Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics new to krav, a few questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    dgm89

Hey everyone, i have never done any krav before, and am looking to go to a trial class next week. I am 19, and was just wandering how old most people in your class usually are. I guess i am just curious if i will mostly be training against people who are for the most part older than me.

Also, can someone tell me what i should expect to do in the trial class. I assume i will just be thrown into a class with people who are already in level one. I also have no martial arts training, so once i sign up for full time the first class i go to will be krav basics. Can anyone tell me how many krav basic classes you think i will need before i can just move onto level one classes? thanks.

paul

Re: new to krav, a few questions

i am by no means an expert here, but it seems that the classes i have seen and participated in have age groups that run from 20’s to 50’s

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum!

Don’t assume everyone in the class knows more than you. In a level one class they’ll be newbies like you as well as more experienced folks. That’s not a bad thing. Experience in other MA is helpful but not required. There’s usually all ranges of age groups.

Basically, take no assumptions with you, take water, a towel, take the class and find out how you like it. If you decide to continue, it depends on how much you train and how quickly you learn the techniques. Training class I’m not familiar with (started at level 1 when I started) so ask the folks there all the questions you can.

It’s up to you – enjoy the class:wav:

anthony

dgm, in the schools I have instructed at, we generally allowed only adults into our Krav Maga classes. Because of the nature of the system a certain amount of maturity and modesty was required. However, we did have many students right out of high school getting prepared for college life who fit in very well. Generally our students ranged in age from late teens up to late 50’s. You should fit in nicely.

Get there early and get to know the instructor and students a bit. Most likely after going over some basics with the instructor you will be “thrown” into a level one class. It is not as bad as it sounds as you will see for the most part everyones’ egos are checked at the door. Approach your first class with an open mind. You can expect a fairly intense warm-up session. Push yourself as much as possible, without over doing it. Make sure you have water and a towel near by. If you have to leave the floor to take a break do so. Warm-up is followed by stretching, then into some drills, proper techniques in striking, self defense, etc. At some point an “exhaustion” or “stress” drill is thrown in.

Each student is different, but the way the system has evolved it allows you to be brought up through the ranks very quickly. By the time you have finished your first class you will have learned some self defense techniques. You will also discover you really can push yourself more than you ever thought when you need to.

night-robin

And DO NOT allow yourself to get discouraged. My first Krav INTRO class nearly killed me. Now I do Intro and Level One back to back twice a week. Soon I’m moving up to Level two. If your first class seems hard, just remember it can only get easier with time.

dgm89

hey thanks for the responses everyone. Just curious, how intense and how long are the cardio warmups usually? Right now i have been training for about 6 weeks with the bas rutten mma workouts (great recommendation from this site), and would like to know on days i have krav class if the class warm up will sufficiently replace the bas workout for that day. I have pretty strong endurance and don’t want to slack on workouts.

skelegirl

I just want to reiterate the sentiments expressed by everyone else. My second class had a person with mobility issues (but damn, he could throw an elbow strike) as well as someone in his mid to late 60s. As I’ve said before I consider myself “the fat kid in little league” in my classes but I’ve gained confidence, as well as definitely improved my overall health thanks to KM. Considering I sit in front of a computer, grading papers or writing my dissertation, this is a vast improvement in my overall fitness level.

I can only speak from personal experience, but after that first class, I felt like King Kong on cocaine. Just try it out, read up on it and go for it. Its not for everyone. I’m just glad that I did (actually, I have to thank my husband and his colleagues because they are the ones who said I needed this-Going to Africa in 6 weeks!)

nate

quote Dgm89:

hey thanks for the responses everyone. Just curious, how intense and how long are the cardio warmups usually? Right now i have been training for about 6 weeks with the bas rutten mma workouts (great recommendation from this site), and would like to know on days i have krav class if the class warm up will sufficiently replace the bas workout for that day. I have pretty strong endurance and don’t want to slack on workouts.

Warmups are usually just enough to get your blood pumping and your muscles … uhhh warmed up. I’d say usually around 15-20 minutes at our school, then we get into combatatives / striking exercises and drills.

The warmup and drills will be as hard as you make them. What you put into it is what you’ll get out of it, just like the Bas CDs. Since you’ve done some training, you should be good to push yourself after a couple classes.

nauticus

quote Dgm89:

Just to emphasis what some others mentioned, the warm up is not a work out. It’s a warm up. The entire class may be a work out, depending on your fitness level (I don’t think 6 weeks is enough to make you in good shape, but it’s a good start).

dgm89

Again i appreciate all the responses and advice. Just curious, what gear do you think i will need? Obviously groin protection and i guess some gloves. Anyone have any recommendations on gloves? Also, i’m going to order compression shorts with cup online but they won’t be here in time for my trial class, will i be okay at the trial class without a cup? Or should i just go out and buy a cheap one till i get my real one in the mail.

mara-jade

Level 1 – wraps, groin protection, mouthguard. For trial class – call and ask. Sparring usually doesn’t occur until Level 2 so may not need gloves yet unless the place has K.O.

nauticus

quote Dgm89:

Again i appreciate all the responses and advice. Just curious, what gear do you think i will need? Obviously groin protection and i guess some gloves. Anyone have any recommendations on gloves? Also, i’m going to order compression shorts with cup online but they won’t be here in time for my trial class, will i be okay at the trial class without a cup? Or should i just go out and buy a cheap one till i get my real one in the mail.

Contact the club you’re going to. They’ll know the answer to your questions better than the people here will.

night-robin

quote mara_jade:

Level 1 – wraps, groin protection, mouthguard. For trial class – call and ask. Sparring usually doesn’t occur until Level 2 so may not need gloves yet unless the place has K.O.

What is “K.O.” exactly?

mara-jade

Cardio kickboxing to music with KM moves

night-robin

Sounds pretty cool.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: