Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Need help with "turning in" with combatives

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    magpie

Some of you have heard me refer to myself as a ‘spastic monkey’ in my classes. It dawned on me after class last night that I feel this way because I’m not happy with the way I “turn in” to an attacker to deliver combatives. I think I send the knee strikes well enough, but have problems following them up with other kinds of strikes. I usually follow the knees up with elbow #7 to the back of my ‘attacker’s’ head, but then the rest of it kinda falls apart. I don’t think I’m delivering “good strikes to good targets” as one of my instructors says.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can best improve this part of my training?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Need help with "turning in" with combatives

Kind of hard to say without watching you but I’ll give it a shot.

When you do the technique without a partner do you have the same issue.

Are you stepping too far in to do the elbow and then feel jammed?

Are you circling too far to the outside after the elbow and the only target you see is the shoulder/side? (so you don’t see any targets of opportunity)

Honestly it sounds like footwork is not placing you in a position to see a new target after the elbow.

Lets try and switch things up a little then;

Knee, Knee, kick to the groin, make space

Knee, Knee, Shin to the face

Knee, Knee, elbow #1 to face

Knee, Knee, straight right or straight left to face

Knee, knee, circle around behind and front kick to groin from behind.

After you do the initial technique addressing the immediate danger its game on your attacking the attacker. You can hammer fist 10 times if you want, but this is where all those level one classes hitting the pads comes into play.

If one things not working, there should be a lot of tools in your box by now, so try some new ones!

Hope that helps.

S.

magpie

quote CJs Dad:

Are you stepping too far in to do the elbow and then feel jammed? YES

Honestly it sounds like footwork is not placing you in a position to see a new target after the elbow. YES

Lets try and switch things up a little then;

Knee, Knee, kick to the groin, make space (have tried this, but not executed well because of positioning.)

Knee, Knee, Shin to the face (Hmm…never thought about this one)

Knee, Knee, elbow #1 to face (I’ve done this)

Knee, Knee, straight right or straight left to face (feel jammed for this)

Knee, knee, circle around behind and front kick to groin from behind. (would like to try this. Have seen it done, but don’t circle around far enough).

If one things not working, there should be a lot of tools in your box by now, so try some new ones!

Hope that helps.

S.

Good stuff. Thanks! I will pay more attention to my footwork and see what I can do.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

You could always drive over the hill and take my class, I don’t bite 😉

maddogmean

It always seems like I have a “go to” set of combatives that I use after defending an attack. Usually it’s knee, groin kick, push their head down to hammer fist to the back of the head. I know that this isn’t very realistic because openings and opportunities will vary.

When attacking my partner, I ask if I could resist a little. If they’re throwing a lot of knees, I’ll start to block them to force them to look for another opening. If they keep throwing head strikes, I’ll turtle up to force them to look for lower targets. Body shots, groin kicks…or move to a better position.

I then ask my partner to do the same for me. It really helped me to break away from that goto move.

magpie

CJD…when are your classes? I have wanted to try some classes at SO but timing is always the problem. I would be coming up the 405 at rush hour and we both know that ain’t no picnic.

magpie

Good notion, MDM. I may have to try that, too.

kevinmack

slow work and marking targets

quote KevinMack:

slow work and marking targets

I think this is a good mantra. Work slow, practice making strikes, work through what happens if your strike works and you can move on to the next strike, and then work through what happens if your strike doesn’t have the intended effect, is intercepted, blocked, or you are counterattacked.
    I personally like to think about making my opponent not only vulnerable to my strikes, but to the environment as well. If you can control the pace of the conflict, you can get the environment to help you end it; don’t limit your thinking to just striking your opponent. Sometimes a simple push in the right direction is all that is required.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: