Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Nervous about Krav Maga.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mcg

Well I am new to the whole thing. Have not actually signed up yet.
    The other day I was passing by the Krav Maga training center
    in Livermore. I noticed everyone in the class was probably taller
    than 6 foot and totally ripped.

I’ve been interested in signing up for quite awhile, but I’m
    a 5’5, 130 pound 18 year old guy.

I guess I felt pretty intimidated.

is my size an issue?

bulb98930

Re: Nervous about Krav Maga.

You shouldn’t be I’m 5’4″ and used to be the only girl for the first month or so I started (July)…most of the people at my class train hard and have fun. You should give it a try, most places give you a trial class to decide if you want to continue

don

quote Mcg:

is my size an issue?

Size matters – but it’s not everything. You should not let your physical stature stop you from training! Sigung Bruce was not much bigger than you. There are a LOT of professional muay thai fighters in Thailand around your size. Also, look at the 145 weight classes in MMA competition!

I’ve got a buddy whom I’ve never tapped out in BJJ. He’s tapped me out plenty. And I’ve got maybe an inch or two and 50 lbs on him!

There are always going to be guys out there who can eat my lunch. The more I train, the less of them there will be… As I’ve said before, if you never take that first step, you’ll never get any better…

sdkraver

quote Mcg:

is my size an issue?

Your size will be a factor, but it shouldn’t be a deal killer. Every time I get intimidated by a big and strong student, I get inspired by the 90# females in our class.

The way I see it, it’s a privilege when I get to work with bigger and stronger people, I’m the one getting the more rigorous training at that point.

jesse

Don’t be intimidated at all. I normally try to find the biggest guy in the class that night and pick him for a partner. Sometimes it doesn’t work out, but I know it helps me with my intensity (I’m 5′ 9″). The biggest so far was a 6′ 3″ or 4″ heavyweight that probably outweighed me by about 120lbs. I’ll admit that it had to have been a bit funny to anyone else watching that night and he probably was chuckling a bit, but I stuck it to him as much as I could. 😛 The street has no weight classes.

silas

I agree don’t let your size be an issue, in fact because you’re smaller is all the more reason you should train since you will need the skill and confidence to see past the size issue, there are no weight classes on the street. I’m 6ft 200 pounds, but i prefer to work out with a guy in my class who is 6’10 and heavy muscle specifically because his size is intimidating and a challenge (guy push kicks me like 5 feet back, and when i kick him it feels like kicking a wall). But also in our class there are a couple normal soccer moms, a girl who i think is only 16, and a guy i swer is almost 70 (who makes me work all the harder because he’s twice my age but always ahead of me on the excercises). So just go for it and consider the size stuff just one of many challlenges to better yourself, and think about great it will feel when a guys size wont be enough to intimidate you.

Damn, lol, i started writing my post at 6:30am in between work stuff, guess i took to long to post “there are no weight classes on the street.” hehe oh well, sorry Jesse wasnt trying to steel your lines.

tinykrav

A room full of 6 foot tall, totally ripped men??? Where did you say this class is?!?!?! rofl2 (I couldn’t help myself, I had to ask.)

I won’t tell you what I weigh because then I’ll really get hassled (it’s more than 90 lbs!!!!) but let’s just say I’ve been told I look like Mickey Mouse with my boxing gloves on. I’m usually the smallest one in the room unless someone happens to bring their little kid that day.

Don’t worry about your size in Krav Maga, if there’s a drill where you really need to be paired with someone who’s close to your size the instructor should tell you. One of the things I love dearly about Krav is that I can perform defenses that everybody else does because it’s not based entirely on size.

I NEVER tire of the looks on some new guy’s face when we’re doing random choke defenses and they’re surprised when the pluck really does work and “Mickey Mouse” blasts their hands off her throat. It’s so cool, that sometimes I make the mistake of wanting to stand there and savor it. ha ha!!

jd-allen

I recently signed up after 5 yrs of “interest”. Not until recently did I have a location in my area to train but I stayed intigued from a distance. I told myself I was going to do this when I had the chance and when I relocated due to my job, there was a training center in town. One fateful night I walked in.

Don’t let what you perceive as a limitation define who you are like I did. I’m now 41 yrs old and about 40lbs overweight. I used to be described as 6’4″ and fit, but now it’s 6’4″ and fat. But like Darius Rucker says…” it won’t be like this for long”…

After just a few classes;insanely intense classes; I’m kicking myself for not getting in sooner. Oftentimes my body wants to quit but my mind won’t let it. The competitor and athlete in me apperently hasn’t died.

My humble advice is : Do it, you’ll love it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: