Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jaeroo

I bought a new, rare video at a military base retail store (Navy Exchange) last Friday called \”Combatant:Extreme Self-Defense\”. It showed different scenarios (knife to throat/held at gunpoint/sucker punch/sidekick/grabbed from behind/baseball bat attack) and each of the responses for each from different instructors representing different styles. The instructors’ names are Bill Kipp (FAST Defense), Grand Tuhon Leo Gaje (Pekiti-Tersia, Kali), Sifu Mike Casey (EBMAS Wing Tsun), and, guess what, Moni Aizik (Combat Survival-Commando Krav Maga). Overall, I prefer the simple, straight forward techiniques of Moni Aizik and Bill Kipp (excellent emphasis on de-escalation, however I don’t agree with him on putting the briefcase down before a confrontation since it is a great weapon of opportunity). As for Mike Casey, he’s kind of in between. I do like his idea of keeping whatever is in his hand as a weapon but his strikes don’t seem to have power in them, maybe for safety during training). As for Grandmaster Gaje, he uses too many techniques, mainly grappling and jointlocks. They’re too complicated for the unitiated. And they are a little bit of an overkill. Since I’m not even on the advanced level on Filipino martial arts, I’m even baffled by the techniques. However, I won’t question its effectiveness. No disrespect, but from what I observed, he seemed sort of like a sadist. He’d lock a hold and hold it for for about 5 sec. (and smiling sardonically at the same time) even when his partner taps out and then transition to another move and do the same thing. He’s great, however, on weaponry, especially knives and sticks. In the introduction of the program, the host also says there is no perfect methods or techniques in the video and it is up to the individual to decide. And I think everyone definitely agree on that. The analysis of the techniques are just based on my personal opinion learned from my experiences. Has anyone heard of this DVD? If so, what do you think?

unstpabl1

Mike Casey is an excellent Instructor and ran Emins HQ School in L.A. I tried to get into Wt, but coming from a KB frame found it hard. They taught it w/Latose eskrima. Personally I liked the eskrima better. Back in the days before I was a punching bag, sparing some good WT guys were good matches. Mike can demonstrate his art. He came from KB and chose WT. The power thing with Wing Chun can be deceptive and you can hit harder than you think. Its a structual thing and the step puts the BW behind it. Even more so with WT asthey do this weird goose step thing with the punch. I use to tease him with what can you expect from German kung fu.I saw Mike a few years back and they were getting more practical SD orientated than in the past

Tapes like that are a great idea. Did it give you a good feel for the philosophical differences between t5he systems? And ideas for your own developement?

jaeroo

The DVD was helpful in helping the individual analyze the styles best suited tho their abilities/experiences. And, it has even helped me revamp or slightly alter my techniques. Like what Moni Aizik said, techniques evolve continuously. And by the way, Mike Casey uses a chain of straight punches as he comes toward the opponent, pretty much the straight blast as learned in JKD. The 1-inch punch demonstration by Mr. Casey, which was a bonus footage, was interesting.

If you ever have a chance to attend a Tuhon Gaje seminar you have to go.
    I am actually going to the Philippines in March to train with him. He is extremely bad ass, very smart, and funny as hell when he goes off talking about tearing someones eyes out. And then simulating cutting off the attackers nuts, throwing them in the air and catching them in his mouth.

The way he demonstrates techniques though may look complicated. What he does is basically showing you all the different locks and holds that you can do from a position. So it may not necessarly be all one technique. Thats why some of them go on for 5 min.

greenbeanie

Re:

[jaeroo]
    \”Like what Moni Aizik said, techniques evolve continuously. And by the way, Mike Casey uses a chain of straight punches as he comes toward the opponent…\”

By the way, Mike Casey is also a Level II Commando Krav Maga instructor.
    http://www.combatsurvival.com/html/locations/ca.html

jl

Styles aside……I have met and worked out with both Moni and Mike Casey. Both have an extreme amount of knowledge in their styles and are very aware of others. Mike is a great guy and has a high level of knowledge and integrity.
    Moni is tough but fair, and a blast to workout with(once you get passed the bruises) 😯 lol! While I was with these two men, I never heard them say any disparaging remarks on anyones style or preference. Made things a lot more fun that way! 😉 And yes Mike is Level II Instructor in CKM as well as Sifu in WT.

anonymous

\” And then simulating cutting off the attackers nuts, throwing them in the air and catching them in his mouth.\” 😯 🙁

What would be the purpose of that last part in a self-defense situation? Sounds more like wacky torture… I hope he doesn’t swallow, does he? 🙁

unstpabl1

Re:

quote \”JL\:

Styles aside……I have met and worked out with both Moni and Mike Casey. Both have an extreme amount of knowledge in their styles and are very aware of others. Mike is a great guy and has a high level of knowledge and integrity.
    Moni is tough but fair, and a blast to workout with(once you get passed the bruises) 😯 lol! While I was with these two men, I never heard them say any disparaging remarks on anyones style or preference. Made things a lot more fun that way! 😉 And yes Mike is Level II Instructor in CKM as well as Sifu in WT.

]

Thanks for the info on Mike. Didn’t know about the ckm. I pretty much have narrowed down training options, but I’ll give him a call and see what he’s up to.
    mike

whatever

I know Bill Kipp personally. Fine man, expert in stress scennario training.

anonymous

CKM is different from the KM taught at the NTC or other major KM organizations. It seems to have more joint locks than direct counters. Haven’t studied it though, just mentioning it for your information.

jaeroo

I’ve heard great things about Moni Aizik in this forum. I have also seen Tuhon Gaje in the \”Surviving Edged Weapons\” video, which I also have. Being an occassional customer to Paladin Press, I first heard of Bill Kipp featured in there when browsing through videos in the catalog. His most known video was called \”The Missing Link of Self Defense\”. As for Mr. Casey, I have never heard of him until now. But I’ve heard of the EBMAS system he was trained in and its founder, Emin Boztepe. Unfortunately, the first time I heard about Sifu Boztepe was his fight with William Cheung, a Wing Chun instructor, and his verbal challenge to Royce Gracie, the first UFC Champion and icon. However, whether it was true or not, it’s all in the past.

greenbeanie

Re:

[Giantkiller]
    \”CKM is different from the KM taught at the NTC or other major KM organizations. It seems to have more joint locks than direct counters.\”

Moni Aizik has a new DVD out entitled, \”Street Survival.\” One will get an understanding of his philosophy on self-defense from this DVD.

https://secure25.securewebsession.com/combatsurvival.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=76&osCsid=8ae34cf0e0bbe73fd6668f564e1245f7

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: