Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Next best defense method?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nimrod

If I can’t find a local place to learn KRAV MAGA….(Utah)…What is the next best technique? I’m interested in no-nonsense self defense. Not interested in fancy kicking etc. I would like to learn locks, throws and grappling techniques. Suggestions?
    ALSO, are any of the KRAV MAGA videos any good?

ryan

Do you want to learn \”no-nonsense self defense\” or \”locks, throws and grappling techniques\”. 8)

clfmak

If you’re trying to learn on your own:
    1. Get a heavy bag, and learn how to hit it. Keep your hands up to guard and your legs apart w/knees bent. Learn to punch straight and circular. Learn to hit with your palms and elbows. Learn to hit hard with the edge of your hand if you want. Also- learn to kick it- hitting with the heel and also with the shin. You might also learn to headbutt. Learning to hit a target is non-negotiable.
    You can get most of these by researching muay thai or mixed martial arts, or for one source check out http://www.close-combat-video.com. This is Carl Cestari’s site. No nonsense self defense, definitely. There’s also videos about holds and locks from combat jujutsu.

2. Get a partner(s). You’ll only get so far on your own. And you definintely can’t learn to grapple without a partner. Finding a partner can be tricky.

If you’re interested in throws and locks, you might also want to check out the street grappling videos by Matt Furey. http://www.mattfurey.com. I don’t know about his fighting approach, but the fitness stuff is good.

aflt

Where in Utah? I’m originally from the Salt Lake area, I may be able to provide some suggestions, although I haven’t lived there in years, so my information may be a little dated 😕

sip

you might want to look into finding a good Brazilian Jujitsu or Vale Tudo school. Ask if they spar, how much contact is allowed, etc. Try to find places where instructors have ring experience-no holds barred, mixed martial arts, etc.

chuck

Pedro Sauer has a school in Sandy, Utah. He’s a BJJ Black belt under Rickson Gracie. I believe he also has a Thai Boxing program. Good luck.

combat10

check it out!

check it out!
    http://www.combatsurvival.com

ryan

Canada would be a helluva commute from Utah. 🙄

Advertise somewhere else.

susannah

I liked CLFMak’s answer, altho I do disagree w/kicks, myself. Rather use knees, if you really think that kicking is needed at all. Best thing – IMO – would be to learn to counter-punch to kicks.

Anyway, I say the above because I’m a believer in keeping your both feet on the ground. An experienced fighter knows when it’s safe to kick, but that’s not really so important.

Nor is jujitsu. Yes, you need to know that _basics_, but otherwise having good striking is the most essential piece of the physical puzzle, and good conditioning is always a bonus.

So heavy bag is prolly the best thing you can have if you practice alone.

Then again you have to learn the right mindset, cause having the tools alone isn’t any good. So learn about that aswell. Psychology in the sense of reading situations
    and knowing how the body and mind work in stress situations is IMO more important than having any tools.

If you end up fighting, you’ve messed up \”self-defence\” already. You weren’t in control of the situation, and ended up swinging, which is always a lose – lose situation, no matter if you end up in the morgue, jail or just have a broken hand or you are worrying about if you’ll get caught for breaking that man’s jaw.

Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: