn’t focus on competition self defense and fighting; it is mostly a cardio class with some light sparring. We have a ton of TKD and traditional schools which I’m not that interested in because I have spent 3 years training in a traditional style before and it wasn’t for me.

I have heard of an MMA gym about 20 min away but can’t find any information about it on the webs so I think I might take a drive next week.

dckm

quote Happyloaf:

We don’t have Kali locally sadly and no dedicated muay thai. Just kickboxing that doesn’t focus on competition self defense and fighting; it is mostly a cardio class with some light sparring. We have a ton of TKD and traditional schools which I’m not that interested in because I have spent 3 years training in a traditional style before and it wasn’t for me.

I have heard of an MMA gym about 20 min away but can’t find any information about it on the webs so I think I might take a drive next week.

i can dig it. my km school is 23 miles from my house.
    are there any boxing gyms nearby? boxing’s pretty effective for self defense also.

wyatt9696

how far is boca raton or coral springs from you? Frontline Krav Maga has locations in both these spots. Rick Seid runs both these locations. do a search for frontline krav maga and you can get some info regarding his programs. He is a top notch instructor. He is not a KMWW school though. I have trained with him and can attest to his knowledge of Israeli Krav Maga. Since this is a KMWW forum, all i can say is that if there is not a reputable krav worldwide school near you, Rick’s programs would be an outstanding alternative for you. good luck.

rustyt22

Happyloaf-
    I am in the same position and found your post while searching an answer to the same question. I also train here in Gville and it sucks that the Alfaros are leaving. They are great. They did allow me and my wife a month membership extension to decide if the new instructors schedule will work with ours and if we like his teaching style. They should do the same for you I would imagine…

As far as training, Ive been told about training in Jonesville, but have been warned that it isn’t as good of a workout as Krav was and is more just MMA fighting instruction than real life self defense.

Please let me know if you find something and I will do the same for you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: