Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books new guy, left arm, right leg dominant.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dunc

hello all.

i’m only 2 classes in, and loving it, (might not last of course), and consider myself an unmoulded blob of jelly.

Does anybody have any experience or advice to offer me on how to use my lefthandedness, and rightfootedness to its best potential, given that i currently know nothing anyway.

so far, i’m just switching things around for the hell of it, but i don’t want to confuse myself if i ever need this stuff. (hopefully never.)

for the record, i naturally go to a left-handed stance fighting, and right-handed stance surfing, cricket etc.

thank you in advance,

duncan.

leejam99

Re: new guy, left arm, right leg dominant.

thats opposite of me. I’m right handed but i surf, skate, snowboard with my right foot forward. My fight stance is normal with my left leg forward.

I would say that the best scenario would be to train both ways so that you have equal power, speed, etc in both stance but it will get a bit confusing during training.

With that said.. for your fight stance, stick with which ever feels the most comfortable and start from there. When you train, i would always start from that stance and learn the technique. once you got it down, switch and work the other side.

hope that helps. Welcome to Krav Maga!

dukiejf

I have different dominances in feet and hands as well. I’m left handed and right footed, and use a left-handed fighting stance. I guess it throws some guys off in stand-up sparring (most of my training is now kickboxing — no KM around), and opens up some possibilities. I like the idea of training both ways. When I’m fighting the “correct” way, I have my strong hand in the lead, and I’ve surprised more than a few people with a nasty jab. They expect the power to come out of a cross, so it throws them. Embrace your unconventionalness, dude.

dunc

thank you for the responses chaps.

so its settled then, stick to the Glaswegian Kiss.
    (Head Butt)

all the best

dunc

“me
    we”

worlds shortest poem.
    by m. ali
    a heavyweight boxer of some renkown.

brentw

Looks like there’s a lot of us. I’m mostly right handed but left footed (goofy foot.) I approach it like this – unless you’ve played soccer for a living it will be easier to retrain your feet than it will be to retrain your hands. It does give you a leg up later though (pardon the pun) when you start doing this from both sides.

jl

Like Brent, I am right handed and left footed. I use this to my advantage when sparring and practicing technique. I have been involved in KM several years and have concentrated on making sure I use both sides while training. When I go to the southpaw (right foot lead) side my kicks are a little faster and a bit more powerful, from the rear(left) foot . Which gives me a small advantage. But I will tell you what I tell all newer students. Make sure to train both sides. You may not get equalization in each stance but you will most assuredly be better on the weak side by continuing to train that side as much as the strong side. I hope these tidbits of knowledge helps you. JL

clfmak

I find it most comfortable to do side and round kicks off my left and front kicks off my right and I’m right handed, so the left lead works well for me.

dunc

thank you to you all for the replies.

I’m going for the “use both” technique, as it has the added advantage of giving each side a bit of a breather when i switch to the other.

still working up my fitness and stamina, i can now be seen goose-stepping through the whitewater on venice beach with my board. silly, but fun.

however, I’m sure that in a real fight, fear factor set to 10 and all that, i’ll instinctively go LH stance. Until i’m much better trained that is.

anyway, thanks again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: