Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jackb03

Im sure this post has been on here a lot. Just wanted to ask some questions for y’all. Im new to martial arts and never trained to fight. Im 28 years old and looking to get back into shape. Ive heard KM would be a good place to start for beginners, self defense and to get in-shape.

When looking online, a lot of people frown on KM. Most claim to go to MT or BJJ first since you learn a lot more plus groundwork. My main goal is to learn to protect myself in a street fight. I dont think Ill ever try to compete.

Has anyone ever actually used KM in a street fight?

Is it effective?

Should I do another type of martial arts for what Im trying to accomplish?

Thanks everyone,
    Jack

doublestrike

Re: New to Martial Arts

Hi JackB03,

Due to the fact that you posted your question in a KM forum, the answers you’ll most likely receive will be obviously biased towards KM. 🙂

In my experience, most people who have trained in KM or who are currently training KM have had some sort of prior martial / fighting arts experience. They usually have relatively good grasp of the basics that all systems possess. They usually find themselves drawn to KM because of its no-nonsense / direct movements that are designed to for one goal – they simply work.

A good number of my fellow classmates at my KM school work in law enforcement and are active U.S. military. That in itself speaks volumes. Personally after training in KM for about 7 months or so, a jerk of an employee surprised me in the hallway at work where he did a double hand choke to my neck from behind to startle me. I instinctively executed the appropriate KM defense without thinking. Obviously this wasn’t a street fight and my life was not in danger, but my reaction to the situation pleased me to no end and further solidified my belief in the validity of KM.

To make a further argument for training KM, just realize that it’s the official self defense system of the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces). Every Israeli citizen who lives in Israel servers a mandatory 2 year stint in the IDF (both men and women). The USN SEALs regularly train with the IDF. If it works for them in combat, surely it will work on the street don’t you think?

For yourself, if you truly have no martial arts experience and want to get in shape, then I would highly recommend you start out with MT. That will give you a great foundation in boxing, body mechanics, and of course kicks.

Best of luck!

jackb03

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely take a look at MT.

Appreciate the insight. I’m excited to get started.

maddogmean

Jack,

I had no prior martial arts training and was severely out of shape. I was a bit hesitant to start something like KM, but 6 years later I can say it was the best thing I ever did.

There’s a difference between self defense and fighting. If you’re looking to be the better of two guys squaring off in the street…MT/BJJ is the way to go. If you’re looking for a system that will give you the skills and mentality to recognize a threat, defend against the threat, and get to safety as quickly and effectively as possible…then that’s more in the Krav arena.

And to add to DoubleStrike’s work story…I had a dream that I was being choked and woke up doing the Krav two-hand pluck defense.

lions2011

Much of BJJ is useless in real life.According to one of the Gracies I Read. However the 20 percent that is good is really golden to have in your arsenal. Some people utterly pyscho about their BJJ and they think it is the be all system. Chances in a real fight it would be over in 30 seconds and involves close combat striking only. Also many BJJ people do not have to worry about people dropping elbows or hammer fists on them either.
    I am going to try a core white belt class this summer and I think it would be good to learn.

don

someone is now on Ignore…

coondogger

People are always asking, ‘what is the best martial art to learn?’ I don’t think it matters. If you find a legitimate teacher, and you are a committed student, any martial art will allow you to defend yourself. I have been in martial arts for forty years and I have never seen a style that I didn’t think was effective when done by an experienced practitioner.

kms1974

I studied Muay Thai and Bjj prior to starting KM only because I didn’t know anything about KM. I find that they are a great compliment to KM…so if you can study all three 🙂 If you can’t, there is nothing wrong with studying KM first.

andrewfetler

quote JackB03:

Im sure this post has been on here a lot. Just wanted to ask some questions for y’all. Im new to martial arts and never trained to fight. Im 28 years old and looking to get back into shape. Ive heard KM would be a good place to start for beginners, self defense and to get in-shape.

When looking online, a lot of people frown on KM. Most claim to go to MT or BJJ first since you learn a lot more plus groundwork. My main goal is to learn to protect myself in a street fight. I dont think Ill ever try to compete.

Is it effective?

Thanks everyone,
    Jack

If you are taking these classes for self defense, I’d like to suggest you, that start from something very basic. As these tae kwon do lessons are the base for higher forms of taekwondo like MMA, Kickboxing,Krav Maga, and once you gain the proficiency in basic form, the rest of it will come to you naturally.

lennykravist

quote JackB03:

Is it effective?

Thanks everyone,
    Jack

I’m still a beginner myself, so maybe I can relate to you on this. I didn’t take ANY self-defense or Martial Arts classes of any kind until I was 39 (I’ll be 40 this year). And I’ve only been in 2 fights my entire life. With that said, I picked Krav because of its practicality and use for real-world situations. I only have time for one MA, otherwise, I’d probably throw BJJ or MT in there too, along with Krav. I needed something fast and decisive, if it ever came down to it. I’m only Level 2, but Krav is the best decision I’ve made regarding what to practice. Maybe I’m biased, but being a new guy to any kind of training and choosing Krav works for me. Like many more knowledgeable than me have said, pick what your priority is (Self-Defense or point fighting) and choose accordingly. At the least, check out an intro class and see what works for you. Regardless, it’s also a good idea to have SOME kind of ability, be it MT, BJJ or Krav, to defend yourself. I picked Krav because it has a bit of everything.

kmman

Personally for self defense I’d only take Krav or MMA. I don’t want to get into the street vs sport debate here but for me those two will do the job. In my opinion, if its strictly self defense, Krav Maga. If you want to dabble in sport aspects then MMA…location of a training facility can play into it as well.

Traditional arts are great and enjoyable but to ramp up to the point you can actually use it in self defense takes a long time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: