Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dnakamoto

Hey everybody!! I just wanna say that, as a newbie to the “martial art” of KM, this is absolutely the best forum I could have ever found!!

I have a question:

I have spoken to Frontline Krav Maga founder Rick Seid via email, and is currently in the process of training to become a certified instructor under him. The sole purpose is to bring the art of KM to the island of Guam(where I currently reside). I am originally from Hawaii, and have been trained in Tae Kwon Do, Shobukan Judo, Shotokan Karate and some kung fu.

Well, my question is, after reading a lot of posts in this forum, I was wondering, what is the difference between a school that is affiliated with Krav Maga Worldwide and one that is not? Is becoming certified under Master Rick Seid not acceptable by other KM instructors if his school is not under KMWW? Will I not be considered an acceptable instructor once certified under Frontline KM?

The only reason I’m concerned is because I want to bring this must needed survival life skill to this tiny island, and give everyone a chance to learn how to properly defend themselves against a life threatening situation.

I am hoping that becoming certified to teach Frontline KM will definitely be something that will be accepted by other KM artists.

Thanks and God Bless everyone!!

mara-jade

Re: Newbie to Krav Maga

Welcome to the forum!

There are instructors who post here but your best bet is to contact KMWW directly so you get the right answer :wav:

https://kravmaga.com/index.php/Contact-Us

dnakamoto

Thanks Mara!! I’m excited to see what I can learn from this forum. There’s no one on this island that is involved in KM(yet), so it’s hard to chat with anyone about it. That’s why I really wanna expose this important life skill to the locals here.

I’ll definitely contact KMWW. Thanks and God Bless

mara-jade

No problem. We love to discuss all kinds of things here. We just prefer not to get into the ‘My <whatever you practice> is better than yours’. Such a waste of energy:wav:

dnakamoto

I totally agree that arguing which MA is better than which is a definite waste of time and energy. Every MA has its strong points(and weaknesses), and you should always keep an open mind. I wouldn’t have known the world of high explosive kicking if it weren’t for TKD, and I wouldn’t know how to hit the mat(the RIGHT way) if it weren’t for Judo. I accept all training for what it has to offer, and am grateful for all that I have learned.

dixonmj

I know someone else on here can probably answer this better than I, but here’s my 2 cents for what it’s worth. I’m not familiar with Mr. Seid or Frontline. But, a certification to teach under Frontline would not transfer to KMWW or the IKMF (Both tracking their lineages to Imi). FYI – Beware Moni Azik and his Combat Krav Maga. He has some questionable claims.

Now, to the crux of the matter. I think it would be prudent to ask him where he trained, for how long and who gave him his authorization to teach. If he’s on the up and up, he shouldn’t mind providing that info. I would go so far as to ask him to produce credentials.

As you probably know, in traditional martial arts, it is customary to understand a teacher’s lineage and history. So, I see no difference in seeking the same from him. In today’s age, it easy to become a self-made Master of anything. So, caution is needed. After all, you’re going to put considerable time and money into your training, especially if you want to teach. Any reputable KM program is going to be tough and the intructor certification process is going to be down right brutal, from what I’ve seen. So, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I’ve been training in martial arts for years, but just recently started KM in the KMWW organization. I had to conduct research, weed through the political mess and talk to people to make an informed choice. But, the homework has paid off and I found a reputable school that I enjoy and that thoroughly kicks my arse. I too want to teach one day. It will be a long road with a lot of blood and sweat, but it’ll be worth it in the end.
    Good luck and don’t give up!

dnakamoto

Although Rick Seid and his Frontline KM is supposedly not affiliated with KMWW, he is a reputable instructor, and his lineage goes back to being trained by Eli Avikzar, who was Imi’s first black belt. I have heard and also read posts from many people who are extremely familiar with the KM world(a world which I am a total newbie to), that Rick Seid is a great instructor with a great KM curriculum.

seeq-qc

IMO don’t get too caught up in the martial artist mindframe that lineage is everything. Krav isn’t a martial art. Educate yourself like you are doing now but specifically: talk to his students, work out with him, watch some online videos of the various teaching approaches and technique differences between Seid and KMWW and make an informed decision based on what your goals and priorities are.

thumbsup

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: