Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums New Guy in Tulsa with some questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ca180

Hello everyone! Great looking forum you all have here.

My name is Stephen and I’m out here in the middle of BFE in Tulsa, OK.

I must admit though, I currently have had no KM training. This is where my questions come in.

Is there in good KM reading, video, or online material that anyone would recommend for a beginner? Currently I work a full time job, go to college full time (2nd year for mechanical engineering), and I’m married. This summer my interest in KM grew greatly, but after looking at my schedule for school next semester I realize that time is something I do not have. So that is what I’m want the available information for. I’m sure that a “martial art” such as KM is one that could be almost impossible for someone to teach themselves, but I hope that some self learning prior to actual classes could help me out.

And secondly, my wife is a first degree black belt in Tae Kwan Do but she had to stop her training because of school nearly three years ago. She finally graduated last month and was wanting to get back into it. I honestly wanted her to train in something that was a little more “street friendly” rofl2, but she loved the competitions. Are there any KM competitions so to speak, or is that something that could end in death?

Anyhow, sorry for my long winded first post. Hopefully someone will be willing to read through it and point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

kirsten

Re: New Guy in Tulsa with some questions

Welcome!

Well we don’t have competitions in Krav Maga. I also started out in TKD and I am a 3rd degree black belt that competed in all levels, including Olympic trials. Then I realized if an attacker shoved me to the ground and starting punching me, I had zero skills to defend myself. All that breaking boards and bricks would be pretty useless… but it was hard to let that go at first and it scares some black belts from other systems to have to “start all over again”… Perhaps when she watches you train she will change her mind.

As for prepping your training in Krav Maga, I suggest you get two things. First the Krav Maga video collection and secondly the Krav Maga book that John Whitman wrote. You will benefit greatly from both. Also, find a training center near you and find out what seminars they have coming up for beginners. You can purchase all of this online in the pro-shop section of this website.

Good luck with your training.

mara-jade

Welcome Stephen!

I see Kirsten helped ya out. I don’t mind at all there are no competitions in KM. Competitions – those typically have rules. Out in the street there ARE NO RULES. The KM book and the videos are a great place to start. Hopefully you can train at a center to your techniques tweaked. Nothing replaces training in the classroom and working with different students.

I only saw 1 school in Tulsa
    https://kravmaga.com/oklahoma.asp

Best wishes on your training:wav:

kmtakinkm

Ca 180 – Come to our school. Kent Stockstill operates it and his new location is on 3rd street between Lansing and Kenosha. It about 100 yards to the west of Lansing on 3rd. The building is oin the north side of the street and has a pink paint job as the last owner had a pet emporium and fixing inside is more important that painting right now – but the joke potential is great.. to a point hahah!!!

Not sure where your coming from but take the 1st Street exit off of I -244 take the first left onto Lansing (it sneaks up on you so be aware) go two blocks; turn right on 3rd and look right. Here is a googel map link. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

He is a fire fighter and works 24 hrs on, 48 off (no classes on Fri ever). Call Kent on his cell phone at (918) 402-5300. He can explain more and give you exact directions to the location and tell you the training days. By the way Kent has a TKD background (4th degree I think) so he has insight.

There is some additional information on the “Krav in Tulsa” Thread in this section
    (Locations).

Mara – The link for Kent’s school is out of date. He has not taken the time to update the location so the above directions can be used to get one to the class. I will have the address soon and will post it. In the mean time call his cell.

ca180

Thanks everyone for the big welcome!

KMtakinKM & Mara, I did see that training facility that is close to me. I wish that I actually had the time to go.

I will call Kent and see what the story is. I’m pretty stoked to get going. Hopefully I can find some time between work and school.

Anyhow, in the meantime I will check out the material Kirsten directed me towards.

Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: