Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Welcome Forums New Member in San Antonio

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sheisa

Hi! Im new to Krav and fairly new to San Antonio (2 years). Used to live in NYC and box but injured my shoulder permanently so quit. After moving to San Antonio and gaining 25 pounds, I decided to try KM and hope my shoulder holds out enough to actually be good at this.

I am doing Krav at Pete’s place. Classes are excellent. Im looking forward to getting more input from all of you. I must be honest the yellow belt test seems abit intimidating. I wonder if I will ever get there. Its worth a shot!:wav:

mara-jade

Re: New Member in San Antonio

Hi Sheisa!

Testing can be intimidating but you won’t know till you try, you know? Hubby’s and my test was 5 hours. I won’t lie – I was scared but dangit that was THE best kick a$$ test I ever had. I WILL say this as I say it to myself now. IT”S NOT A RACE TO GET A BELT. Don’t worry about who’s ahead of you. It doesn’t matter. You’re the one taking the test.

Hubby and I have had things get in the way of us taking our Level 3, but I won’t stop going because of it. No pain, no gain:D:

You know Pete’s place is moving in January? The place is supposed to be HUGE. I can’t wait:wav:

Oh once you get going, consider taking Women’s Fight Class – it kicks butt!

Take care!

sheisa

I thought Women Fight looked interesting. Now if I can get this weight off… Rome wasnt built in a day.

mara-jade

I’ll put it to you this way – I’ve missed ONE class the whole time and only cause I was sick. I LOVE IT that much.

It’s at a perfect pace so you can get the techniques down and don’t feel rushed. Sparring’s part of the belt test starting from Level 2 up. You wouldn’t have to worry about it per se for awhile yet but hey, why not start?:wav:

jesse

Welcome aboard the board. It’s always a balance between pushing yourself like crazy and making sure you don’t injure yourself to the point where you lose training time. Work hard on your cardio and consider using some weights to exercise your good arm and shoulder. I’m a big fan of bodyweight exercises due to my small apartment and smaller finances, but free weights and exercise machines will allow you to zero in on specific muscles and work out around your actual injury. Ie… Instead of pushups you could use dumbell extensions, dumbell fly’s, dumbell curls with your good arm. If your school doesn’t have a weight bench, then check out http://www.craigslist.org for cheapo deals in your area. I’m glad to hear that you’re getting into krav, and I’m sure you won’t regret it.

Disabilities are simply challenges to your creativity.

Jesse

sheisa

Jesse, I cannot do flyes but I can pretty much do the other things. I’m trying to find a balance of KM classes and the cardio. I did two classes back to back and boy I was hurting the next day.

Mara, I wish I could go everyday. Wednesdays I cant go because I work with teens. But every other day since I joined, I have gone to at least one class. I havent ventured back to my old gym in SA since I started. With work and family, its hard to find the time.

I would love Dh to try it as well. But he is a very large guy and is afraid it would be too much at this point.

mara-jade

You do need gloves and such for Fight Class. It really depends what we’re doing that day as to how much gear you need. At times it may be just drills with focus mitts and some sparring or mixed.

I speak from experience – KM ROCKS for marriage therapyrofl2. A couple of times I was pissed with him. A KM class just happened to have sparring – well there you go:box2::combat:

rottngirl

LOL No kidding about the marriage counseling! I nearly cracked hubby’s cup in a class 2 weekends ago and the looks I got from 2 girls working close by made me feel obligated to explain my partner was my hubby…and that this was GREAT “couples therapy” sometimes! Ha! As for coming to classes with injuries, I’m still recovering from ACL Reconstructive Surgery (done back in June), and though I’ve gotta wear my brace and limit my performance level through Dec, I was cleared by my Dr. to return to classes last month. Even with my physical limitations right now, I’m still having a blast! Any day I get to be in class is a GOOD day for me, regardless of how worn out or bruised I am afterwards. lol It’s one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done in my life, and easy to get addicted to!

sheisa

I have gloves that I carry (had them from my boxing days).

I know when I was boxing Dh and I were going through a marriage crisis and it kept me from killing him. Of course, we are back to “normal” marriage life but we still have those days!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: