Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics newbie questions – sorry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

hi all,
    i am sorry if any of these questions seem a bit silly or annoying:chair:.
    but i have some questions i can not really find the answers to:dunno:.

1.) i am unfit and and about 110 kilos and not really that flexable, should i try and get fit and loose wait before i begin training?

2.) i am planning on going 2 nights a week, how much more is advised to do in spare time, i have alot of spare time.

3.) is there any form of martial art that i could do that will complement the art at all? i was thinking of doing wing chun as well.

4.) how long would it take before we start seeing improvement, the reason i ask is that my wife will be training too. she has started a new job in a really really bad area and i want her to be able to defend herself.

any help with any of these answers would be great thanks.

vwr32

Re: newbie questions – sorry

I think a lot of your questions will be answered as soon as you start taking classes. This especially applies to question #4. And if u’re unfit and no flexibility, you’re in the right place. The key is to keep coming back.

kmman

quote krav_and_chun:

hi all,
    i am sorry if any of these questions seem a bit silly or annoying:chair:.
    but i have some questions i can not really find the answers to:dunno:.

1.) i am unfit and and about 110 kilos and not really that flexable, should i try and get fit and loose wait before i begin training?

Answer: Isnt one reason you are training to get fit and increase flexibility?

2.) i am planning on going 2 nights a week, how much more is advised to do in spare time, i have alot of spare time.

Answer: 2 nights is fine. Why cant you go more (if you want?) Your body does need rest however.

3.) is there any form of martial art that i could do that will complement the art at all? i was thinking of doing wing chun as well.

Answer: Im not an MA expert but all MA can compliment. One with similar concepts is Jeet Kune Do. Also look into Judo or BJJ because they are effective. I believe Krav Maga is all you need but if you want more, look into those. If you are looking for culture etc, then a Traditional Martial Art would be OK. That would increase flexibility. A Krav instructor may suggest otherwise if he feels it will confuse you. Ask.

4.) how long would it take before we start seeing improvement, the reason i ask is that my wife will be training too. she has started a new job in a really really bad area and i want her to be able to defend herself.

Answer: You will improve each class. Go at your own pace. Compete with yourself only. You can literally learn something the first day that will help you. That does not make you an expert. Just learn each class.

any help with any of these answers would be great thanks.

Hope this helps. again, I am far from an expert.

kmman

Sorry, dont know enough about Wing Chun to comment but I would be interested to see if Wing Chun complimented Krav. I understand it to be a striking/trapping art. Thats a pretty good question as to what other martial arts compliment Krav Maga. Example, a lot of Judo players will take a striking art to compliment—as do BJJ people. Muay Thai people will take up grappling. Seems like Krav is fairly complete but its an interesting question/debate.

quote krav_and_chun:

If you are just starting or haven’t started yet, I would recomend sticking with Krav first… Especialy if you are out of shape. The first reason is that when you’re starting to train in two different styles, you’re going to have trouble retaining everything. Also, when you first start training, you have that extra push because you’re starting something new and you just want to pick up as much knowledge and you can. After 6 months or so, though, it’s going to be difficult to keep up propper training with two different systems.

I definately recomend eventualy branching out and picking up more techniques if that is what you’re interested in (especialy to strengthen areas you are weak in), but I would suggest that you wait and see where your motivation level is in 6 months. Just my .02.

Welcome and good luck with your training!!!

J-

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: