Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    donkey

This is my first post and I’m considering getting into some kind of martial arts classes. a good friend of mine who’s practiced quite a few different martial arts(BJJ, aikido, hapkido, kickboxing, TKD, kali and shotokan karate) says I should get into BJJ but I went to check out some krav classes yesterday and liked what I saw also.

I practiced TKD when I was in middle school for a year or so and grew up in a rough neighborhood so I’ve had some instruction from the school of hard knocks.

here is what I’ve seen so far from my one visit

krav pros for me

very practical for real life situations
    schedule fits mine perfectly
    the girls are hot there! 8)

cons

brutal (I work outside and an injury to my legs could cost me my job)
    it’s 45min away from me
    not very much grappling/groundfighting technique taught

BJJ pros

focuses on grappling, where i don’t have much skill
    classes are closer and cheaper
    comes recommended from someone who I’ve seen fight and is one bad dude

cons

little standup/striking
    no girls in the class

tomorrow I’m going to go watch the krav and BJJ classes again, read some opinions here and try to make a decision sometime this week.

anonymous

If you can, I’d say take both BJJ and Krav Maga. Krav for the stand-up, weapons and street defenses, BJJ for the ground. If you can take only one, maybe Krav Maga would be better for most self-defense situations, especially if they involve a weapon.

I really don’t think you’d want to base your decision on how many \”hot girls\” are in the class. You should come for the fighting and then impress the girls later with your newly learned fighting skills! 😉

donkey

In all seriousness though, girls aren’t a factor in my decision. I guess humor is hard to pass through the internet.

I just got promoted to a much less physically demanding job(still outside) and want to keep from getting fat and lazy while learning something useful at the same time.

Fighting to impress girls isn’t something I’m into either, I’m a nice guy and try to avoid trouble as much as I can.

alny1

😛 GO FOR THE HOT GIRLS , AND LET THEM TEACH YOU SOME GROUND FIGHTING

la-revancha

Perhaps you should inquire to see if BJJ or some sort of grappling system is taught at the KM site. Some schools offer both, and that way you receive all your training under one roof.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

andre

DonKey, what’s your ultimate goal, Self-protection, or sport. From what I gathered, you want more SP then you do sport applications. If I’m right, then do the Krav.

donkey

La Revancha

I think they only offer KM at that facility but I’m going to go watch another class today and I’ll ask.

Andre

I want both but I figure if I get into a defense oriented MA then the fitness/sport aspect will come along with it.

andre

If the Self Protection class is truly Self Protection, you won’t wont be training sport applicable tools. The different classes require different tools. They all go in your power tool box, but they all serve different purposes.

So if your learning Uma Plata, while they are cool 8) , they aren’t SD oriented, and vica versa.

topitbull

Learn KM first,

Nothing is more important then striking basics, also the KM philosophy alone will help you a lot.

Get your stand up game down pat, then supplement ground fighting with BJJ.

Our class has got some real hotties, while this shouldn’t affect your decision, it surely helps you find motivation to go to class when your under the weather!

donkey

I’ve had a chance to visit several classes in the area and had to go with BJJ. the instructor is awesome, the training is hardcore and the classes are small so everyone gets the instruction they need.

also it’s only 5 min from the house as opposed to 45 – 1hour+ this was a major factor since classes would start at the tail end of rush hour in a huge city. I’d have very little excuse not to go train.

I’d still love to give krav a try but it’s just not practical at this point in time for me. My standup game is much better than my ground game and once I start getting the hang of BJJ I’ll definitely be looking into krav again to keep things balanced.

BTW there are no females in this class 😥

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: