Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Newbie asking a somewhat newbie for advice

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    katoe

Only been training in KM since May usually going twice a week so I consider myself a newbie compared to other people in my class. Last night I partnered up with someone taking their first class. He asked about how long I’ve been training etc. and then during drills he kept asking if he was doing it correctly (choke from front and back with push). I know these moves but didn’t feel comfortable critiquing him but I also didn’t want to seem like an ass. So I helped him as much as I felt I could without giving him the wrong advice. Since this was his first class I wanted to be as friendly as possible so he would join to learn more. Did I do the right thing or should I’ve waved to the instructor to have him critique the new student?

giant-killer

Hmmm, I think it would be okay for you to help him out as best you can. You probably know the basics of the techniques by now. If you were unsure about something, I would have called the instructor over, maybe telling him/her that your partner was new and needed a bit of special attention. I think at the NTC they always ask if it’s someone’s first class, so they can come over to the person more often and make sure he/she is doing alright.

katoe

Hey GK, thanks for the response. I always look forward to your posts and respect your opinion and advice. The instructor knew he was new but it was a large class and we were going over things pretty fast. I’m 100% confident if the instructor did notice me giving poor instruction he would been over in a jiffy.
    It’s just that I’ve been in the same position before when starting KM(asking my partner for advice during drills) and have had mixed results. Most of the time positive and encouraging but one time I sensed the person getting annoyed. Typically the instructors are walking around during drills watching for technique errors and correcting on the spot.

leejam99

when in doubt…always ask the instructor. that’s what we are there for. better to be safe than teach the wrong techique to your partner than have the instructor correct both of you again…than you look like an ass to your partner 🙂

wyatt9696

I see no problem helping your partner to the best of your ability, but your instructor should be aware that the both of you are sorta/kinda new, and that his/her attention might be needed. The only thing I see in some classes is that some students(with good intent) try and show their partner a certain technique or part of one, and do it improperly. In that case the instructor needs to pay attention to what’s going on, and make the proper recommendations and corrections. Good luck with your training.

giant-killer

Yeah, the instructor can’t be in all places at once, so helping out your partner is fine. Just be honest with him and tell him if you are not sure about how to do parts of the technique. Once the instructor comes around, you can then ask him come over and explain in more detail.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hi Katoe

Eye contact with the instructor while heís walking around is a good way to get help. Typically while teaching heís scanning the room looking for potential issues that might need adjustment. If he seeís your both stopped for a minute and looking his way chances are heíll come over.

No one expects you to know everything and in a fast paced class its often difficult especially in a larger class to get to everyone. If for some reason you canít get their attention you can always wait till after class and take a minute to ask.

When all else fails thereís the technique section here in the forums and thereís no shortage of advanced students and instructors to help you.

If you have a question just ask Iíll bet youíll be surprised how many of us jump to answer.

Good luck with your training sounds like youíre off to a great start.

Sean

unstpabl1

I think I learned more from being forced to teach acting then I did from years of class. When your forced to explain and demo something, you start to truely internalise it.

That said on someones first class, if their asking for help. you do the best you can to make them feel welcome. Their biggest fear is looking stupid. Help the best you can, if they ask, but make sure you get your reps in. Explain its your class time as well and their not going to learn it in a day anyway. I always tell people if it was easy it have no value. Everybody has to struggle thru. If you get confused, grab the instructor, chances are it creates a great topic for them

The scary part comes later, when you been training around 3-6 months or so and you start coaching all your partners and not letting them learn at their own pace. Cause you just know their screwing up the w/o. I think learning to partner up is a very deep interpersonal relationship study. everybody seems to muddle thru 😆 Hope that helps

Sean, glad to see the avatar back 😀 hope your healing

vwr32

Re: Newbie asking a somewhat newbie for advice

quote \”katoe\:

Did I do the right thing or should I’ve waved to the instructor to have him critique the new student?

I try not to answer questions that haven’t been asked, but in this case the guy was asking for your input. Sometimes I get a partner that is nothing but advice, others won’t say a word. It doesn’t bother me to have someone offer unsolicited advice. It shows me they’re paying attention to what I’m doing and helps to open a line of communication between students.

I think you did right. If you and I were partnering up, I’d hope you’d tell me when I was getting sloppy on my stance or not covering up when I should. Not everyone appreciates a \”helpful\” partner, but it sounded like this guy did.

unstpabl1

quote \”vwr32\:

quote \”katoe\:

Did I do the right thing or should I’ve waved to the instructor to have him critique the new student?

I try not to answer questions that haven’t been asked, but in this case the guy was asking for your input. Sometimes I get a partner that is nothing but advice, others won’t say a word. It doesn’t bother me to have someone offer unsolicited advice. It shows me they’re paying attention to what I’m doing and helps to open a line of communication between students.

I think you did right. If you and I were partnering up, I’d hope you’d tell me when I was getting sloppy on my stance or not covering up when I should. Not everyone appreciates a \”helpful\” partner, but it sounded like this guy did.

Thats a pretty good summary of the situation. Thats the hard part though, Huh? Finding that line between being a PIA and helping. When to speak up and when to shut up. 😀

vwr32

quote \”unstpabl1\:

Thats the hard part though, Huh? Finding that line between being a PIA and helping. When to speak up and when to shut up. 😀

I’m better at it in real life… this forum stuff leaves a little to be desired. 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: