Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    jarett

Would regularly performing neck stretches and/or exercises help reduce one’s susceptibility to neck cranks?

nixxon

Re: Neck Cranks

Doubt it, neck muscles are not really designed for strength in that context. They are a small connective muscle group. If somone is cranking on your neck they are recruiting bicep, shoulder, back muscles against your neck. Who’s utilizing more power?

The attacker.

Best way to avoid a neck crank is to protect yourself against anyone getting close to your neck. If they do then use combatives. Groin, eyes, throat, pressure points. IMO a neck crank in a fight is a fight easily won from my perspective. It leaves them open for pretty much anything.

jarett

K, got it. Thanks!

clfmak

quote Nixxon:

Best way to avoid a neck crank is to protect yourself against anyone getting close to your neck. If they do then use combatives. Groin, eyes, throat, pressure points. IMO a neck crank in a fight is a fight easily won from my perspective. It leaves them open for pretty much anything.

If they know how to do a proper neck crank, its a fight easilly one from their perspective.

nixxon

How so? Maybe I’m not thinking of the correct position when I’m thinking of a neck crank. Can you explain the choreography?

clfmak

There’s lots of ways to do neck cranks, and a lot of them don’t give you the option of striking them to escape. One example is the crucifix neck crank, done here by Rickson Gracie applying 600lbs of force to the neck:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T82QDpy2DEo
    Hardly easilly won by the defender with both arms trapped and the neck being wrenched with hundreds of pounds of strain.
    Here’s another one from Carl Cestari’s material:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipKxGNH7y8
    That one appears a lot in silat as a takedown. Only one hand is free to attack, and its not in a position where it can do anything fight stopping. Here’s another:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eX3CPNBtfc
    Neck crank as don in catch wrestling (one of the guys I train with learned this in dumog and uses it with good success). Again, no opportunity to use your hands to counter.

nixxon

Gah, no youtube on my work computer but I’ll look @ it when I get home.

nixxon

quote CLFMak:

There’s lots of ways to do neck cranks, and a lot of them don’t give you the option of striking them to escape. One example is the crucifix neck crank, done here by Rickson Gracie applying 600lbs of force to the neck:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T82QDpy2DEo
    Hardly easilly won by the defender with both arms trapped and the neck being wrenched with hundreds of pounds of strain.
    Here’s another one from Carl Cestari’s material:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipKxGNH7y8
    That one appears a lot in silat as a takedown. Only one hand is free to attack, and its not in a position where it can do anything fight stopping. Here’s another:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eX3CPNBtfc
    Neck crank as don in catch wrestling (one of the guys I train with learned this in dumog and uses it with good success). Again, no opportunity to use your hands to counter.

Crucifix- Wats to keep you from using the trapped arm in the legs from elbowing the groin?
    Silat- Groin exposed again. It only takes 1 hand to grab, twist and rip.
    Catch Wrestling- He obviously has 1 hand free to tap, whats to keep him from gouging his opponents eye, ripping his ear, elbowing down on the groin?

Also keep in mind that GETTING that those positions with somone using strikes as a defense is kind of unlikely…. nobody is going to bear hug me or wrestle me to the ground without giving something up on the way down and once down there, and on my back if they didn’t disengage I would immedietly go for something pretty brutal and not give them a chance to grab up my head/neck/face

clfmak

Crucifix- there really shouldn’t be enough space to hit the groin hard enough to effect a release.
    Silat- When I do this I like to grab their free arm with my free arm. It protects against potential arm flailing and can make it easier to pull them through to a takedown.
    Catch- the hand can’t reach the eyes, ear etc and can’t use any real power except for grip strength, and the groin is not available to be elbowed, because of the hip angle and the pressure on the body (and really the arm shouldn’t be able to articulate that far down).

nixxon

I still hold told my last statement in the above post. Getting into that position in a self defense situation is highly unlikely.

clfmak

The standing one is about as easy to get as a headlock, which comes up a whole lot, but very few people will go for it.

nixxon

quote CLFMak:

The standing one is about as easy to get as a headlock, which comes up a whole lot, but very few people will go for it.

If any fight ends up in a headlock for anyone who knows a little about what they are doing that is going to be a fight well won for the person in it.

clfmak

I would agree with the statement that the neck cranks aren’t something that are worth training if you are only interested in self defense, because most people don’t know how to do them well. However, like many submissions, they are very hard to escape from, and if the person is a good grappler they can use superior distancing and timing to achieve them against someone who is trying to punch, kick etc.

rick-prado

quote Nixxon:

If any fight ends up in a headlock for anyone who knows a little about what they are doing that is going to be a fight well won for the person in it.

Obviously, you are convinced that they cannot work, making it difficult to try and change your mind.

They do work, if properly applied. The amount of force on the neck, face, and the blood loss to the brain is sometimes immediate, causing a variety of things to happen to you, making your defenses very difficult.

Even if you don’t get the naked choke for example, you can go into a face bar, forearm across the jaw, across the nose, while kicking out the opponents knees. A face bar across the nose is very painful, causing your eyes to tear up, distorting your vision, making your life very difficult.

Just like arm locks and joint manipulations, they are usually more effective after a strike.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Ohh I don’t know, I’d take that bet. In fact if La Rev see’s this post he can attest to how often I get people in that situation in multiple attacker drills. I feel very comfortable using free standing neck cranks as head control to stack people.

Free standing guillotines and figure fours are my friend. – but then again I’m not normal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: