Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ryan17

Hi everyone,

I’m Ryan, I joined the forum today. Just finished introducing myself.

I’ve been eager to learn self defense, and I’m very eager to learn Krav Maga. I live in Stockton, Ca. 17 Male, 5’6, 150. I’m not in shape. I’ve never had prior martial arts or fighting experience. I’m timid, shy, and not aggressive.

I’m new to the Krav Maga world. Here’s some stuff I’m concerned about:

1. I have read that for Krav Maga, a person should have prior martial arts experience to learn more effectively. How true is this, and how would a person like me, who doesn’t know the correct form for punching or kicking, be affected?

2. I’m not very in shape, but I’m not too out of shape either. What should I do to prepare for something so vigorous as Krav Maga? I’ve read some puke on their first day, others pass out. How does a first day go? I’ve never been to a gym, so I don’t know how to properly lift weights or stuff like that. (You can imagine how nervous I am just thinking about how my first day will go)

3. Is Krava Maga right for someone as inexperienced as me? Seeing as how I don’t even know how to properly liftweights, punch, or kick. Should I do something less strenuous?

4. Can anyone recommend a place here in Stockton, Ca?

Thanks for taking your time and helping a new member out! 🙂

wiccaman

Re: New to Krav Maga

Hi Ryan, welcome aboard.

Don’t worry about the lack of experience. In many ways this is an advantage. It means you won’t have picked up any bad habits; and trust me, it’s harder to ‘unlearn’ something you want to get rid of than it is to pick up a new technique from scratch. It’s true that a background that’s compatible with krav can give you a bit of a head start. A boxer will know how to punch, a mauy thai person will probably throw a good roundhouse kick for example (although the MT folks may have trouble remembering not to drop the hand whilst kicking). However you’ll soon pick up the form and the it’s just a matter of drilling until it comes naturally.

As to the fitness; well, you remember that book a few years back: ‘Everybody Poops’? Someone should do a krav book called ‘ Everybody Pukes’. At first you may find the pace borderline intolerable; but stick at it and you will be amazed with yourself. Within a few short months (and that time will fly) you’ll be banging out burpees like you’ve joined the Marines (although unlike the Marine you won’t actually enjoy doing them)

Enjoy the classes and post back here to let us know how you’re getting on.

Al

ryan17

Thanks! Can you recommend a place here in Stockton, CA? I can’t spot the difference between a legit one vs. a mcdojo.

kmyoshi

As with any exercise: be sure to have a good energy source (e.g: oatmeal) at least an hour before training. I made the mistake of not eating a good breakfast (lots of meat and things that take a while for the stomach to break down and use as energy) and I felt like throwing up afterwards although I didn’t.

Most Krav classes will do a 10 minute or so warm up which will make you feel winded at first but after a week or two, your body will get accustomed to it so you’ll get in shape while doing this as well.

ryan17

Thanks KMyoshi!

I’ll make sure to keep that in mind on my first day. I’m still looking for a place here in Stockton. I’m not able to spot a legit one vs. a mcdojo. Here’s what I’m looking at right now: http://www.stocktonkarate.com/krav-maga1.htm

If you have any more first day tips, that would be great!

catapult

quote Ryan17:

Thanks KMyoshi!

I’ll make sure to keep that in mind on my first day. I’m still looking for a place here in Stockton. I’m not able to spot a legit one vs. a mcdojo. Here’s what I’m looking at right now: http://www.stocktonkarate.com/krav-maga1.htm

If you have any more first day tips, that would be great!

That place is listed as a KMW licensee so I’d say you’re good to go.

https://kravmaga.com/locations/licensees-affiliates/licenseesaffiliates-worldwide-all-locations-list/

ryan17

Thanks @catapult. Will contact them soon for a free class.

I’m nervous about how inexperienced I’ll look compared to the other people there. What should I expect? What do I bring on my first day?
    It’s nerve wracking how clueless I’ll be, since I’ve never taken any martial arts or anything like that. Never even been in a gym. I’m still pumped up and excited though!

catapult

Don’t worry about your inexperience, Ryan. Beginning Krav classes are for everyone — teens, housewives, middle-aged accountants, etc. Bring shorts, t-shirt, sneakers with clean soles, drinking water and a towel.

ryan17

Will do. I’ll keep an open mind. Is there anything I should expect? What common mistakes should I avoid? I don’t want to be the new student that goes in there looking like an idiot. Thanks again! 🙂

stuartf

Just relax and pay attention. Drink a lot of water during the day before you go and bring some to drink during class. If you feel like you need to stop or you’ll puke get outside and breathe some fresh air. It’s a lot less embarrassing to take a little break than to puke all over the mat (and it’s easier to clean puke off the sidewalk).

ryan17

Thanks everyone. I want to make sure I get a lot of information before I start my first day.
    Anyone want to share a few things to expect, that maybe someone new wouldn’t have expected? Would greatly appreciate it. And what are common mistakes beginners make, that I should try to avoid?

I’m also shy and timid, and a little nervous (well a lot, lol) how do I get rid of that?

Thanks again!

stuartf

I think the most common mistake I see when working with new people (and I was guilty of as well) is that they want their punch to be stronger so they end up sort of pushing the pad. My advice to avoid this and end up punching stronger sooner is don’t worry about the strength of your punch and focus on the technique. When you get the technique down the punch will naturally be strong.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: