Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books newbie question shadow boxing or bag work?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stevem174

Currently I am not able to attend classes, the nearest school is 115 miles from me. So I am working on KM on my own until I can work in a seminar or private lessons.
    I am using KRAV MAGA for Beginners and plan to order Bas Ruttenís workut DVD/CD set.
    Which is more important shadow boxing or bag work?
    Thanks!

stevetuna

Re: newbie question shadow boxing or bag work?

Both. Shadow boxing for form, timing and rythem, movement, etc. Hitting the heavy bag for power and maximum weight transfer. If I could only choose one, I’m hitting the heavy bag. One of the best things I was ever taught was to punch hard every time I’m hitting something. Develop the desire and ability to maximize the transfer of your force through your striking surface (fist, palm, elbow, knee, shin, etc.) into your target. Hit the heavy bag HARD every single time!

The Bas CD workout is fantastic. Watch the DVD that comes with it so that you can see how the workouts should be done.

Best of luck! Keep us posted on your development!

Agree with Steve: Both. However to pick one go with the heavy bag.

stevem174

Thanks for the help!

theduke

[quote=stevetuna;50969]Both. Shadow boxing for form, timing and rythem, movement, etc. Hitting the heavy bag for power and maximum weight transfer. If I could only choose one, I’m hitting the heavy bag. One of the best things I was ever taught was to punch hard every time I’m hitting something. Develop the desire and ability to maximize the transfer of your force through your striking surface (fist, palm, elbow, knee, shin, etc.) into your target. Hit the heavy bag HARD every single time!

quote]

I was wondering the same thing when practicing at home. Wasn’t exactly sure how much speed vs actual power to deliver. Thanks

clfmak

Definitely both- I’ve seen people that only hit the bag develop habits that will put you off balance if you don’t actually make contact (and considering the number of punches in streetfights that miss their mark, and how quickly a mistake can turn into a serious defeat). Definitely do both. For self defense methods, the bags shaped like a person are quite nice.

stevem174

quote CLFMak:

Definitely both- I’ve seen people that only hit the bag develop habits that will put you off balance if you don’t actually make contact (and considering the number of punches in streetfights that miss their mark, and how quickly a mistake can turn into a serious defeat). Definitely do both. For self defense methods, the bags shaped like a person are quite nice.

I am trying to talk my gym into buying a BOB.

Thanks for all the help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: